Woman Injured in Townhouse Blaze

Woman Injured in Townhouse Blaze

Two people jumped from a second floor window of a townhouse at 8413 Dampier Court in the Mount Vernon area Tuesday afternoon to escape flames that caused approximately $100,000 damage.

First arriving units from Station 11, Penn Daw, saw fire and smoke coming from the first floor windows, according to Daniel L. Schmidt, public information officer, Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department. The two-alarm fire originated in the kitchen of the corner two-story building and spread to the second floor.

"The woman was helped out the second floor window by her 18-year-old son who then followed her out of the building," Schmidt said. "He was not injured. She was transported to Inova Mount Vernon Hospital with non life-threatening injuries."

Hospital authorities would not disclose whether the victim had been treated and released or admitted, citing government regulations.

BROUGHT UNDER control in approximately 35 minutes, the cause of the fire was attributed by fire investigators to unattended food on the stove. The townhouse is owned by the Fairfax County Redevelopment and Housing Authority, according to records.

Three adults and a child were displaced by the fire. The Red Cross and Housing Authority officials are assisting the occupants, according to the fire department.