<bt>Gary Powers, the outgoing Vienna-Tysons Regional Chamber of Commerce president, has provided a variety of contributions to both the Vienna community and the surrounding area. Among his contributions is the Cold War Museum, slated to open in Lorton. Powers has been selected as this week's People Profile.
Number of Years in the Vienna Community: Four and a half years as President of the VTRCC
Family: Wife, Jennifer Powers and son, Trey Powers, 2 1/2 years old.
Education: Bachelor of arts in philosophy from California State University Los Angeles; masters of public administration and certificate of nonprofit management from George Mason University.
Current job/primary occupation: President, Vienna-Tysons Regional Chamber of Commerce; founder, The Cold War Museum
* Ten Outstanding Young Americans - United States Jaycees, 2002.
* Board of Directors – Prince William Regional Chamber of Commerce, 2000.
* Certificate of Appreciation – National Image and Mapping Agency for U-2 Incident briefing, 1999.
* Who's Who in Rising Young Americans, 1991 – 1999.
* Ten Outstanding Young Virginians - Virginia Jaycees, 1998.
* Certificate of Appreciation – Central Intelligence Agency for “Return to ‘Glorie’ Land” display, 1997.
* Certificate of Appreciation – National Security Agency’s 91st Squadron for history symposium lecture, 1997.
* Board of Directors – Virginia Chamber Orchestra, 1995 – 1997.
* Promotion of the History of Photo Reconnaissance Award – National Reconnaissance Office, 1996.
* Published in American Heritage Magazine, Forbes, New York, N.Y., September 2000, among many others. Activities/interests/hobbies? Snow Skiing, science fiction, Cold War history
What are your community concerns? What are some ideas you have on ways to improve your community? Public transportation, traffic and congestion. Metro Rail to Dulles through Tysons Corner will help.
What community "hidden treasure" do you think more people should know about? The service clubs that give back to the community such as Vienna Rotary, Vienna Optimist and Vienna Lions.
Favorite local restaurant or place in Vienna/Oakton? Visit www.vtrcc.org for a list of my favorite Chamber member restaurants.
Personal goals? Attend the grand opening of The Cold War Museum (www.coldwar.org) in Lorton Virginia within the next two years.
Parting Words. I can think of no finer organization to have worked for than the VTRCC. I would like to thank our members and the VTRCC Board, past and present, for
their support, guidance, and dedication during my presidency. Together, over the past four years, we have grown our membership to over 400 businesses, hosted numerous events and activities for the area business
community, and strengthened our organization. As a result, we have positioned the Chamber for positive growth over the foreseeable future in the Vienna-Tysons area. I am confident that the current VTRCC Board and the one being assembled by Incoming Chairman Billy Thompson will continue the hard work of growing and strengthening our Chamber of Commerce.
Know someone who should be recognized for his or her contributions to the community? Send People Profile nominations to Nina M. Dry to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703-917-6422.