Beautiful spring weather is part of the tradition of Great Falls Day, scheduled to begin with an opening ceremony at 10:30 a.m. on Saturday, April 20, on the showmobile stage at Great Falls Grange Park. Events will continue through the day at the 1890 Schoolhouse, the Great Falls Library, and the surrounding picnic shelter and park.
Here are some of the events that are scheduled:
Showmobile Stage, Grange Park:
• Opening Ceremony, 10:30 a.m.
• Sweet Dixie, Thione Carpenter, Rockin’ Country, 11:30 a.m.
• Liz Keller sings, 12:30 p.m.
• Cooper Middle School Living History Players
• A song for Thelma Feighery by Sweet Dixie
• Music by Kings Park German Band, 1:45 p.m.
The Schoolhouse, noon to 4 p.m.:
• Re-enactments of a 1915 classroom, noon and 2 p.m.
• Cooper Middle School living history players
• Sundial demonstrations, Analemma Society
• Hands-on Children’s Museum
• Recess games for children.
Great Falls Library, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.:
• Freedom Tree Dedication, 10 a.m.
• Puppet show, “Trickster Tales” and “Anansi the Spider,” Barefoot Puppets, 11 a.m.
• Fun with Flowers, Great Falls Garden Club, 1 - 2 p.m.
• Raffle of prize baskets, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Grange Hall, 11 a.m. - 3 p.m.:
• Historic Community Picture Display, Great Falls Historical Society
• Farm Life Display, 4-H Display
• Crafts display
Grange Park Playground, 11 a.m. - 3 p.m.:
• Kiddie Carousel
• Organ Grinder with puppets
• Face Painting
• Pet-Me Pony
• 4-H Animals
• Cotton Candy and Soda
Grange Grounds, All Day:
• Antique cars
• Native plant sale
• Telescope and star gazing; dusk
• Fire Safety Trailer
Grange Cafe, 11 a.m. - 3 p.m.
• Hot dogs, coffee, pastries
• Thelma’s Ice Cream Social, noon - 2 p.m.
• Spring Antique show
• Open House, School of Theatrical Dance
Events are sponsored by the Fairfax County Park Authority and the Great Falls Historical Society with support from local businesses, Brogue Charities, Dranesville District Supervisor Stu Mendelsohn, Great Falls Woman’s Club, Great Falls Trailblazers, Great Falls Citizens Association, Great Falls Ecumenical Council, Great Falls Business and Professional Association, Friends of Great Falls Library, Great Falls Garden Club, Great Falls Friends, Amadeus Concerts, Great Falls Equestrian Society Great Falls Art Center, McLean Fire Department, Great Falls Fire Department, and the Great Falls Newcomers.