Potomac Man Burned in Fire

Potomac Man Burned in Fire

Units from five fire stations responded to a kitchen fire on Lloyd Road in Potomac on Monday, Nov. 25.

A 75-year-old man from Potomac suffered first- and second-degree burns to his hands while trying to extinguish a fire that started on his stove top.

Fire and rescue officials warn residents that cooking is the leading cause of home fires in the United States and is also the leading cause of fire injuries. Deaths due to fires caused by cooking are particularly avoidable, according to Pete Piringer, of Montgomery County Fire and Rescue.

Firefighters from Rockville and Cabin John Park Volunteer Fire departments responded to the 10100 block of Lloyd Road in Potomac for a report of a fire in the kitchen at approximately 9 a.m. on Monday, Nov. 25.

The resident apparently was cooking and fire started on the stove, said Piringer. The fire extended from the stove to the cabinets, but fire personnel were able to put out the fire within 10 minutes, he said. The Potomac resident was transported to Shady Grove Hospital in Gaithersburg.