August 8, 2002
A Concert of Worship Music will be performed by Dave Forbes on Sunday, Aug. 18, at 7 p.m., at Centreville Baptist Church on Lee Highway. There is no charge for attendence. Call 703-803-7113.
Crafters are wanted for the annual Craft Bazaar to be held Saturday, Nov. 2, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Christ Presbyterian Church, 12410 Lee-Jackson Hwy., Fairfax Call 703-378-6838 for an application.
Clifton Presbyterian Church has the following events during August.
* Sundays: 8:30 and 11 a.m. Worship Services
9:45 a.m. Adult Education: A video-discussion series has begun, featuring Dr. Bart D. Ehrman on the historical context of the New Testament.
* New Adult Bible Study this Fall. A 34-week study program, following the "Disciple: Becoming Disciples through Bible Study" approach, will emphasize disciplined reading of and listening to Scripture encompassing 70 percent of the Bible. The class will meet Mondays from 9:30-11:30 a.m. Childcare available. Contact Carl Howard at 703-830-3175.
* Aug. 19: OWLS' Luncheon 12:30-2 p.m.
* Aug. 18: Youth lead worship at Village Church, Springfield.
* Aug. 28: End of Summer Youth Party. Contact Pastor Julie at 703-830-3175
Aug. 28: Sanctuary Choir rehearsals recommence.
Centreville Assembly of God is sponsoring a Kid's Fair for children ages 4-11 on Saturday, Aug. 10 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The Rev. Rose Mary Dinges of Mannings, WV, is the guest for this occasion. There will be games, refreshments, Bible stories, puppets and singing along with a special handcraft that the children will be able to take home. Children from the area are invited to attend not only Saturday but also on Sunday from 9:30 a.m. to noon. A free-will offering will be taken both days.
There are Christian education classes for all ages from the cradle roll to senior adults with qualified teachers in each class. Morning worship is at 10:30 a.m. with lively singing and an up-to-date message by the pastor.
There is an in-depth Bible study on Wednesdays at 7:30 p.m. for adults. There is also a Youth service for teens from 12 & on up. Jackie Hansen is the teen leader. Centreville Assembly of God is located at 14821 Lee Highway, Centreville. Call Rev. David A. Forkey at 703-830-1841.
Congregation Yad Shalom is a conservative synagogue located in Centreville. It provides a traditional service with a progressive format to enhance a Jewish lifestyle.
* There are wonderful opportunities for a Hebrew school for the children.
* The High Holidays will be coming shortly. Make plans to celebrate the New Year.
* Join the special Havdalah service and dinner at the home of Jerry and Nancy Gordon on Aug. 17.
* Call Mike Goldenzweig at 703-968-0370, or visit the Web site at www.yadshalom.neighborhoodfind.com.
Temple Beth Torah is a Reform Jewish congregation and member of the Union of American Hebrew Congregations (UAHC) that meets at St. John's Episcopal Church in Centreville. The congregation offers the Northern Virginia Jewish community services that provide numerous spiritual, educational, support and social opportunities including religious school for member children age 3 through Bar/Bat Mitzvah and confirmation. Call 703-263-2252 or visit www.BethTorah.net.
* Saturday, Aug. 17 — Special Havdalah service as Ari Winer becomes a Bar Mitzvah. Begins at 6:30 p.m. in the chapel.
* The TBT Torah Camp Registration is underway now. Friendships in the Torah will be celebrated. The camp will run Monday thru Thursday, Aug. 12-15 from 9 a.m. to noon at St. John's. The E.C. Lawrence family field trip will be held on Thursday, Aug. 15. Registration forms are available
* High Holidays schedule is as follows:
* Friday, Sept. 6 at 8 p.m. — Erev Rosh Hashanah;
* Saturday, Sept. 7 at 9 a.m. — Rosh Hashanah children's service;
* Saturday, Sept. 7 at 10 a.m. — Rosh Hashanah followed by Tashlich service;
* Sunday, Sept. 15 at 8 p.m. — Kol Nidre;
* Monday, Sept. 16 at 10 a.m. — Yom Kippur Morning;
* Monday, Sept. 16 at 5 p.m. — Yom Kippur concluding service and break-the-fast. Call 703-263-2252.
Temple Beth Torah is accepting Religious School applications for both existing and new Temple Beth Torah members. Call 703-263-2252.
News From Christ the Redeemer —
Six Flags Theme Park — Children’s and Youth Ministries are hosting a Family Day on Saturday, Aug. 17 at Six Flags Theme Park. The cost is $25/person (includes admission, dinner voucher and transportation). A bus will be chartered for the all-day event. Registration deadline is Sunday, Aug. 11. Permission slips are required. The bus will depart from Centreville Elementary at 9 a.m. Call David Young at (703) 257-3383.
Christ the Redeemer Episcopal Church meets at Centreville Elementary School on Sundays at 10 a.m. Sunday school, KIDS Church, and a nursery are provided for children. Call (703) 502-1732 or visit the Web site at www.connectwithctr.com.
Centreville Community Church will offer a study of the book of Proverbs and talk about Doing Life according to the wisdom of God. Free childcare and an exciting program is provided for the kids. Services are 10:30 a.m. each Sunday at Bull Run Elementary School. Call 703-580-5226.
