<sh>School Budget on Ice
<bt>A Public hearing on Schools Superintendent Daniel Domenech's $1.8 billion budget were canceled Monday, Jan. 26 because of the snow and ice storm.
Monday's public hearing has been rescheduled for next Monday, Feb. 2, at 7 p.m., 3020 Gallows Middle School, Falls Church.
Fairfax citizens who want to address the School Board at public hearings should call the School Board Office at 703-246-3646 to be included on the list of speakers.
E-mail may be sent to SchoolBoardMembers@fcps.edu and letters may be addressed to: School Board Members, 10700 Page Ave., Fairfax, VA 22030.
The complete proposed budget is available on the Web site at school system's Web site at www.fcps.edu
Upcoming Meetings on Budget
<cal2>* Monday, Feb. 2, public hearing (boundaries and budget), 7 p.m., Jackson MS
* Thursday, Feb. 5, School Board work session (finance and budget), 7 p.m., Jackson MS
* Monday, Feb. 9, School Board work session (human resources, policy preview, facilities, student services, strategic planning and evaluation), Burkholder Center, 8:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m.
* Thursday, Feb. 12, School Board Meeting, (FY 2005 Proposed Budget Adoption), 7:30 p.m., Jackson MS
* Tuesday, March 30, Budget presentation to the Board of Supervisors, Government Center, tentative
* March 29-31, Board of Supervisors public hearings, Government Center
* May 27, School Board scheduled to adopt FY 2005 approved budget, 7:30 p.m., Jackson MS
The School Board's complete calendar is available on its Web site at www.fcps.edu/schlbd/calendar.PDF
The School Board work sessions and public hearings will be broadcast live on Cox Cable channel 21.
<bt>Five students were expelled by the Fairfax County School Board on Jan. 22. Discussions concerning the students took place in a closed meeting prior to the regular meeting. The board did not provide information about what schools the students attended.
* Expelled a student for possession of a weapon, robbery and making threats at knifepoint.
* Expelled a student for possession and distribution of marijuana on school grounds.
* Expelled a student for involvement in multiple assaults on other students.
* Expelled a student for a mob assault on another student.
* Expelled a student for involvement in an assault on another student.
<bt>The board approved the FY 2005-2009 Capital Improvement Program last Thursday, Jan. 22. The CIP provides approximately $130 million each year for construction projects, including new schools, additions, building of modular classrooms and renovations. See www.fcps.edu, click on "Capital Improvement Program."
<sh>Upcoming, Feb. 12
<bt>The board is scheduled to act on the following items at its next meeting on Feb. 12:
* The recommendation by the Superintendent Search Selection Advisory Committee to hire a specific search firm to help find the replacement for Superintendent Daniel Domenech.
* The recommendation to award the contract for construction of modular classroom buildings at Crestwood Elementary (Springfield) and Beech Tree Elementary (Falls Church) to the "lowest responsive and responsible bidder." Funding will be provided from the 2003 School Bond Referendum.
* The recommendation to award the contract for construction of classroom modular buildings at McNair Elementary (Herndon) and Washington Mill Elementary (Alexandria). Funding will be provided from the 2003 School Bond Referendum.
* Awarding the contract for boiler replacement at Westgate Elementary School (Falls Church/Mt. Vernon), Rocky Run Middle School (Chantilly) and Langston Hughes Middle School (Reston) to the lowest responsive and responsible bidder. Funding will be provided from the 2001 Bond Referendum.
* Reauthorization of the modified — year-round — school calendar for Annandale Terrace (Annandale), Dogwood (Reston), Franconia (Alexandria), Glen Forest (Falls Church), Graham Road (Falls Church), Timber Lane (Falls Church) and Parklawn (Alexandria) elementary schools, Glasgow Middle School (Alexandria) and Falls Church and Stuart (Falls Church) High Schools.