0
Votes

Fire Does $30,000 Damage

A fire at a Chantilly mobile home, early Saturday morning, injured a male occupant and caused an estimated $30,000 damage. It happened around 5:50 a.m. at 14712 National Drive in the Chantilly Meadows community off Route 50 west and displaced four adults and two children.

Fire officials say the fire was accidental; they believe it was caused by a space heater placed too close to combustibles. The occupants were there at the time, but were able to evacuate when they realized their home was on fire.

According to the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department, an adult male received first- and second-degree burns to his face and hands. He was treated on the scene and then taken to Inova Fair Oaks Hospital for further medical care.

First arriving units reported heavy fire visible from the front of the mobile home. According to fire department spokesman Lorenzo Thrower, "Pretty much the entire mobile home was engulfed in flames."

The fire quickly spread into other areas inside the home, causing significant damage. Firefighters from Chantilly, Fair Oaks and both Centreville stations responded and were able to quell the blaze in about 20 minutes.

<tgl> — BONNIE HOBBS