The Commonwealth's Attorney's Office has opted to not proceed in a felony case involving a Sterling man charged with malicious wounding in an alleged gang-related stabbing.
Assistant Commonwealth's Attorney Robert Vernail decided earlier this month to not proceed with the case against Freddy Portillo-Miranda. "I have the option to re-file if I'm so inclined," he said. "I don't think the case is ready to go forward at this point."
Vernail said another warrant has been issued for a man who also will be charged with malicious wounding. "I can't say how many we'll ultimately end up getting warrants for," he added. "There were lots of people there."
Portillo-Miranda, 31, was charged with three counts of malicious wounding after several alleged gang members attacked a 28-year-old Sterling man and his parents when they attempted to help him, authorities said. The son was fighting with a group of Hispanic males outside his house on Sherwood Court.
All three people were injured, including the 50-year-old father and the 57-year-old mother, authorities said. The father received several stab wounds.
"It would be my preference to wait for additional investigation before I go forward in this case," Vernail said.
Portillo-Miranda, wearing a long sleeved white shirt and Khaki pants, appeared in General District Court Thursday. Judge Dean S. Worcester gave the defendant the information.
Public Defender Lorie O'Donnell told Portillo-Miranda she would work to get his arrest warrant sponged from the record. "I'm sorry you had to go through this."
She told a reporter that Vernail did what he needed to do. "I only wish the arresting officers had done something before he had to sit in jail for two weeks for something he didn't do."