To have an item listed, mail to the Gazette-Packet, 1604 King St., Alexandria, VA 22314; fax to 703-917-0991 or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline is Friday at noon for the following week’s paper. Photos and artwork encouraged. If you have any questions, call Elizabeth Orr at 703-917-6449.
Fall Revival at Alfred Street Baptist Church, 301 S. Alfred St., Alexandria. Evenings, at 7:30 p.m., from Sept. 28-Oct. 1 Guest evangelist Dr. Forrest E. Harris Sr., president of the American Baptist College in Nashville. The theme is "One Thousand More in Two Thousand Four." For more information, call 703-683-2222.
Community Communion Worship Service. 4 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 3, at Alfred Street Baptist Church, 301 S. Alfred St., Alexandria. To mark World Communion Sunday. The community is invited. For more information, call 703-683-2222.
Immanuel Church-on-the-Hill, 3606 Seminary Road, will hold its 11th Annual Pumpkin Sale from Oct. 3-31, from 10 a.m.-8 p.m. daily. This fund-raiser will benefit the Outreach ministries supported by Immanuel Church, including Network Preschool, ALIVE, Carpenter's Shelter and many more. It also will benefit the Navajo Indians of Northern New Mexico, where the pumpkins are grown on irrigated tribal lands. Pumpkins are priced by size, ranging from $1-$15. Jewelry, gourds, mini-pumpkins and food also for sale. For more information, call Susan D. Dawson at 703-931-4349.
Celebrate Simchat Torah With Chabad. Thursday, Oct. 7. Hakafot and dancing with the Torah at 7:15 p.m. Children's program, Kiddush, L'chaim for the adults. At the home of Rabbi & Mrs. Newman, 4301 Seminary Road.
These are the upcoming events at St. Mark's Episcopal Church, 6744 South King's Highway. For more information, call 703-765-3949.
* Blessing of the Animals at the Feast of St. Francis, Sunday, Oct. 3, 8:45 a.m. and 11:15 a.m. Youth Car Wash.
* Holiday Shopping Spree. Ten vendors, lunch. Saturday, Oct. 16, 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
* "Be Our Guest Sunday, No Strings Attached." Sunday, Oct. 17, 8 and 10 a.m. For those seeking a church home or who are afraid of commitments.
* "Introduction to the Eucharist, The Lord's Supper," by Bill Ryon, Ecumenical Society of the Virgin Mary. Saturday, Oct. 23, 9:30 a.m.-noon.
* "Instructed Eucharist ... Mystery Revealed!" Sunday, Oct. 24, 10 a.m.
* Workshop on Healing with Bro. John Ogle, Order of St. Francis. Saturday, Oct. 30, 9:30 a.m.-noon, includes healing and anointing.
Blessing of the Animals. 10 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 2 at Trinity United Methodist Church, 2911 Cameron Mills Road, in honor of the Feast of St. Francis of Assisi Day. All animals will be individually blessed and personalized certificate presented. For more information, call Bonnie Smith at 703-543-5500
Agudas Achim Congregation, 29908 Valley Drive, Alexandria, has scheduled several events for October. The events include:
* Sing with Andrea! 11 a.m. Wednesdays, Sept. 29-Oct. 20. Songs for children aged newborn-3 years and their caretakers. Free; call office to register.
* Shehecheyanu Services. 6:30 p.m. Friday, Oct. 1. Service for the whole family, interpreted for the hearing-impaired.
* Shalom Yoga Class. 6:30 p.m. Mondays, Oct. 11-Dec. 13. A combination of classic yoga postures and Jewish wisdom and music. No experience necessary; contact Larissa Blechman at email@example.com for more information.
* Candidate's forum. 10 a.m. Sunday, Oct. 17. Sponsored by the Men's Club, featuring 8th District Congressional candidates Jim Moran and Lisa Marie Cheney. $5 fee includes brunch; call office to register.
* Artist in Residence Shabbat: "Jewish Rhythms from Baghdad to India" with Rahel Musleah. Events throughout Oct. 22 and 23. A seventh-generation member of a Calcutta Jewish family shares her experience using humor, story telling and song. For more information or to register for these events, call 703-998-6460 or visit www.agudasachim.net.
Washington Farm United Methodist Church's Child/Youth Advisory Council is presenting a four-session workshop, "Children at Risk: Could They be Ours?" each Sunday through Oct. 17, from 10:30 a.m.-noon, at the church, 3921 Old Mill Road, Alexandria. Child care will be provided. To register, call 703-360-9539.
Shabbat Services are held at the home of Rabbi and Mrs. Newman, 4301 Seminary Road, Alexandria, each Friday at 7:30 p.m. Shabbat Morning services begin Saturdays at 9:45 a.m. Services are followed by a sit-down Kiddush. For more information, call 703-370-2774.
Florence Melton Adult Mini School at Agudas Achim. Courses in the rhythms, purpose, ethics and dramas of Jewish Living for adults. Classes will be held at Agudas Achim Congregation, 2908 Valley Dr., Alexandria, Monday evenings from 7-9:30 p.m and Tuesday mornings from 9:30 a.m.-noon. Classes will begin the week of Oct. 11 and run for 30 weeks. For more information or to apply, contact NOVA Melton coordinator Carol Backman at 703-569-6507 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Alexandria's Christian Science Reading Room, 691 S. Washington Street, is open daily. Monday through Friday; 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Friday evening, 7 p.m.-9 p.m.; Saturday 10 a.m.-5 p.m.; and Sunday, 2-5 p.m.
The Christian Business Women’s Committee (CBWC) meets to study God's word each Wednesday morning at the Royal Restaurant in Old Town Alexandria. The CBWC meets Wednesday at 7 a.m. for breakfast. Additional information contact Pamela Nilsen at 703-519-4475 or 703-660-6759.
Noon Prayer Meeting. Christians from around the area unite in prayer for the country and community every Friday, 12-1 p.m., at Regent University, in room 303. For more information, call Rich Nilsen at 703-922-5183.
Meditation. Every weekday from 12-1 p.m., Roberts Memorial Methodist Church, 606 South Washington St., is open to the public for meditation. Organ music is played during this time.