Know something that should be featured in Faith Notes? Send a brief write-up and photos to 7913 Westpark Drive, McLean, VA 22102, fax to 703-917-0991 or call Jon Whiten at 703-917-6422.
The Jewish Community Center of Northern Virginia presents a Singles Schmooze and Shabbat, Friday, Dec. 9, at 7:30 p.m., at Congregation Beth Emeth, 12523 Lawyers Road, Herndon. Visit www.jccnv.org or www.bethmeth.org, or call 703-724-0593.
New Hope Housing seeks a neighborhood church that can house 12 students from Denison University from Jan. 8-13. The students will be working with New Hope while on break. Contact Chris Bramante at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fairfax Christian Church, located at 10185 Main St. in Fairfax, presents the following Christmas services. Call 703-385-3520 or visit www.fairfaxchristian.org.
* Experiential Advent Study on Mary's Magnificat, Dec. 11 and 18, from 9:30-10:20 a.m.
* A Festival Service of Scripture and Carols, Sunday, Dec. 18, at 10:30 a.m.
* Christmas Eve Candlelight Service, Saturday, Dec. 23, at 7:30 p.m.
* Christmas Day Service, Sunday, Dec. 25, at 10:30 a.m.
First Baptist Church of Springfield, located at 7300 Gary St. in Springfield, presents the following events/services. Visit www.fbcspringfield.or or call 703-451-1500.
* "The Voices of Christmas: A Cantata for Christmas," Sunday, Dec. 11, at 10:30 a.m.
* A youth-led service of music and devotions, Sunday, Dec. 11, at 7 p.m.
* The Children's Choirs' Christmas Concert, Wednesday, Dec. 14, at 6:45 p.m.
* Joint Worship Service with Spanish and Korean fellowships, Sunday, Dec. 18, at 10:30 a.m.
* "Bethlehem's Child: A Musical for Christmas," Sunday, Dec. 18, at 7 p.m.
* Christmas Eve Services, Saturday, Dec. 24, at 6 p.m. and 8 p.m.
* Christmas Day Services, Sunday, Dec. 25, at 10:30 a.m.
Sydenstricker United Methodist Church, located at 8508 Hooes Road in Springfield, presents the following events in preparation for Christmas. Visit www.sumcdisciples.org or call 703-451-8223.
* The Twelve Days of Christmas, performed by the Children's Choir, Sunday, Dec. 11, at 6:30 p.m.
* The Nativity According to St. Luke, performed by the Chancel Choir, Sunday, Dec. 18, at 8:30 and 11 a.m. Features the Chancel Choir, members of the drama ministries, and soloists from the choir and George Mason University.
* Living Nativity, Sunday, Dec. 18, from 7-9 p.m.
* Christmas Eve services, Saturday, December 24: a children’s service, 5 p.m.; a Love Feast, 8 p.m.; and a candlelight service, 11 p.m.
* Christmas Morning service, Sunday, Dec. 25, at 10 a.m.
The Messiah United Methodist Church sponsors the following events/services. The church is located at 6215 Rolling Road, Springfield. For more, call 703-569-9862.
* Sunday Services. Traditional Sunday morning worship services: 8:15 a.m., with Holy Communion every Sunday; 9:30 a.m. and 11 a.m., Holy Communion on the first Sunday; and Heartline, a contemporary praise and worship service, Sunday evenings at 7:15 p.m.
* Prayer at Messiah. Messiah offers the following prayer ministries: Sunday Morning Prayers, 7:15 a.m. in the Chapel; Tuesday Evening Prayer, 7:30 p.m. in the Chapel and Wednesday Prayer Group, 6 a.m. in the Chapel.
* Singles Sunday School, each Sunday, at 10:45 a.m., in Room 266.
* GriefShare, through Feb. 16, from 7-9 p.m. This group focuses on Christ-centered healing through small group interaction. For information or to register for the sessions please call Irene Rich at 703-569-9862, Ext. 212.
