Aug. 14, 2002
The Unitarian Universalist Church of Arlington, 4444 Arlington Blvd., is hosting a workshop on the Federal Group Long-Term-Care Insurance Program (FLTCIP) on Wednesday, Aug. 14, from 7-9:30 p.m. There is a $15 fee. Call 703-892-9061 to register.
The Parents of Children with Epilepsy support group will meet on Tuesday, Aug. 20, from 10-11 a.m. at the St. Charles Borromeo Catholic Church located at 3304 N. Washington Blvd. Call the Northern Virginia Epilepsy Group at 703-425-6660.
ICAN of Northern Virginia (International Cesarean Awareness Network) is having its monthly meeting on Wednesday, Aug. 21, at 7 p.m. at Inova HealthSource, 2832 Juniper St., Fairfax/Merrifield, Room 2A. ICAN is a nonprofit organization that seeks to lower the rate of unnecessary cesareans, supports vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC), and encourages positive birthing through education and advocacy. Call ICAN at 703-237-6136 or email email@example.com.
Virginia Hospital Center will present the following programs. Most classes take place at the John T. Hazel, M.D., Conference Center, 1701 N. George Mason Drive. Times and locations are indicated. Call to register for all classes at 703-558-5000.
* We Can Hope. Meet other people with cancer and their families to receive emotional support and information on Thursday, Aug. 15, from 7:30-9:30 p.m. No registration required.
* Early Stage Breast Cancer. Women with breast cancer discuss sexuality, self-esteem, emotional changes, as well as effective coping techniques on Monday, Aug. 19, from 5 -6:30 p.m. No registration required.
* Recurrent/Mestastic Breast Cancer. Share experiences with other women who have mestastic or recurrent breast cancer on Tuesday, Aug. 20, from 1-2 p.m. No registration required.
* Spirituality Group. The hospital chaplain facilitates discussion for patients and families on spirituality and living with the diagnosis of cancer on Tuesday, Aug. 20, from 10:30-11:30 a.m. No registration required.
* Prostate Cancer Support Group-Man to Man. A discussion group for men and their spouses or significant others will be held on Tuesday, Aug. 27, from 7-8 p.m. No registration required.
* Lymphoma. A discussion group for persons diagnosed with Hodgkins disease or non-Hodgkins lymphoma will be held on Wednesday, Aug. 28, from 4-5 p.m. No registration required.
* Hospital Tour for Expectant Parents. Tours of the Hospital's Labor, Delivery and Recovery, Nursery, and Postpartum units are offered for adults only on Friday, Aug. 16, and Sunday, Aug. 25, from 2-3 p.m. The tours are free of charge, but preregistration is required.
* Infant Care Skills. Expectant mothers can learn how to hold, diaper, burp, and bathe a newborn. Nursery needs, infant safety, and growth and development will be discussed, as well as routine procedures, in the hospital's nursery on Thursday, Aug. 22, from 7-9:30 p.m. There will be a lecture by a pediatrician as well. The cost is $30.
* Saturday Childbirth Class. This class prepares expectant parents in one session by covering pregnancy, labor, delivery, and the postpartum period, on Thursday, Aug. 22, from 7-9:30 p.m. The cost is $125.
Volunteers are needed to become a personal service volunteer at the Arlington Agency on Aging. Volunteers will assist residents over 60 with the help they need in negotiating their way through the maze of information about medical insurance and available aging services. Volunteers will also be trained to assist with a variety of needs, such as arranging ongoing home care, assistance after hospital discharge, exploring housing options, filling out forms or determining eligibility for services. Specialized training will be available for those interested in working with insurance issues, such as Medicare, Medigap, long-term-care insurance and managed care training is provided on Saturdays and evenings. A September orientation is scheduled. Call Lori Hughes, personal advocate services coordinator, at 703-228-1734.
The Arlington Center for Well-Being, at 3800 N. Fairfax Drive, Suite 5, offers workshops throughout the year. Call 703-522-7710 to register, confirm times and for fees:
* Inner Transformation, a weekly support group for people who want to look at personal issues that get in the way of healthy relationships. Requires a minimum six-week commitment on Sundays at 5 p.m. Cost is $45 per session.
* Depressives Action Group meets during the day on Wednesdays for people with mild depression. The group provides emotional support and a task support system will help get through the week. Cost is $30 per session.
* Being Heard, Being Healed is a weekly group that gives members a place to share their stories and experiences for a healing transformation. Meets Thursdays, from 8-10 p.m.
* Honoring the Healer Within. Explore subtle therapeutic treatments for infants, children, and parents that provide integrative support for emotional and physical challenges with Nishanka Lahr, craniosacral therapist, at 10 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 17. Cost, $10. Call 703-522-7710.
* Making Sushi and Health Foods. Learn about Asian vegetables, ingredients, and cooking methods while making and enjoying delicious dishes at noon on Saturday, Aug. 17. Cost, $10. Call 703-522-7710.
* Wellness Plus: Basic Health, Wellness and Weight Management Program. Learn how to make lifestyle changes to reduce the risk of disease, restore health and maintain optimum weight, at 7 p.m., Wednesdays, through Aug. 21. Involves nutrition, label reading, food preparation, stress reduction and fitness. Cost is $89.