The Grove City College Touring Choir provides sacred choral music for the worship services on Saturday, March 19, at 5:30 p.m., and Sunday, March 20 at 8:30 a.m. and 11:15 a.m., at Burke Presbyterian Church, 5690 Oak Leather Drive, Burke. For more, call 703-764-0456.
St. John's United Methodist Church presents "The Living Last Supper," on March 20, at 7 p.m., and March 21, at 7:30 p.m., at the church, 5312 Backlick Road, Springfield. Free. Childcare provided. Call 703-256-6655.
The Messiah United Methodist Church sponsors the following events/services. The church is located at 6215 Rolling Road, Springfield. For more information, call 703-569-9862.
* Handel's Messiah, Parts II and III takes place Sunday, March 20, at 3 p.m. Celebrate Palm Sunday by exploring who Christ is, his life, ministry, death and resurrection through the music of Handel. A free-will offering will be taken to benefit UMCOR's tsunami relief efforts.
Healing Service. A service of prayer takes place Tuesday, March 22 at 7:30 p.m.
* Holy Week Services at Messiah. Palm Sunday, March 20, Worship at 8:15 a.m., 9:30 a.m., 11 a.m. and 7:15 p.m.; Holy Thursday, March 24, evening worship at 7:30 p.m.; Good Friday, March 25, self-guided Stations of the Cross, 6 a.m. to 6 p.m., evening service at 7:30 p.m.; Holy Saturday, March 26, Labyrinth Walk, 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.; Easter Sunday Services, March 27, 8 a.m., 9:30 a.m. and 11 a.m.
* Sunday Services. Traditional Sunday morning worship services: 8:15 a.m. (with Holy Communion every Sunday), 9:30 a.m. and 11 a.m. (Holy Communion on the first Sunday)
* Heartline. A contemporary praise and worship service, Sunday evenings at 7:15 p.m.
Fairfax Christian Church, located at 10185 Main St., Fairfax, sponsors a series of Lenten activities. For more information, call 703-385-3520.
* Bible Study: Portraits of Jesus in the Gospels, takes place Wednesdays in March from 7:30-8:30 p.m. This class features a video series by Dr. Fred Craddock, Disciples New Testament theologian and nationally-renown preacher and speaker. Class will include discussion of the following topic: The Cross, March 23.
* Experience the Passover meal on March 24, at 7:30 p.m., and reflect on the events leading up to Easter through drama and music.
* Easter Sunday Service on Sunday, March 27, at 10:30 a.m. Celebrate the triumph of Christ's resurrection.
Sydenstricker United Methodist Church, located at 8508 Hooes Road, Springfield, offers the following events/services. Call 703-451-8223 or visit www.sumcdisciples.org.
* The Lenten study, "The Life You've Always Wanted," takes place through the week of March 23. Five different class times are offered — Wednesday mornings, Sundays at 9:45 a.m. or 7 p.m., Mondays at 7:30 p.m., and Thursdays at 9:20 a.m. The study offers fresh perspectives on faith practices for ordinary people, practices such as prayer and Bible reading. Registration required.
* Easter Services. The first service of Easter worship takes place on Saturday, March 26, at 5:30 p.m., in the Chapel; On Sunday, March 27, at 6:30 a.m., in the Chapel cemetery; at 8:15 a.m. and 11:15 a.m., in the Sanctuary and 9:45 a.m., in the Chapel. Easter breakfast is served at 7 a.m., in Hottle Hall.
* An Easter party takes place Saturday, March 26, from 10-11:30 a.m., in Hottle Hall. Activities to include crafts, story time, making Easter cards for shut-ins, face painting, games, cake walk, an Easter egg hunt and a visit by the Easter Bunny.
Congregation Adat Reyim, located at 6500 Westbury Oaks Court, in Springfield, sponsors the following events/services. To register or for more information, call 703-569-7577 or visit www.adatreyim.org.
Purim Service. "The Magillah According to Rodgers and Hammerstein" on March 24. Traditional readings begin at 7 p.m. Costumes encouraged. 703-569-7577 or visit www.adatreyim.org.
* Services. Adat Reyim is a progressive conservative congregation with educational programs for preschoolers through high schoolers. Led by Rabbi Bruce Aft. Services are as follow: Maariv every Wednesday at 7:40 p.m.; Erev Shabbat every Friday at 8 p.m.; and Shabbat Service every Saturday at 9:30 a.m. Call for information on monthly Tot Shabbat, Kabbalat Shabbat and other special services.
St. Christopher's Episcopal Church hosts Holy Week Services on Maundy Thursday, March 24, at 7:30 p.m. and on Good Friday, March 25, at noon. The Great Vigil of Easter begin March 26, at 7:30 p.m., and Holy Eucharist takes place on March 27, at 7:30 a.m., and 10:30 a.m. St. Christopher's is located at 6320 Hanover Ave., Springfield. 703-451-1088.
The Springfield United Methodist Church sponsors the following events/services. The church is located at 7047 Old Keene Mill Road, Springfield. For more information, call 703-971-2977.
* Dr. Ernest K. Emurian's play, "The Last Living Supper," takes place on March 24, in the Social Hall.
* Stations of the Cross, as part of Good Friday worship, from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m., in the sanctuary. Worshippers can pray and reflect as they walk the stations.
* Easter Egg Hunt, on March 26, at 10 a.m., on the church lawn.
* Easter Sunday services offered on March 27, at 8:15 a.m., in the chapel and 10:30 a.m., in the sanctuary. The 10:30 a.m. service also features special music with choirs and brass.
Chabad Lubavitch of Northern Virginia hosts its annual Purim Celebration on March 24, at 6:45 p.m., at the Ernst Cultural Center at Nova Community College Annandale Campus, 8333 Little River Turnpike, Fairfax. Event features an Italian themed Purim party, Great Italian Food, a Purim masquerade competition, live music, children's entertainment, arts and crafts, games, prizes and more. Also hear Rabbi Pavarotti read the Megillah. Ticket costs are $13 adult, $8 children ages 3 to 12 and $50 for the whole family. Please RSVP by March 20 at 703-426-1980 or www.chabadva.org.
The Ekoji Buddhist Temple offers the seminar, "The Buddha Here & Now," as part of its ongoing Spring Seminar Series, on March 26, from 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Featured speaker is the Rev. Kodo Umezu, from the Headquarters of the Buddhist Churches of America (BCA) in San Francisco. Seminar is free, and lunch is provided. Visit www.ekoji.org. The Ekoji Buddhist Temple is located at 6500 Lake Haven Lane, Fairfax Station.
The churches of West Springfield sponsor an Easter Sunrise Service on Sunday, March 27, at 6:30 a.m., at the Springfield Golf and Country Club, 8301 Old Keene Mill Road, Springfield. Choral music provided by the West Springfield High School Madrigals.
Jewish Community Center of Northern Virginia and Chabad of Northern Virginia sponsor "The Passover Experience," on Sunday, April 3, from 1-5 p.m., at the Jewish Community Center of Northern Virginia, 8900 Little River Turnpike, Fairfax. Cost is $1 per person, $5 for whole family. Call 703-323-0880 or e-mail CarlaR@jccnv.org.
The Spiritual Parenting support group meets the first Sunday of every month, 12-1 p.m., at Washington Irving Middle School in Springfield. For more information, visit www.NewWorldUnity.org or call 703-690-7925. Child care is available on request.
Burke Community Church offers a weekly group for men called Men’s Fraternity to help discover authentic manhood as directed through the Word of God. Tuesdays, 6 a.m., at 9900 Old Keene Mill Road, Springfield.