August 6, 2002
<bt>* Clifton Town Council — meets the first Tuesday of the month at 7:30 p.m. at the Clifton Town Meeting Hall, 12641 Chapel Road. Call Mayor Jim Chesley at 703-830-2129.
* Clifton Planning Commission — meets the third Monday of the month at 7:30 p.m. in the Clifton Town Hall. Call chairman Bill Hollaway at 703-815-3269.
* Architectural Review Board — An organization that approves structural and cosmetic changes to houses, fences and other out-buildings to maintain the historic flavor of the town. Homeowners must submit an application to the board before a building permit will be issued. Meets the fourth Thursday of the month at 7:30 p.m. at the Clifton Town Hall. Call Royce Jarrendt at 703-266-0767.
* Clifton Betterment Association — meets four times a year to maintain the historical integrity of Clifton by sponsoring Clifton Day, the Fourth of July party, Clifton 5K Caboose Run, charity events and by working to preserve the green space around town. It also publishes a directory and quarterly newsletter, The Clifton Clatter. Call Keith Abbott 703-830-1780 or Emmi Holmes at 830-1457 or check out the Web site at www.cliftonva.org.
* Clifton Community Woman's Club — a service organization that is open to residents of the Clifton community and surrounding areas. Meetings are the first Thursday of the month. The 9 a.m. meetings are at the Fairfax Station Museum and the 7:30 p.m. meetings are at members' homes. Call President Sharon Emory at 703-690-2720 or Membership Chairman Nancy Valenza at 703-815-2570.
* Clifton Community Woman's Club Homes Tour — meets usually the third Thursday in May. The club selects five houses in the area for touring and then sells tickets for the event. All the money that is made goes to charity. The club also funds scholarships for students headed to GMU or NOVA. Call Diane Smith at 703-830-3418 or Membership Chairman Nancy Valenza for more information or for how to join at 703-815-2570.
* Clifton Lions Club — meets the second and fourth Thursdays of the month at 7 p.m. in the Clifton Town Meeting Hall. This group contributes all funds raised by charity events to organizations helping the blind and hearing-impaired. It also holds an annual pancake breakfast. Call Lions Club president Carl Allen at 703-440-8341.
* Clifton Lioness Club — This service organization meets the second Tuesday of the month at 6:30 p.m. at the China Gourmet restaurant in Fairfax. It raises funds for people with disabilities. Call Carol Mace at 703-830-0897.
* Cemetery Association — The organization manages the grounds of the Clifton cemetery. They do not advertise for the selling of lots. The annual membership meeting is usually during the end of April. Call Keith Pearson at 703- 239-9563.
* Fairfax Jugglers Club — teaches and holds practice in juggling. Meetings, which are free and open to the public, and are every Thursday, 7:30-10 p.m. Call Pete Walker for seasonal location at 703-250-3281.
* Friends of Fairfax Station Board — all-volunteer board of directors that runs the Fairfax Station Railroad Museum at 11200 Fairfax Station Road, Fairfax Station. For membership information about this historical railroad association, call president Joan Rogers at 703-278-8833.
* Alcoholics Anonymous — meets every Tuesday at 8:30 p.m. at Clifton Presbyterian Church. Call 703-876-6166.
* Acacia Lodge — The Acacia Masonic Lodge 16 meets the first Thursday of each month at 7:30 p.m. in the Masonic Temple on Main Street in Clifton. Call Tom Hatcher at 703-631-9753.