Truro Church MOPS would like to invite all mothers of preschool aged children to join MOPS for relevant speakers, small group time with other moms and food. The group meets the second Thursday of every month, and the next meeting will be Dec. 8, at 7 p.m., at Truro Church, located at 10520 Main St., Fairfax, in the church fellowship hall on the lower level. For more, call Amanda Qreitem at 703-222-2332 or e-mail email@example.com.
"Born A Savior, Born A King: Fulfilling the Prophesy," a free gospel Christmas cantata, is Saturday, Dec. 10, at 6:30 p.m., at Greater Little Zion Baptist Church, 10185 Zion Drive, Fairfax. Call 703-764-9111.
Springfield Super Saturday presents "God Gives Good Gifts" on Saturday, Dec. 10, from 9:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m., at Springfield Church of Christ, 7512 Old Keene Mill Road, Springfield. The event is for ages 4-12. Call 703-451-4011 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jubilee Christian Center, located at 4650 Shirley Gate Road in Fairfax, presents two Christmas musicals on Dec. 11, at the 8:45 a.m. and 11 a.m. services. Both "The Tale of Three Trees," the children's musical, and "The Christmas Story," the adult musical, will be performed at both services. There will be a free brunch between the services. Call 703-383-1170.
Parkwood Baptist Church, located at 8726 Braddock Road in Annandale, presents its Bethlehem Walk, a free interactive program replicating a Bethlehem street on the night Jesus was born, Dec. 10 and Dec. 11, from 5-8 p.m. Visit www.parkwood.org.
Lord of Life Lutheran Church, located at 5114 Twinbrook Road in Fairfax, presents the following events. Call 703-323-9500 or visit www.lordoflifelutheran.com.
* Midweek Advent Worship, Dec. 14, from 6:30-8:15 p.m., including dinner and worship. Call for reservations.
* The Living Creche Christmas Pageant and Candelight Worships, Saturday, Dec. 24, from 5-11 p.m.
* Christmas Day Worship, Sunday, Dec. 25, at 11 a.m.
A Pre-Chanukah Extravaganza, featuring the band Schlock Rock, is Saturday, Dec. 17, at 7 p.m., at the Student Union #2 Building at George Mason University, 4400 University Drive, Fairfax. The event features music, food and drinks. Tickets are $15 per adult ($18 at the door), $10 per child ($12 at the door) and can be purchased by calling 703-426-1980.
A live nativity will be performed at Harvest Church, 7401 Beulah St. in Alexandria, on Friday, Dec. 16 and Saturday, Dec. 17, each night at 7, 7:30, and 8 p.m. Free hot chocolate and refreshments will be served. Call 703-971-7070 or visit www.harvestchurchag.org.
St. Barnabas’ Episcopal Church, located at 4801 Ravensworth Road in Annandale, presents Christmas Eve Services, Dec. 24, at 5 p.m. and 10:30 p.m.; and a Christmas Day Service, Dec. 25, at 11 a.m. Visit www.st-barnabaschurch.org or call 703-941-2922.
Lord of Life Lutheran Church, located at 6001 Union Mill Road in Clifton, presents Communion Candlelight Worship, Saturday, Dec. 24, at 5 p.m. Call 703-323-9500 or visit www.lordoflifelutheran.com.
Harvest Church, located at 7401 Beulah St. in Alexandria, presents a one-hour Christmas service, Sunday, Dec. 25, at 10:30 a.m. Call 703-971-7070 or visit www.harvestchurchag.org.
Faith Communities In Action meets the first Wednesday of every other month, from 2-4 p.m., at the Fairfax County Government Center, Conference Rooms 2 and 3, 12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax. The next meeting is Jan. 11, and will focus on Medicare Part D, with featured speaker Howard Houghton, Fairfax County Coordinator of Virginia Insurance Counseling and Assistance. RSVP to email@example.com or 703-324-3453.
The Shalem Institute is offering free monthly prayer opportunities in Fairfax. The time together will be devoted to relaxation, the presentation of different prayer practices, silence, journal keeping and small group sharing. No experience is required, and participants may attend regularly or drop in. Donations are accepted. Meetings take place the third Monday of the month, 7:30-9 p.m., at the Providence Presbyterian Church, 9019 Little River Turnpike, Fairfax. Ann Kulp, Kathy Spaar and Tad Wicker lead the meetings. To register for these events or for more information, visit www.shalem.org or call 301-897-7334.
