BANK ROBBERY THWARTED
A man who claimed to have a gun attempted to rob M&T Bank at 10128 River Road in Potomac Village on Tuesday afternoon. Montgomery County Police received the call about the attempted robbery at 1:04 p.m.
"A gentleman went in and attempted to rob the place. An alarm was activated and he left," an officer at the scene said. He said that no shots were fired and no one was injured in the incident. The suspect is not in police custody.
An M+T Bank official declined to comment. Outside the bank, a printed sign on the door said that the branch was closed "due to an emergency."
A second robbery was reported a short time later at 1:23 p.m. at 10400 Old Georgetown Rd.
"We now believe it is the same person," said Public Information Officer Lucille Baur of the Montgomery County Police Department, who added that in preliminary information received from 911 callers, the suspect was described as a black male between the ages of 25 and 35.
"We are reviewing bank surveillance video so we can put out either a still photo or a video," Baur said.
— Ken Millstone
DEER HUNT SET FOR BLOCKHOUSE
The Montgomery County Department of Park and Planning will conduct managed deer hunts at Blockhouse Point Conservation Park on River Road on Nov. 16, Dec. 14 and Jan 4. The park will be closed to the public until 1 p.m. on the day of each hunt.
Extensive safety precautions have been taken, including the public postings, notification of area residents, and establishment of safety boundaries. Hunt participants are required to pass a state-administered shooting proficiency test.
Additional information about the Planning Commission's Deer Management Plan is available on the Planning Commission website at www.mc-mncppc.org/environment/deer, or by calling 301-949-4149
SEVEN LOCKS CIVIC TO MEET
The Seven Locks Civic Association will hold a community meeting on Monday, Sept. 20, at 7:30 p.m., at the Heights School, 10400 Seven Locks Road. Participants will discuss the proposed modifications to Montgomery Mall and be updated on plans for Seven Locks Elementary School.
Seven Locks Civic Association is open to all living and working in the neighborhoods along Seven Locks Road from Bradley Boulevard to Wootton Parkway. Contact Amy Gleklen at firstname.lastname@example.org or Jerry Garson at email@example.com with questions.
* Carderock Pool & Tennis Club, 8200 Hamilton Spring Court, Bethesda, between an unknown time on Aug. 31 and an unknown time on Sept. 1. Entered snack bar, U.S. currency taken.
* 14400 block of Traville Garden Circle, Rockville, between 9 a.m. on Aug. 1 and 8 a.m. on Aug. 11. Entered locked door, took radios, jewelry, currency and CDs/DVDs.
* 7500 block of Quincewood Court, on Sept. 1, between 6:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. Attempted entry through kitchen window and basement door.
* 11400 block of Potomac Oaks Drive, on Sept. 2, between 7:30 a.m. and 3 p.m. Entered through a locked door, took jewelry, laptop computer and silverware.
* 16500 block Baederwood Lane, at 12:44 p.m. on Aug. 24. Entered window, U.S. currency taken.
* 5700 block of Bent Branch Road in Bethesda, between 11:05 a.m. and 11:15 a.m. on Sept. 4. Entered sliding glass door; jewelry, silver flatware taken.
* 5300 block of Camberly Avenue in Bethesda, between noon on June 19 and 8 p.m. on Sept. 6. Broke through side window, leather box taken.