Dan Carriker didn't ignore his fellow camper last summer when he was in trouble. Instead, when Carriker saw one of the campers in the dining hall choking on a roast beef sandwich, he took action.
According to the National Capital Area Council Boy Scouts of America, "As a youth was eating his lunch in the dining hall at Camp Ross, Goshen Scout Reservation, he became choked on a roast beef sandwich. Webelos Scout Daniel E. Carriker, sitting next to the youth, saw him holding his throat and realized that he could not breathe. Daniel jumped off the bench, went behind the boy and performed the Heimlich Maneuver on him. After one compression a large piece of roast beef and bread flew out of the youth's mouth. The youth was then able to breathe normally."
Carriker learned first aid for choking at camp and had witnessed somebody else using the Heimlich Maneuver on a choking boy previously.
Linda Hill, district chairman of the Colonial District, BSA, presented Carriker with the award at the Pack's annual Blue & Gold Dinner, which was held at West Potomac High School last Friday.