<lst>Know something that should be featured in Faith Notes? Send a brief write-up and photos to 7913 Westpark Drive, McLean, VA 22102, fax to 703-917-0991 or call Jon Whiten at 703-917-6422.
Kirkwood Presbyterian Church sponsors Wednesday Family Nights from 6:30-8:45 p.m. For more, call 703-451-5320. Kirkwood is located at 8336 Carrleigh Parkway, Springfield.
The Messiah United Methodist Church sponsors the following events/services. The church is located at 6215 Rolling Road, Springfield. For more information, call 703-569-9862.
* Vacation Bible School Registration and Noah's Ark Camp Registration. Forms are available in the Fellowship Hall and the church office. Vacation Bible School takes place July 25-29, from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. Open to ages 4 years through rising sixth graders. Contact Robin Ringler at 703-569-9862, ext. 210, or email@example.com for more information.
* Sunday Services. Traditional Sunday morning worship services: 8:15 a.m. (with Holy Communion every Sunday), 9:30 a.m. and 11 a.m. (Holy Communion on the first Sunday)
* Contemporary Ethical Issues Class. Tuesdays, from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. Next class is July 12. The discussion-based class will center on current events and issues, Christian values and ethical standards. For more, contact Robin Ringler at 703-569-9862, ext. 210, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Congregation Adat Reyim hosts Young Family Erev on Friday, July 8, at 7 p.m., at 6500 Westbury Oaks Drive, Springfield. Visitors and prospective members welcomed. Free childcare provided. For more, call 703-569-7577 or visit www.adatreyim.org.
McLean Bible Church presents author and pastor Lon Solomon, guest speaker on Friday, July 8, at 7:30 p.m. Author of "Brokenness," Solomon speaks about how God redeems our pain and suffering. Event is free, but seats are limited. For more, visit mcleanbiblechurch.org.
The Ekoji Buddhist Temple hosts its 24th annual Obon Festival on Saturday, July 9, from 5:30-9 p.m., at the temple, 6500 Lake Haven Lane, Fairfax Station. Obon is a Buddhist observance that honors one's ancestors. Festival includes music, Bon-odori dancing, games and crafts, a silent auction and traditional Japanese dishes. For more, visit www.ekoji.org.
Harvest Church hosts the vacation Bible school, "Serengeti Trek ... where kids are wild about God," from July 11 to July 15, at the church, 7401 Beulah St. Open to rising first to rising sixth graders, this is a hands-on vacation Bible school program. Register early by calling 703-971-7070. For more, visit www.harvestchurchag.org.
On Sunday, June 12, the Church Education System for the Church of Jesus Chirst of Latter-day Saints conducted a graduation ceremony for seminary students in the Annandale, Burke, Fairfax, Rolling Valley, Springfield, and Wakefield areas of the Church. About 120 students were recognized during the ceremony.
St. Matthew’s United Methodist Church, located at 8617 Little River Turnpike, host the following events and programs. For more, visit www.stmatthewsumc.org or call 703-978-3500.
* Vacation Bible School from Monday, July 18 to Friday, July 22. Open to ages 3 years through fifth grade, the program is centered on Christian worship, stories, music, crafts and games. Free.
The Springfield United Methodist Church sponsors the following events. For more information, e-mail email@example.com.
* Vacation Bible School. "Serengeti Safari-Where Kids Are Wild About God!" takes place from Sunday, July 24, to Thursday, July 28, at 6 p.m. An optional kid-friendly dinner will be offered each evening at 5:30 p.m. Registration fee is $10 per child (no more than $25 per family). Registration forms are available at www.springfieldvaumc.org or you may contact the church office at 703-451-2375.
* Blood Drive. The church hosts its blood drive on Monday, Aug. 1, from 3-8 p.m.
Vacation Bible School, “Jungle Adventure, Discovering God’s Love” takes place the week of July 25-29, from 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., at The Fellowship Baptist Church of Springfield. The program is open to children ages 3 years through sixth grader. The event is free, but registration is requested. For more, call 703-569-5151.
