The 47th annual Potomac Country House Tour, sponsored by St Francis Episcopal Church in Potomac, will feature four outstanding Potomac-area homes on Saturday and Sunday, Oct. 5-6. The homes will be open for touring from noon-5 p.m. on both days. Tickets are available at outlets throughout Montgomery County. Call 301-365-2055
The tour includes:
* Texas Connection: Owners Cathleen and Randall Howard remodeled a 6-year-old Cape Cod, shingled home to include a log cabin loft for the children and a Will Rogers room in the basement.
* European Country: Located in Rapley Reserve, the appearance is of a 16th-century English country house including a prominent turret and French forecourt accommodating an eclectic mix of French, English and Italian cultures with striking family art deco heirlooms. Home of Donna and Neal Gumbin.
* Political Memories: Memorabilia from past lives and events at the time of President Nixon and a thank-you welded cross delivered by the New York Port Authority Police from the World Trade Center are only a few of the items in homeowners Sherry Turner and Stephen Bull’s collection.
* Colorful Extravaganza: Marilyn Polling’s designer’s touch throughout the house balances colorful modern paintings with Asian antiques. Striking statements in colorful décor will cheer all the tour-goers. Home of Linda and Donald Rheem.
In addition to the home tour, other activities will be held at the church both days at 11 a.m. including the following:
* Boutiques at St. Francis: Wearables, stationery, home accessories, gourmet foods, floral arrangements and more are shown by local and out-of-state vendors.
* Cottage Shop: Crafts, clothes, toys and decorative accents for home and garden, many crafted by talented parishioners.
* The Bottom Line Silent Auction: Vacations, golf outings, VIP tickets to local sporting events, gift baskets including items for the home and garden and fun things for children. The auction will be held in the Kincaid Library at St. Francis Church. Bidding will close at 4 p.m. on Sunday. A live auction for higher-priced items will occur during a cocktail reception on Friday evening, Oct 4.
* The Luncheon: St. Francis Café will be open to serve a light a la carte buffet lunch on both days from 11:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. in St. Francis Hall. Hot and cold entrees will be served along with assorted breads and iced tea.
* Dessert Bar and Goodies to Go: A selection of desserts, coffee, tea and soft drinks to go.
Advance tickets are $15, day-of-tour tickets are $20.
All proceeds benefit St. Francis Community Outreach Programs, some of which include Boys and Girls Homes of Maryland, Community Based Shelter, Companions in Word Mission, the Dwelling Place, For Love of Children (FLOC), MANNA Food Shelter, Martha’s Table, Montgomery Hospice Society, St. Stephen’s (Loaves and Fishes), and Stepping Stones.