To have an item listed in the calendar, mail to Calendar Editor, 1604 King St., Alexandria, VA 22314; fax to 703-917-0991 or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline is Friday at noon for the following week’s paper. Photos and artwork encouraged. If you have any questions, call Elizabeth Orr at 703-917-6449.
Basin Street Lounge at 219 Restaurant, 219 King St., Alexandria. 703-549-1141.
Birchmere, 3701 Mount Vernon Ave., Alexandria. 703-549-7500. All shows in the music hall start at 7:30 p.m. unless otherwise posted. Tickets available at Ticketmaster outlets or phone charge at 703-573-7328. For more information, visit www.birchmere.com.
* Sept. 24: Doc Watson
* Sept. 25: WAR
* Sept. 26: Nick Lowe with Geraint Watkins
* Sept. 27: The Incredible String Band with The Espers
* Sept. 29: Donovan
Bistro Europa, 715 King St., Alexandria, 703-549-0533. Live entertainment Tuesday-Saturday. Karaoke Saturday night at 9 p.m.
* Wednesday, live jazz, 8:30 p.m.-midnight with Denise Johnson on drums.
* Thursday, jazz jam session and open mic poetry reading Joshua Carr, 8:30 p.m.-midnight.
* Friday, live jazz and entertainment, 8:30 p.m.-midnight.
* Saturday, jazz with Sound Mind, 7-10:30 p.m., main dining room.
Chadwick's, 203 S. Strand St., Alexandria. 703-836-4442. Acoustic music Tuesday and Wednesday nights.
Evening Star Café, 2000 Mount Vernon Ave., Alexandria, 703-549-5051. Live music every Thursday and wine and jazz every Wednesday in the No. 9 Upstairs Lounge. Free wine tastings in the Daily Planet Wine Shop, Friday, 5-7 p.m., and Saturday, 2-5 p.m.
Fast Eddie’s, 6220 Richmond Highway, Alexandria, 703-660-6966. Features 27 pool tables and live entertainment. Thursday-Saturday. www.fasteddies.com.
* Sept. 24: N-Dowed
* Sept. 25: Nightwork
Fish Market, 105 King St., Alexandria, 703-836-5677. Piano player Daryl Ott appears Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings.
Freddie’s Beach Bar and Restaurant, 555 S. 23rd St., 703-685-0555. Comedy show on Monday nights starting at 8 p.m. Karaoke on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights, starting at 9 p.m. Sunday champagne brunch 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Drag shows on Sunday nights, starting at 9 p.m.
Janet's Java, 5735 Telegraph Rd., Alexandria, 703-960-2900. www.janetsjava.com.
King Street Blues, 112 N. St. Asaph St., Alexandria, 703-836-8800.
* Sept. 23: Judge Smith
* Sept. 24: Robert Lighthouse
Laporta’s, 1600 Duke St., Alexandria, 703-683-6313. Laporta’s Restaurant offers live jazz every night Monday through Saturday with free parking and no cover or minimum.
* Thursdays: Satin Doll, '30s and '40s swing jazz, 7:30-10 p.m.
* Fridays/Saturdays: Sharon Clark Trio, 7:30-11:30 p.m.
* Sundays: Martini Red, 6-9 p.m.
* Mondays: David Brathwaite, piano, 6-9:30 p.m.
* Tuesdays: Jim Olsen, jazz piano, 6-9:30 p.m.
Las Tapas Restaurant, 710 King St., Alexandria, 703-836-4000. Authentic flamenco performances are accompanied by live Spanish guitar music on Tuesday and Thursday evenings at 8 and 9 p.m.
Laughing Lizard Lounge, 1324 King St., Alexandria, 703-836-7885.
Mango Mike’s, 4111 Duke St., Alexandria, 703-823-1166. Swing to the sounds of the Caribbean at the café with an island twist.
Morrison House, 116 S. Alfred St., Alexandria, 703-838-8000. Piano bar is featured Thursday-Saturday from 8:30 p.m. to closing.
Murphy’s Irish Pub, 713 King St., Alexandria, 703-548-1717. Old World Irish Pub offers Irish-style entertainment nightly. www.murphyspub.com.
* Sept. 22: Double Down
* Sept. 23- 25: Double Down, Kevin James
* Sept. 26 & 27: Kevin James
* Sept. 28 & 29: Double Down
Nick’s Restaurant, 642 S. Pickett St., Alexandria, 703-751-8900. Full-service restaurant and bar serving food and beverages.
Pat Troy’s, 111 N. Pitt St., Alexandria, 703-549-4535. Pat Troy’s Irish restaurant and pub offers a nightly entertainment schedule. www.pattroysirishpub.com.
* Sept. 22- 25: Pat Garvey
* Sept. 26: Patrick O'Flaherty
* Sept. 28 & 29: Don Cobert & Fergus Kennedy
Rock It Grill, 1319 King St., Alexandria, 703-739-2274. Karaoke seven days a week from 9:30 p.m.-closing.
Santa Fe East, 110 S. Pitt St., Alexandria, 703-548-6900. Pianist Joe Forry plays every Friday and Saturday evening from 9 p.m.-closing.
Southside 815, 815 S. Washington St., Alexandria, 703-836-6222.
* Tuesdays: Practically Einstein
* Wednesdays: Laurence McKenna of Shag
St. Elmo’s Coffee Pub, 2300 Mount Vernon Ave., Alexandria, 703-739-9268. Performances are from 8-10 p.m., unless otherwise specified; Sunday performances are from 3-5 p.m.
* Sept. 22: OKTBRWRLD Unplugged!
* Sept. 23: Not So Modern Jazz Band
* Sept. 24: Philip Kershner
* Sept. 25: Bob Dowson & Friends
* Sept. 29: Shawn Slattery
Taverna Cretekou, 818 King St., Alexandria, 703-548-8688. Wednesdays: singer Maria Isolina and her band, Sol y Rumba, 8 p.m.
Tiffany Tavern, 1116 King St., Alexandria, 703-836-8844. Open mic nights Monday-Thursday. Bluegrass band every Friday and Saturday, 9 p.m.-1 a.m.
Two Nineteen, 219 King St., Alexandria, 703-549-1141. Jazz musician John Cocuzzi plays Tuesday through Saturday.
* Sept. 25: Saxophonist and vocalist Dave Wright. 9 p.m.-1 a.m. Cover charge $5.
The Village Wharf, 7966 Fort Hunt Road, Alexandria. 703-765-0661.
* Sept. 24: Steve Keith
*Sept. 25: The Impossibles
Zig’s, 4531 Duke St., Alexandria, 703-823-2777. Bands until 2 a.m. Friday and Saturday, live entertainment nightly. Comedy at 8 and 10:30 p.m. every Saturday. Full menu until 2 a.m. seven days a week.
* Sept. 23: Joel Burleson, Rusket Band
* Sept. 24: The Dreamscapes Project with Marlon Spike