<i>Send announcements to The Connection, 7913 Westpark Drive, McLean, VA 22102, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 703-917-0991. Deadline is two weeks before the event. Photos/artwork encouraged. Call Jean Card at 703-917-6437, with questions.
This free listing is reserved for activities and events that are open to the public at no or minimal cost.</i>
The ESL and Immigrant Ministries Program welcomes adult foreign nationals from all countries to English classes in Northern Virginia. Spring classes will be held at the following location. For information in English call 703-271-8341 box No. 3. For information in Spanish call 703-841-0292 box No. 2.
* Graham Road UMC at 2929 Graham Road, Falls Church. Registration: Saturday, April 9, at 10 a.m. Classes meet Saturday mornings through June 18.
Fishing Workshop/Clinic. Children, accompanied by their parents, will meet at Hunter's Creek Clubhouse and learn about casting, habitat, fish biology, fishing techniques, rigs, lures and bait. Register for the fishing. $10 for Town of Herndon residents and $15 for nonresidents. For children ages 8-12. Wednesday, April 27, and Friday, April 29, from 6-8 p.m. Volunteers needed for this new program.
Herndon residents 14–17 years of age interested in participating in Youth Police Academy will learn about law enforcement, our community and your role in community policing. The class is limited to 25 students. The Herndon Youth Police Academy will be held Wednesdays, April 6 to June 22, from 5-7 p.m. The fee for the academy is $10, scholarships are available. Contact SPO G. Warren Brathwaite at 703-435-3134.
Reston Community Center can help Reston residents achieve citizenship. On Thursday nights, from 7-9 p.m., through May 19, an RCC-sponsored citizenship preparation class will be held at Reston Interfaith. The class will cover American history and civics, and the Immigration and Naturalization (INS) interview and test preparation. Participants must be able to read, write and speak English. This course is targeted at persons age 16 and older. The course fee for people who live or work in Reston is $15, and $23 for all others. Register either in person or by faxing a completed RCC registration form to 703-476-8617.
For directions or to request a reasonable accommodation, contact the Reston Community Center at 703-476-4500
(V/TTY) or visit the Web site at www.restoncommunitycenter.com. Reston Interfaith is located at 11150 Sunset Hills Road, Suite 210, Reston.
The YMCA Fairfax County Reston announces the start of a new session of swim lessons for ages 6 months to adult. Lessons are divided by age group. Lesson time and days vary depending on level. Contact the YMCA for a complete schedule. YMCA Fairfax County Reston, 12196 Sunset Hills Road, Reston. Cost:
* Parent/Child & Preschool Swim Lessons
YMCA Member: $50; YMCA Program Member: $90.*
* School Age Swim Lessons
YMCA Member: $55; YMCA Program Member: $100*
* Youth Stroke Development & Adult Swim Lessons
YMCA Member: $60; YMCA Program Member: $110*
* A program membership is required to participate in YMCA activities for nonmembers. Annual Program Membership: $35/Child or $70/Family. Visit the YMCA or call 703-742-8800.
For information about Fairfax County Public School summer programs, visit http://www.fcps.edu/news/summer/special.htm#ifta
* Enrichment Courses and Foreign Language Experience Camps (FLEX). Non-credit enrichment courses are offered at selected sites for students in grades seven-12, and foreign language courses will be offered to students in grades kindergarten-sixth. The courses vary in length and focus on a wide variety of topics. Students may select academic and skill strengthening classes and courses that focus on personal interests, such as foreign language, computers or art. Transportation is not provided.
* Institute for the Arts will be held at McLean High School from July 11-Aug. 4, from 8 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Students in grades six-11 participate in programs in dance, music, theater arts and visual arts. Many courses require audition or portfolio review for proper placement of students. The Institute for the Arts booklet will be mailed to FCPS families, schools and public libraries. The booklet has been posted in a PDF format and contains relevant information and the application form. Registration will begin on Monday, March 14, and end on Friday, April 22.
* Tech Adventure Camp. Students enrolled in grades five-eight during the 2004-2005 school year are eligible for the Tech Adventure Camp program, which runs Monday, July 11-Friday, July 22, from 9 a.m.-2 p.m., at Chantilly High School and Edison High School. Registration begins Monday, May 16. Students may arrange for their own transportation or use FCPS bus transportation at no additional cost. To receive FCPS bus transportation, the student must attend their middle school pyramid assigned area. The assigned area locations will be published in Encore 2005, the summer school booklet. Tuition is $300 for county residents and $400 for nonresidents of Fairfax County. Lunch and snacks are not provided. During this camp, students will explore the world of careers and technology as they rotate through the units of artistic expression, technology transfer and life matrix. Consult Encore 2005, the summer school booklet, for additional details. For more information on Tech Adventure Camp, visit www.fcps.edu/DIS/OPTS/tac.htm or call 703-208-7789.
Free ESL classes are being offered at Dranesville United Methodist Church. Various levels of instruction are available for beginning to advanced students. Registration and classes Thursday mornings, from 9:30-11:30 a.m., until the semester ends May 19. New students are welcome at any time. Free child care provided during class time for children 2 years and older. Dranesville United Methodist Church, 1089 Liberty Meeting Court, Herndon. Call the church office at 703-430-3137 during the day, or Sharon Harroun at 703-860-9417 in the evenings.
