Accused Rapist Doesn't Show Up In Court

Accused Rapist Doesn't Show Up In Court

A 34-year-old Chantilly man accused of raping a 14-year-old Chantilly girl is apparently on the lam. He was slated to appear last Friday morning, Oct. 1, in Fairfax County Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court, but did not show up.

As a result, another warrant has been issued for his arrest, this one charging him with failure to appear. But in the general scheme of legal matters, Stacey O. Tibbs has bigger fish to fry.

In May, police charged Tibbs, of 4131 Chantilly Lace Court in the Chantilly Mews community, with rape. And that's a crime that carries a possible penalty of as much as life in prison.

In a May 5 affidavit for a search warrant to obtain forensic evidence from his person, police Det. G.W. Barlow of the Sex Crimes Unit detailed the case against him. Barlow wrote that, on March 18, a 14-year-old girl told police that she'd been sexually assaulted, and she underwent a Sexual Assault Nurse's Examination at the hospital.

The girl was familiar with Tibbs because she'd babysat his children and, several times, had been a guest in his home. According to the affidavit, she and some friends were in his house, March 18, around 7:30 p.m.

"While in the home, the [girl] was offered marijuana by several of the occupants," wrote Barlow. "As the night progressed, [she] ingested marijuana and became impaired, to the degree that she did not want to return home." He wrote that she fell asleep on the floor, but awoke around 3:30 a.m. on March 19 to discover a man having sexual intercourse with her.

WROTE THE detective: "[She reportedly] identified her assailant as Stacey Tibbs." He further noted that she "did not consent to sexual relations [with Tibbs]" on that night or ever. Barlow added that, at the time of the alleged incident, Tibbs was the only male present in the home.

Following an investigation, police arrested Tibbs May 4, charging him with rape. He was released from the Adult Detention Center, four days later, on $3,500 bond. When he didn't come to court last Friday, the judge scheduled a bond-forfeiture hearing for Tibbs and also issued a bench warrant for his arrest.