Accused Rapist Is Nabbed by Police

Accused Rapist Is Nabbed by Police

On May 4, 2004, Fairfax County police charged a 34-year-old Chantilly man with raping a 14-year-old Chantilly girl. But after being released from jail on bond, he never showed up for his court date.

AS A RESULT, a Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court judge issued a warrant for his arrest, charging him with failure to appear. But Stacey O. Tibbs was nowhere to be found — until now. He's just been re-arrested and is back behind bars until his day in court.

At the time of his arrest, he lived at 4131 Chantilly Lace Court in the Chantilly Mews community. And in a May 5, 2004 affidavit for a search warrant to obtain forensic evidence from Tibbs' person, police Det. G.W. Barlow of the Sex Crimes Unit detailed the case against him.

Barlow wrote that, on March 18, 2004, a 14-year-old girl told police that she'd been sexually assaulted, and she underwent a Sexual Assault Nurse's Examination at the hospital.

The girl was familiar with Tibbs because she'd baby-sat his children and, several times, had been a guest in his home. According to the affidavit, she and some friends were in his house, March 18, around 7:30 p.m.

"While in the home, the [girl] was offered marijuana by several of the occupants," wrote Barlow. "As the night progressed, [she] ingested marijuana and became impaired, to the degree that she did not want to return home." He wrote that she fell asleep on the floor, but awoke around 3:30 a.m. on March 19 to discover a man having sexual intercourse with her.

WROTE THE detective: "[She reportedly] identified her assailant as Stacey Tibbs." He further noted that she "did not consent to sexual relations [with Tibbs]" on that night or ever. Barlow added that, at the time of the alleged incident, Tibbs was the only male present in the home.

Following an investigation, police arrested Tibbs May 4, charging him with rape — a crime punishable by a possible maximum of life in prison. He was then released from the Adult Detention Center, four days later, on $3,500 bond.

He was supposed to appear Oct. 1, 2004 in Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court. When he didn't do so, the judge scheduled a bond-forfeiture hearing for Tibbs and also issued a bench warrant for his arrest.

Nearly 10 months has passed since then but, finally, police re-arrested Tibbs on July 25. He now has an Aug. 26 court date — but this time, he's being held in jail without bond.