Get Active in Your Local Community

Get Active in Your Local Community

August 6, 2002

<bt>The Western Fairfax County Citizens Association (WFCCA) is a local citizens' activist group which has shaped much of the development in Centreville.

The organization comprises representatives from more than 50 homeowners and civic associations in the Centreville/Clifton area. It serves as an umbrella organization for homeowners in the area from south of Route 50 and west of Stringfellow/Clifton roads to the Fairfax County line.

Each community with an active civic, community or homeowners association sends a representative to the WFCCA to serve on one or more of its committees. New communities and those not currently represented are urged to participate.

The group meets quarterly — January, April, July and October — the third Monday of the month, at 7 p.m., in Supervisor Michael R. Frey's (R-Sully) conference room in the Fort Hill building at 5900 Centreville Road, Suite 205, in Centreville. The meetings are open to the public. Richard Smith of Pleasant Hill is president.

One of the group's main purposes is to get residents involved with issues facing the community. It focuses attention on land-use, transportation, environmental and educational issues. This nonpartisan group provides a forum where citizens can meet with county and state officials, developers and other groups whose decisions can affect the quality of life in Centreville. Call secretary Carol Hawn at 703-266-6872.

The most active committee in the WFCCA is the Land-Use Committee, which meets every third Tuesday of the month at 7 p.m., also in Supervisor Frey's conference room, and the public is encouraged to attend.

The committee, chaired by Jim Katcham of Centre Ridge Regents, reviews development plans covering everything from architecture to landscaping to road improvements. It also hears and tries to resolve residents' concerns regarding proposed projects.

When the WFCCA is satisfied that a project meets its environmental, transportation and density standards — and is in keeping with the county's Comprehensive Plan — it recommends approval to the county Planning Commission, a body of appointed officials that reviews development and rezoning requests prior to the county Board of Supervisors' review.

The Planning Commission usually follows the WFCCA's recommendations, but the Board of Supervisors normally has the final say. Call Jim Katcham at 703-803-8177.

<mh>Town of Clifton

<bt>Clifton is an incorporated town of about 200 residents with its own town council making decisions on architectural design, land-use, business, zoning and other issues.

Meetings are held the first Tuesday of each month at the Clifton Town Meeting Hall, 12641 Chapel Road, and are open to the public. Meetings begin at 7:30 p.m. If a public hearing is scheduled, meetings start a half-hour earlier, at 7 p.m. Call Mayor Jim Chesley at 703-830-2129 or town clerk Pam Wallace at 703-830-9619.


<bt>The Sully District Council of Citizens Associations serves as a forum for fact-finding, research and dialogue among citizens and civic and homeowner association leaders within the Sully District. Its mission is to inform residents of issues affecting the district and the county as a whole, promote the interests of citizens associations and enhance the welfare of Sully District residents. The council currently represents some 35 civic and homeowners associations — and addresses controversial issues affecting the county as a whole.

Bull Run Estates resident Mark McConn is president of the council, which meets the fourth Wednesday of each month at 7:30 p.m. in Conference Room 7 of the Fairfax County Government Center, 12000 Government Center Parkway, in Fairfax. The meetings are open to the public. Call McConn at 703-818-9124.

This group also has a land-use and transportation committee which meets the first Monday of the month, at 7:30 p.m., in the conference room adjacent to Supervisor Michael R. Frey's (R-Sully) office in the Fort Hill building, 5900 Centreville Road, in Centreville. Call Jeff Parnes, 703-904-0131, evenings.