Mulch Fire Damages Ruby Tuesday

Mulch Fire Damages Ruby Tuesday

<bt>On Wednesday, April 7, at 3:12 p.m., City of Fairfax Fire Department units responded to a structure fire at the Ruby Tuesday restaurant at 9444 Arlington Blvd.

Starting in some mulch at the front of the restaurant, the fire quickly spread into the structure's front wall, damaging the interior of the front wall and causing a moderate smoke condition inside the building. Patrons and staff were evacuated from the restaurant, which was open at the time.

According to a Fire Department release, no injuries were reported, and damage to the property was estimated at $30,000.

The first fire suppression unit on the scene was City of Fairfax Rescue Engine 433. On arrival, firefighters observed smoke coming from the side of the building near the front entrance. A hose line was laid to extinguish the fire, as the Truck 403 crew started to expose additional fire inside the front wall.

Firefighters brought the fire under control within a few minutes. They stayed on the scene two hours more, to expose and extinguish smoldering fires and search for further extension of the fire.

The Fire Department classified the incident as "accidental." An improperly disposed cigarette might have caused the fire.

The City of Fairfax Fire Department reminds residents that careless smoking is the leading cause of fire-related deaths in the United States. Smoking in bed while one is drowsy is particularly dangerous. Residents are advised to use caution when smoking and to dispose of smoking materials properly.