Chantilly Man Is Charged with Rape

Chantilly Man Is Charged with Rape

A 34-year-old Chantilly man is facing as much as life in prison after being arrested last week and charged with raping a 14-year-old Chantilly girl. He is Stacey O. Tibbs of 4131 Chantilly Lace Court in the Chantilly Mews community.

In a May 5 affidavit for a search warrant to obtain forensic evidence from his person, police Det. G.W. Barlow of the Criminal Investigations Bureau detailed the case against him. (Barlow is assigned to the Sex Crimes Unit).

He wrote that, on March 18, a 14-year-old girl reported to the police that she'd been sexually assaulted, and he met her at Inova Fairfax Hospital and interviewed her there. She underwent a Sexual Assault Nurse's Examination at the hospital, and evidence collected from her body — plus the clothes she was wearing — were submitted to the Virginia Division of Forensic Science for analysis.

The girl was familiar with Tibbs because she'd previously been employed as a babysitter for his children and had been a guest in his home, several times. According to the affidavit, she and some friends went to that house, March 18 around 7:30 p.m., and began talking with Tibbs.

"While in the home, the [girl] was offered marijuana by several of the occupants," wrote Barlow. "As the night progressed, [she] ingested marijuana and became impaired, to the degree that she did not want to return home."

As a result, wrote the detective, Tibbs reportedly gave her permission to spend the night there. However, he added, "At approximately 3:30 a.m. on March 19, [she] fell asleep on the floor and was awakened by someone lying on top of her. When [she] regained all of her faculties, she realized that the person lying on top of her was having vaginal sexual intercourse."

AT THE TIME of the alleged assault, wrote Barlow, the teen-ager did not know the identity of her alleged assailant. But as that person stood up and began to walk away, continued the detective, "[she reportedly] identified her assailant as Stacey Tibbs."

Although she and Tibbs are acquaintances, Barlow wrote that she "did not consent to sexual relations [with Tibbs] on the night of the event, nor has she ever consented to sexual relations with him." He also noted that, at the time of the alleged incident, Tibbs was the only male present in the home.

Following an investigation, police arrested Tibbs last Tuesday, May 4, charging him with rape. He was released from the Adult Detention Center, four days later, Saturday May 8, on $3,500 bond and has a June 25 court date. In his affidavit for a search warrant, Barlow requested permission to obtain swabs of Tibbs' cheek lining, and the warrant was executed on May 5.