Lord of Life Lutheran Church, located at 5114 Twinbrook Road, Fairfax, sponsors the following events:
* Mission Possible, a new service camp for fifth and sixth graders, from Aug. 1-5, from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., at the church. The purpose is to create a memorable experience for the children that prepares them to serve others in the community. Children work on service projects in support of Habitat for Humanity of Northern Virginia and the Fairfax Nursing Center, among others. To register, visit www.lordoflifelutheran.com or contact the director of Christian education at 703-323-9500, ext. 16 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
* July for Summer Nights, every Wednesday, from 6-7:30 p.m. Event includes supper in the park, outdoor worship and a different program each week. Cost is a free-will donation for supper. Events are: Music Festival on July 6; Mad Science on July 13; Family Movie Night on July 20; and Reptiles Alive on July 27.
* Beth Moore Bible study series "Living Beyond Yourself: Exploring the Fruit of the Spirit" on Thursdays at 7:30 p.m. and Sundays 9:30 a.m. Cost is $15 for workbook. Open to women.
The second annual Adat Reyim Craft and Fun Fair takes place Sunday, Sept. 18, at the Springfield synagogue, 6500 Westbury Oaks Court, Springfield. Non-Judaic crafts accepted. Vendor tables available for advance fee of $25, all tables indoors. For more, call 703-569-7577.
The Jubilee Christian Center hosts a free English class at 9:30 a.m., for speakers of other languages as a special Sunday School Class, at the center, 4650 Shirley Gate Road, Fairfax. For more, call 703-383-1170.
Kirkwood Presbyterian Church, located at 8336 Carrleigh Parkway in Springfield, supports a Mothers of Preschoolers (MOPS) program on the first Wednesday of each month. Meetings are 9:30-11 a.m., at the church. All mothers and children are welcome. The program provides mothers an opportunity to get to know other mothers through discussions and craft activities. The children will be cared for my adults in the MOPPET program. Cost is $3 per session. Register by stopping by the church, calling 703-451-5320.
Church of the Nativity offers a free general bereavement support group open to all adults on the first and third Thursday of each month at 7:30 p.m. The church is located at 6400 Nativity Lane, Burke. For more information, call 703-455-2400, ext. 17.
The Spiritual Parenting support group meets the first Sunday of every month, 12-1 p.m., at Washington Irving Middle School in Springfield. For more information, visit www.NewWorldUnity.org or call 703-690-7925. Child care is available on request.
Burke Community Church offers a weekly group for men called Men’s Fraternity to help discover authentic manhood as directed through the Word of God. Tuesdays, 6 a.m., at 9900 Old Keene Mill Road, Springfield.
Divorce Care is a weekly Bible Study care group that helps those who are transitioning through a divorce. The group meets every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m., in the church parlor at First Baptist Church of Springfield, 7300 Gary St., Springfield. Child care and children's activities are provided. 703-451-1500.
Burke Presbyterian Church, located at 5690 Oak Leather Drive, Burke, offers the following programs and services.
* Coffeehouse Worship Service on Saturdays at 5:30 p.m., for those people who may be unavailable Sunday mornings or are seeking a break from a more traditional style of worship. The service offers the same lesson and sermon as the Sunday service, but in a less formal environment. A nursery is provided for young children. Burke Presbyterian Church is located at 5690 Oak Leather Drive in Burke.
Arabic Bible Baptist Church is located at 5424 Ox Road in Fairfax Station. Pastor: Tony Ghareeb. Call 703-273-5599 or e-mail to Tghareeb@wmconnect.com.
All are welcome to join the Fresh Fire congregation every Sunday for a service at 10:30 a.m. Pastor Sackey and his congregation invite all to participate in preaching and teaching, praise and worship, in a Christ-centered ministry. Fresh Fire International Center meets at the Chinese Martial Arts Building, 8426-B Lee Highway, Fairfax, opposite the BMW Fairfax; entrance is in the back. Call 703-815-8950.
Body and Soul aerobics and strength training classes meet every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 9-10:30 a.m., at Burke Community Church, 9990 Old Keene Mill Road. The spring session runs for 12 weeks. Body and Soul is a complete cardiovascular and strength workout to contemporary Christian music. For more information contact Suzann Albanese at 703-569-0041.