<lst>Potomac Seniors gather at Potomac Community Center, 11315 Falls Road, during the week for a variety of activities between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. The program includes entertainment, health screenings and education, chair exercises, crafts, speakers, counseling, theme parties, monthly mini-trips and intergenerational activities.
* 10:15-11:15 a.m., Tai Chi Chaun with C. L. Young. Enhance muscle tone, improve balance and flexibility, free.
* 10-10:30 a.m., coffee and camaraderie;
* 10:30-11 a.m., chair exercises, follow along with a video;
* 10:30-11 a.m., blood pressure screening, the second Tuesday of every month, sponsored by Suburban Hospital;
* 11 a.m.-noon, activities, check the calendar;
* 11-11:30 a.m., Senior Health Insurance Assistance Program, the third Tuesday of the month;
* Noon-12:30 p.m., lunch, bring your own and socialize with other seniors;
* 12:30-2 p.m., various programs, check the calendar.
* 10-11:15 a.m., Tai Chi Chaun with C. L. Young, free.
* 10:15-11:15 a.m., Tai Chi Chaun with C. L. Young, free.
Seniors may also use the community center’s weight and exercise room for free between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. on Tuesdays by registering for a senior pass. Door-to-door transportation is available on Tuesdays through Paratransit.
For more information about senior programs, or to obtain a copy of the newsletter of calendar events, visit http://www.co.mo.md.us/rec/Seniors/ptmsr.html, or call 301-983-4471.
The AARP Widowed Persons Service will meet on Sunday, April 14, at Bauer Drive Recreation Center, 14625 Bauer Drive in Rockville. Refreshments and socializing begins at 2 p.m. At 3 p.m., Dr. Yan Qiu He from the Washington Metropolitan Center for Integrative Medicine will speak on the topic of herbal supplements. The group gives free weekly support to anyone widowed less than two years. Travel and other activities are available to all widowed persons regardless of how long they have been widowed. Call 301-949-7398.
The Montgomery County Department of Recreation’s Senior Programs is seeking musicians, speakers, hobbyists and travel buffs to provide entertainment and share information with older adults at senior centers and neighborhood programs throughout the county. Volunteers should call Vivienne Portner at 301-657-0627 or Helen Abrahams at 301-468-4223.
A free seminar on long term health care insurance will be held on Monday, April 8, from 1-3 p.m. at The Cooperative Extension Services Agricultural History Farm Park, 18410 Muncaster Road in Derwood. Sponsored by the Maryland Cooperative Extension Senior Health Insurance Assistance Program, the seminar will help participants determine if long term care insurance is needed, policies available, benefits and pricing. A question and answer period will follow. Call 301-590-9638.
The RSVP Program of the Montgomery County Volunteer Center seeks a volunteer to focus on senior outreach and recruitment. Outreach efforts will target new retirees and those planning their retirement in an effort to engage them in volunteer service. Duties include developing public relations materials, researching current business pre-retirement programs and speaking to senior groups about volunteering. Call 240-777-2600.