Wee Play is a weekly activity class for parents and their 2- or 3-year-olds held in the Classical Ballet Academy in the Reston/Herndon Industrial Park. Each theme-based one hour class includes five activities: table time with bean containers, play dough, magnets, pegs and mallets; circle time with familiar songs, puppets, props, flannel board stories, and finger plays; arts and crafts; activity time with the parachute, tunnels, balance beam, ball skills, paddles and balloons, soccer, hockey, bean bags, hoops, games and more; and a snack and stickers. Classes are Wednesday, Thursday, Friday at 9:30 and 10:45 am. Ten-class session $125. Spring session begins March 2. Kathy Brennan 703-403-8699.
Greater Reston Arts Center (GRACE) is holding a spring series of children’s workshops at the Greater Reston Arts Center Gallery, 11911 Freedom Drive, Suite 110, Reston, 3:30-5 p.m., Mondays March 14 or 28, and April 11 or 25. This series is for children in grades kindergarten-sixth grade, and includes January: Wire Webs; February: We Love Watercolors!; March: Clay Imprints; and April: Tissue Paper Collage. Fees for the workshops are $11 for GRACE members, with a discount is available for members who sign up for the entire series, and $16 for nonmembers. To register call 703-471-9242. Visit our Web site at www.restonarts.org/education.htm.
Registration is now open for the spring 2005 series of Children’s Workshops at the Greater Reston Arts Center. These workshops give children an opportunity to learn more about art techniques in a relaxed and fun atmosphere. 3:30-5 p.m., Mondays, Feb. 14 or 28, March 28, and April 25. This series is for children in grades K-6. The workshops are:
March – "Clay Imprints"
April – "Tissue Paper Collage"
Visit the Web site at www.restonarts.org/education.htm. $11 for GRACE members and $16 for nonmembers. Preregistration is recommended since space is limited and participation is on a first-come first-served basis. Call 703-471-9242.
Dragonfly and Mayflowers are continuing the Second Friday Studio Series each month from 6–9 p.m. Gallery talks are at 7 p.m. April 8: Bulb Mania From Holland – see and hear from the growers; May 13: Living Outdoors – create a whole new room. Call Dragonfly at 703-467-8675 or Mayflowers at 703-318-8078.
Angela’s Happy Stamper offers free Learn at Lunch programs every Tuesday, from 12–2 p.m., free make and take opportunities and many new classes. Currently, Happy Stamper customers are creating and donating all kinds of stationery for the charity, Support Our Troops. In Iraq, stationery is in short supply for those wishing to send mail home. Call 703-435-0051 or visit www.ahappystamper.com.
Practice Your English, for beginning- and intermediate-level conversation groups for adults learning English. Reston Regional Library, 11925 Bowman Towne Drive throughout February. Call 703-689-2700.
Individual Internet training for adults at Reston Regional Library, 11925 Bowman Towne Drive, throughout February. One-hour sessions with a technology volunteers. Call 703-689-2700.
Vajrayogini Buddhist Center offers classes in Buddhist meditation, which is open to the public. The classes are Tuesdays of each month, 7-8: 30 p.m., in the "cry" room next to the chapel at St. Anne's Episcopal Church, 1700 Wainright Drive, Reston. Visit the Web site www.meditation-dc.org or call 202-331-2122.
Gentle Hatha Yoga. Group sessions for beginners and those who would prefer to remain at a gentle level are offered Saturdays, 12-1:30 p.m., at Brown's Chapel, 11300 Baron Cameron Ave, Reston. Suggested donation is $50 for five classes; $12 for drop in. Weekday, daytime and evening classes are available in private studio in Reston. Call 703-787-0268.
The Fairfax County offices of Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage (CBRB) offer free weekly career seminars for those interested in learning more about a career in real estate. Information about the residential real estate profession and the opportunities available are among the topics to be discussed. The seminar is appropriate for those interested in starting a new career as well as for experienced sales associates looking to work with the "Company of Choice in the Mid-Atlantic region." To register, call Mark Pergerson at 703-476-8440.
Sahaja Yoga free meditation class, each Tuesday, to reduce stress and improve health. 7:15-8:15 p.m., at the Reston Library, 11925 Bowman Towne Drive, Reston. Contact Navneet Agarwal, 703-793-6556.
Reston Community Center offers English as a Second Language (ESL) courses for adults with beginning to intermediate levels of proficiency in English. The courses will cover basic grammar, conversation, pronunciation and writing. Classes are targeted to people age 16 and older. Students are required to take a free assessment test before they can attend a class. The fee is $20 for Reston residents and $60 for all others. Call 703-476-4500.
Reston resident Carol Berman will help students learn pastel drawing and improve drawing skills on Thursday mornings, from 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m., at her Reston studio. Cost is $15 per session. Call 703-437-9068.
SOAR, or "Scouts Obtain Achievements and Recognition," teams Scouts with Reston Community Center Youth Department staff members, who assist the youth in
earning merit badges and completing projects in the areas where they have resources and special expertise such as photo developing, cooking and crafts. Scouts can register for one-day, hands-on workshops on Mondays
and Tuesdays from 4-6 p.m. or 6-8 p.m. Call Julie Windsor, youth director, at 703-390-6163 to schedule a workshop. The cost of the workshops is $6 for Reston residents and $9 for all others.
Candlelight beginner yoga classes at Brown's Chapel include gentle stretching, breathing and deep relaxation/guided meditation. Mondays 7:30-9 p.m., Thursdays 7-8:30 p.m. Call 703-476-2827.
Crossroads School of the Arts, located in Herndon, offers classes in dance, drama and art for preschoolers through teens, as well as workshops for adults. Call 703-404-2977 or visit www.crossroadsarts.info.