Montgomery County provides weekly curbside collection of recyclables for all single-family homes and townhouses.
To obtain a bin, call 240-777-6410 Mon.-Fri. from 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. or visit the website at www.mcrecycles.org. Fax the Division of Solid Waste Services at 240-777-6466. TTY is 240-777-6442.
* Materials that can be placed in the bins include separated paper products, metal cans, aluminum foil products, plastic bottles without caps, and glass bottles and jars without caps.
* Mixed paper can be combined together and bundled with twine or placed in paper bags, not boxes. Magazines and soft-cover books are recyclable, including phone books. Do not place more than three phone books in a bundle. Hard cover books can be recycled if their covers are removed.
* Cardboard boxes for recycling need to be flattened and put into bundles not larger than three feet wide and three feet long by six inches thick. Twine should be used to bundle.
Please do not mix paper with bottles and cans in the bin. Use the bin for commingle and place paper recyclables in a bundle or bag next to it.
* Single-family residents can also have their grass clippings, leaves and brush picked up on recycling day year-round for composting. They should also be placed in the large, brown paper bags, not plastic bags, and the total weight should not exceed 45 pounds. Yard trim can also be placed in reusable containers such as trash cans marked with a free decal available at county libraries or by calling the office or visiting the Web site. If recyclables have not been picked up, or for other information regarding trash and recycling collection, call 240-777-6410. To leave a message, call 240-777-6411 or visit the Web site at www.mcrecycles.org.
* Plastic Bags: Giant and Safeway recycle plastic grocery bags. Drop off bins are located at the stores.
* Solid Waste: Residents can drop off materials such as auto batteries, tires, motor oil, large appliances and scrap metal (no vehicles), used clothing and textiles, computers and related electronics at the solid waste transfer station, 16101 Frederick Road at the intersection of Shady Grove Road and Route 355. Hours: Monday-Friday, 7:30 a.m.-8 p.m.; Saturday, 7:30 a.m.-5 p.m.; and Sunday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. No trucks on Sunday please. Call the Transfer Station at 301-840-2370, or visit www.mcrecycles.org.
* Hazardous Waste: Residents can drop off hazardous wastes such as paint thinners, mercury-containing items, chemicals, and pesticides at local collection sites only on specific days during the year. Visit the Web site at www.mcrecycles.org for a complete listing of acceptable and unacceptable materials, hours, and locations.