In his 64 years as an electrician, Herb Busch went from rubber coated wires and fuse boxes to plastic coated wires and circuit breakers in home electrical systems.
"A fuse is better than a breaker," Busch said.
Busch summed it all up with a splash of humor in a how-to book for homeowners called "How To Catch an Electric Bill and Lose Weight."
"It goes over different things a homeowner should know," he said.
Some of the things Busch had for homeowners were also covered by the Electrical Alliance, an association of certified electricians, which focuses on safety in electronics. May was National Electrical Safety month for the alliance whose goal is to provide products and services to customers, setting the standard for efficiency and productivity within the electrical industry.
"This campaign was to raise awareness," said Dina Martinez, Electrical Alliance spokesperson.
The Electrical Alliance is a cooperative effort between skilled craftsman and electrical contractors to provide quality products and services to customers and to set the standard for efficiency and productivity within the electrical industry.
IN 1994, the Electrical Safety Foundation International was founded through a joint effort between the National Electrical Manufacturers Association, the Underwriters Laboratory and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. The group's mission was to promote electrical safety in the home, school and workplace through education about electrical hazards and preventive measures.
Andy Porter, executive director of the National Electrical Contractors Union, did several radio interviews in May promoting safety. Defective extension cords and plugs are frequently the cause of most fires.
"Those two are the hot spots," Porter said.
Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter outlets and circuits are a big recommendation from the group. The GFCIs improve conditions around plugs that might be subject to water as well, such as bathrooms or kitchens. "In new homes, they've been required to be installed," Porter said.
Around the house, Busch recommends that all home projects are inspected by certified inspectors. Even though it's not a rule, to be safe, Busch recommends a separate circuit for each large appliance too. "That's my rule," Busch said.
Porter recommended inspectors as well. "Electricity is more of everybody's life. A lot of people peg themselves as do-it-yourselfers," Porter said.
This year, the Electrical Alliance passed out child-proof plug covers as part of its National Electrical Safety month effort.