Centreville Presbyterian Church Summer Schedule
* Preschool Story Time, Aug. 12, 19, and 26, 10-11 a.m. at CPC playground.
* The Great Escape. Rising 7th-9th graders will join hundreds of other youths at DeSales University, Pa., for music, speakers, huge group games and white-water rafting. Cost: $269.
* Planet 56 Adventure Week, Aug. 12-16, from 9:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Rising 5th-7th graders will venture out on exciting field trips. Cost: $80, for transportation, events admissions, and food.
* Sunday Seminars, 6-9 p.m. "Bible for Dummies", Aug. 11. "Stress Busters," Aug. 18. "Are Miracles Really Possible?" Aug. 25.
Call CPC at 703-830-0098. CPC is located at 5690 Sully Road, Centreville, at the I-66 and Route 28 interchange.
Capital Worship Center will hold weekly Bible Study and Worship Services on Wednesday nights at 7:30 p.m. at Centre Ridge Elementary School (14400 New Braddock Road, Centreville). Also offered at this time will be Youth Services, Children's Fellowship and a Nursery. Call 703-530-8100.
Vendors wanted for the 10th Annual Classic Car Show/ Flea Market and Crafts Show, Sept. 7, at Pleasant Valley United Methodist Church, 43987 John Mosby Highway. (Route 50) in Chantilly. Table space will be $12. Call Becky at (703) 631-9896.
St. John's Episcopal Church offers the following:
Sunday Eucharist services are at 8 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. A nursery for children up to age 3 is available. Opportunities for adult, youth and child enrichment are offered. On Sundays: Christian Formation for all ages, Adult Lectionary Class and Newcomer Class at 9:15 a.m.; Children's Chapel at 10:30 a.m.; Youth Music and Youth Group at 4:15 p.m. and 5:30 p.m., respectively. On Mondays: New Testament Class at 7:30 p.m. On Wednesdays: Morning Bible Study at 10 a.m.; Eucharist and Healing Service at 9:15 a.m. on Thursdays: Children's Choir at 5 p.m.; Adult Choir and Education for Ministry at 7:30 p.m. Call 703-803-7500 and visit the Web site at www.stjohnscentreville.org.
St. Andrew Lutheran Church will change its worship schedule through the summer. Sunday morning worship will begin at 8:15 and 10:15 a.m. and continue through the remainder of the summer. The Sunday evening services will continue at 7 p.m. The church is located at 14640 Soucy Place, Centreville. Call 703-830-2768.
Centreville Presbyterian Church invites the public to participate in its activities and classes:
* Worship services — Sundays at 8:30 and 11:15 a.m.
* Sunday School at 10 a.m. for all ages.
* Youth Fellowship — Wednesdays from 7-8:30 p.m.
* Choirs, Worship Team and Instruments of Praise.
Call the church office at 703-830-0098 or visit www.CentrevillePres.org regarding other summer events.
CPC is located at 5690 Sully Road, Centreville at the I-66 and Route 28 interchange. Call 703-830-0098.
Mount Olive Baptist Church activities:
* Church Services: Rev. Eugene Johnson, pastor
* Prayer Meeting/Bible Study — Wednesday, 7 p.m.
* Sunday, Morning Worship — 7:30 and 10:30 a.m.
* Sunday School — 9:45 a.m.
Mount Olive Baptist Church is located at 6600 Old Centreville Road, Centreville. Call 703-830-8769.
Cedar Run Community Church's Sunday service is held at 10:30 a.m. at Waples Mill Elementary School. New Community monthly worship service is held on the third Sunday of every month from 5-7:15 p.m. at Centreville Presbyterian Church. Free pizza dinner starting at 5 p.m. Childcare provided.
Interested in learning about Cedar Run? Visit the Web site at www.cedarrun.net or call the church office at 703-968-7312.
Clifton Presbyterian Church activities:
* Sundays: 8:30 and 11 a.m. Worship Services
* 9:45 a.m. Christian Education for all ages
* Women's Bible Study Group meets first and third Tuesdays at 10 a.m.
RSVP to Church Office 703-830-3175.
Christ the Redeemer Episcopal Church holds a contemporary worship service on Sunday mornings at 10 a.m. at Centreville Elementary School in Centreville. Sunday School, K.I.D.S. Church, and a nursery are provided on Sundays. The Web site is www.connectwithctr.com. Call 703-502-1732.
Mount Horeb A.M.E. Mission Church invites the public to worship on Sunday mornings at 11 a.m. at Virginia Run Elementary School, 15450 Martins Hundred Drive in Centreville. The Rev. Larry C. Rogers is the pastor. Call 703-330-2109.
New Hope Fellowship currently meets at 10 a.m. at Rocky Run Middle School, with worship at 11 a.m. each Sunday. The school is located at 4400 Stringfellow Road, Chantilly. Call 703-591-2948.
Oasis Ministry is a Christian support group for men struggling with pornography, sexual addictions or same-sex attractions. For more information on weekly Centreville meetings or personal help, call 703-830-6999. Or write Oasis Ministry, P.O. Box 602, Centreville, VA 20122. Free confidential HIV/STD testing through Oasis available. Confidentiality is assured.