0
Votes

News Roundup

<sh>Two Charged with DUI

<bt>Fairfax County police officers from the Fair Oaks District Station conducted a sobriety checkpoint from Friday, Jan. 7, at 11 p.m. to Saturday, Jan. 8, at 1 a.m. at West Ox Road at Piney Branch Road. All motorists were stopped, and drivers were checked to assure their abilities to drive had not been impaired by alcohol or drugs. Approximately 497 cars passed through the checkpoint, and police charged two drivers with driving while intoxicated.

<sh>WFCCA Land-Use Meeting

<bt>Restaurants and a bank are on the upcoming agenda of the West Fairfax County Citizens Association (WFCCA) Land-Use Committee. The group will meet Tuesday, Jan. 18, at 7 p.m. in the Sully District Governmental Center, 4900 Stonecroft Blvd. in Chantilly.

* Commerce Bank wants to build a new, drive-through branch on 4.8 acres in the Marketplace at Centre Ridge Shopping Center. The bank would be at the corner of Centrewood Drive and Machen Road, but access would not be allowed off of Centrewood.

* An Applebee's restaurant is proposed for construction on the parcel next to the Texas Roadhouse restaurant off Westfields Boulevard in Centreville. A change in site plan is proposed, and the WFCCA will review the architectural elevations.

* A small retail business/restaurant is proposed for the site immediately south of the above parcel (Applebee's). WFCCA will review changes to the site plan.

<sh>Citizens' Advisory Committee Mtg.

<bt>The Sully District Citizens' Advisory Committee (CAC) will meet Tuesday, Jan. 18, at 7:30 p.m. at the Sully District Governmental Center, 4900 Stonecroft Blvd. in Chantilly. Anyone who lives or works in the Sully District is encouraged to attend the meeting.

<sh>Centreville Community Coalition

<bt>The next meeting of the Centreville Community Coalition will be Friday, Jan. 21, at 10 a.m. at Centreville Elementary. Call Debbie Martin at 703-802-9454.

<sh>Happy Faces Daycare Approval

<bt>The Fairfax County Board of Supervisors on Monday approved the special-exception permit that Happy Faces Daycare Center needs so it may expand its facility. It currently operates out of an all-wood building built in Centreville's Historic District in 1875.

Husband and wife co-owners, Rosen and Nayana Betchar, requested the permit so they may provide more room for the children without limiting the number of children per family.

The expansion will double the size of the building and enable Happy Faces to have a maximum enrollment of 94 children, although no more than 80 would be there at any one time. About 80 percent of the families bring their children full-time, while the other 20 percent are there part-time.

<sh>Child Safety-Seat Inspections

<bt>Certified technicians at the Sully District Police Station will do free inspections of child safety seats Thursday, Jan. 27, from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Appointments are not necessary; just come to the station at 4900 Stonecroft Blvd. in Chantilly. For additional child-seat inspection times, call 703-280-0559.

<sh>Cuccinelli Seeks Citizen Input

<bt>Sen. Ken Cuccinelli (R-37th) is conducting an online survey for residents — especially those living in the 37th District — Centreville, Chantilly, Fairfax, parts of Clifton and Fairfax Station, Burke and Springfield.

To get a better idea of how his constituents feels about particular issues, participants will be asked to respond to questions about certain issues, such as transportation, schools, etc. In addition, they'll also be able to provide their own, independent feedback on whatever else is important to them. To participate, go to www.cuccinelli.org, and there'll be a link to the survey.

<sh>Blood Donations are Sought

<bt>The Inova Blood Donor Center in the Centremed I Building on Route 29 in Centreville (across from the Centreville Multiplex Cinemas) is in urgent need of blood donations — especially O positive or negative, as well as A and B. They're accepted Tuesday-Friday, noon-8 p.m., and Saturday, 8 a.m.-2 p.m. For an appointment to give blood, call 703-322-1970, or drop in at your own convenience.