Sydenstricker United Methodist Church, located at 8508 Hoes Road in Springfield, presents GriefShare each Thursday at 7 p.m. in the Agape House. It is a seminar and support group for people grieving the loss of someone close. Call Kathy at 703-451-9021.
The following is a list of various events taking place at Mount Calvary Baptist Church, 4325 Chain Bridge Road, Fairfax: Bible study and Prayer Service every Tuesday night starting at 7 p.m. Sunday School at 9:30–10:45 a.m., except for the fourth Sunday of the month, when Sunday School is offered 9-10 a.m. Sunday morning service at 11 a.m. Commonwealth Care Center ministry every first and third Thursday night. Call 703-273-1455.
Fairfax Christian Church, located at 10185 Main St. in Fairfax, presents a class that explores traditional Christian spiritual practices of meditation and healing, on Sundays from 5:30-7 p.m. To register, call 703-385-3520 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Body and Soul aerobics and strength training classes meet every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, from 9-10:30 a.m., at Burke Community Church, 9990 Old Keene Mill Road. Body and Soul is a complete cardiovascular and strength workout to contemporary Christian music. For more information contact Suzann Albanese at 703-372-2332.
Ecumenical Community Helping Others (ECHO) is selling the 2006 Entertainment coupon books. The books are $25. Of that amount, $7.25 goes directly to ECHO. Books are available now and may be used immediately and through Nov. 1, 2006. Coupon books can be picked up at ECHO at 7205 Old Keene Mill Road, Springfield. Call 703-569-9160 or 703-451-7955.
Clifton Presbyterian Church, located at 12748 Richards Lane in Clifton, offers Sunday worship services at 8:30 a.m. and 11 a.m. Call 703-830-3175.
St. Andrew the Apostle Catholic Church, located at 6720 Union Mill Road in Clifton, conducts Sunday masses at 7:30 a.m., 8:45 a.m., 10:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. It also offers a Saturday vigil at 5:30 p.m., and a Wednesday Latin mass at 7 p.m. Call 703-817-1770 or visit www.st-andrew.org.
Prince of Peace Lutheran Church, 8304 Old Keene Mill Road, Springfield, offers casual worship services on Saturday evenings at 5:30 p.m. featuring contemporary music.
More traditional services take place on Sunday mornings at 8:15 and 11 a.m. Sunday School is at 9:45-10:45 a.m. for your children. The church also offers discussion groups for adults. Call 703-451-5855.
The Jubilee Christian Center hosts a free English class at 9:30 a.m., for speakers of other languages as a special Sunday School Class, at the center, 4650 Shirley Gate Road, Fairfax. For more, call 703-383-1170.
Kirkwood Presbyterian Church, located at 8336 Carrleigh Parkway in Springfield, supports a Mothers of Preschoolers (MOPS) program on the first Wednesday of each month. Meetings are 9:30-11 a.m., at the church. All mothers and children are welcome. The program provides mothers an opportunity to get to know other mothers through discussions and craft activities. The children will be cared for by adults in the MOPPET program. Cost is $3 per session. Register by stopping by the church, calling 703-451-5320.
Church of the Nativity offers a free general bereavement support group open to all adults on the first and third Thursday of each month at 7:30 p.m. The church is located at 6400 Nativity Lane, Burke. For more information, call 703-455-2400, ext. 17.
The Spiritual Parenting support group meets the first Sunday of every month, 12-1 p.m., at Washington Irving Middle School in Springfield. For more information, visit www.NewWorldUnity.org or call 703-690-7925. Child care is available on request.
Burke Community Church offers a weekly group for men called Men’s Fraternity to help discover authentic manhood as directed through the Word of God. Tuesdays, 6 a.m., at 9900 Old Keene Mill Road, Springfield.
Divorce Care is a weekly Bible Study care group that helps those who are transitioning through a divorce. The group meets every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m., in the church parlor at First Baptist Church of Springfield, 7300 Gary St., Springfield. Child care and children's activities are provided. 703-451-1500.