FEA Gets Grant
<bt>The National Education Association handed out 25 urban grants of $5,000 each, including to the Fairfax Education Association (FEA). The grant to FEA will be used for a new program called "MegaSkills" aimed at 20 previously identified low-performing Fairfax County public schools. The program is designed to help teachers increase parental involvement, improve student achievement and to help add Character Education to the curriculum. The FEA is a three-time winner of this grant.
<sh>Snow Closes Schools
<bt>Last Thursday's storm dumped enough snow on the area to close schools Thursday and Friday and canceled all after-school activities, athletics, field trips, adult evening classes and closed school-aged care centers those two days. In addition, it forced the cancellation of the School Board meeting scheduled for that evening.
Items such as votes on the 2003-2004 school calendars; the awarding of contracts for a telecommunications lease with APC Realty and Sprint at Centreville High School; for architectural services for the design of the Woodson High School renovation project to Architecture Inc.; for predevelopment services for the new South County high school; and the Community Task Force on the Budget will be added to the Dec. 19 agenda.
Administrative offices were open Friday and Saturday's activities went on as scheduled including testing for the Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology, SAT testing and weekend athletic events.
<sh>FCPS Events Calendar
<bt>Wednesday, Dec. 11, 7 p.m.
School Board special meeting, principal of the year. Luther Jackson Middle School, 3020 Gallows Road, Falls Church.
Wednesday, Dec. 11, 7:30 p.m.
* Minority Student Achievement Oversight Committee meeting. Walnut Hill Center, 7423 Camp Alger Ave., Falls Church.
* Advisory Committee for Students with Disabilities meeting. Belle Willard Center, 10310 Layton Hall Drive, Fairfax.
Wednesday, Dec. 18, 7 p.m.
* Human Resources Advisory Committee meeting. Human Resources Center, 6815 Edsall Road, Springfield.
* School Health Advisory Committee meeting. Devonshire Center, 2831 Graham Road, Falls Church.
Wednesday, Dec. 18, 7:30 p.m.
* Advisory Committee for the Gifted and Talented meeting. Walnut Hill Center, 7423 Camp Alger Ave., Falls Church.
Thursday, Dec. 19, 7:30 p.m.
School Board regular business meeting. Luther Jackson Middle School, 3020 Gallows Road, Falls Church.
Friday, Dec. 20
Second grading period ends for modified elementary calendar Fairfax County Public Schools.