Reston Week

Reston Week

News in Brief

<sh>Hunter Mill's Lord and Lady Fairfax

<bt>Bob Dim and Rena Baker have been named as the Hunter Mill District's Lord and Lady Fairfax. The recipients will be recognized at the June 3 Board of Supervisors meeting at the Fairfax County Government Center, 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax.

"It is always exciting to recognize members of our community for their service and commitment as volunteers. Bob Dim and Rena Baker exemplify the volunteer spirit and, in their actions alone, challenge us all to do the same," noted Supervisor Catherine M. Hudgins.

Bob Dim has worked with the youth of Reston for nearly 20 years, providing programs to build citizenship and establish a foundation for their future development.

Rena Baker was instrumental in developing the English as a Second Language program of the Literacy Council of Northern Virginia, changing the lives of thousands of individuals. Baker continues to work on behalf of the needy as a SALT volunteer and trainer, advocating for low-income members of the community.

<sh>Man Arrested for Trespassing

<bt>Fairfax County Police arrested Jose Otero-Ayala, 25, of 11577 North Shore Drive in Reston, and charged him with trespassing at South Lakes High School. About 1:30 p.m., Friday, a school employee saw Otero-Ayala walking in the hallway of the school. He contacted school security personnel and, with the assistance of the school's resource police officer, Otero-Ayala was notified that he was trespassing and asked to leave. Later that day, he was observed back on school property seated in a car with the seat laid back. He was arrested for trespassing and transported to the Adult Detention Center where he was held in lieu of a $10,000 bond.

<sh>Grill Causes House Fire

<bt>Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a house fire in a single family home in Reston on Monday, May 20. The home is located on Freetown Drive. Firefighters reported a deck on fire extending inside the home. The occupants, two adults and five children, escaped without injuries. The Red Cross is assisting with their housing and other needs. The fire caused and estimated damage of $40,000. The cause of the fire was determined to be a barbecue grill located too close to combustible materials.