July 22, 2002

Montgomery County provides weekly curbside collection of recyclables for all single-family homes and townhouses.

Call 240-777-6410 to obtain a bin.

* Materials that can be placed in the bins include separated paper products, metal cans, aluminum foil products, plastic bottles without caps, and glass bottles and jars without caps.

* Mixed paper can be combined together and bundled with twine or placed in paper bags, not boxes. Magazines and soft-cover books are recyclable, including phone books. Do not place more than three phone books in a bundle. Hard cover books can be recycled if their covers are removed.

* Cardboard boxes for recycling need to be flattened and put into bundles not larger than three feet wide and three feet long by six inches thick. Twine should be used to bundle.

Please do not mix paper with bottles and cans in the bin. Use the bin for commingle and place paper recyclables in a bundle or bag next to it.

* Single-family residents can also have their grass clippings, leaves and brush picked up for composting. They should also be placed in the large, brown paper bags, not plastic bags.

If recyclables have not been picked up, or for other information regarding trash and recycling collection, call 240-777-6410. To leave a message, call 240-777-6411 or visit the Web site at

Other Recycling

* Plastic Bags: Giant and Safeway recycle plastic grocery bags. Drop off bins are located at the stores.

* Hazardous Waste: Residents can drop off materials such as auto batteries, motor oil, large appliances, clothing and textiles at the solid waste transfer station, 16101 Frederick Road at the intersection of Shady Grove Road and Route 355. Hours: Monday-Friday, 7:30 a.m.-8 p.m.; Saturday, 7:30 a.m.-5 p.m.; and Sunday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. No trucks on Sunday please. Hazardous waste, such as paint thinners and pesticides, can be dropped off at local collection sites only at specific days during the year. Call the Transfer Station at 301-840-2370, or visit