<lst>Know something that should be listed in Health & Fitness? Send a brief write-up to 7913 Westpark Drive, McLean, VA, 22102, fax to 703-917-0991 or call Jon Whiten at 703-917-6422.
Fairfax County Public Schools and the county’s Department of Family Services offer support groups for grandparents and other relatives raising grandchildren. The groups run from October-January. A beginning session meets on Thursday, Oct. 20, from 7-8:30 p.m., at the Bryant Alternative High School, 2709 Popkins Lane, Alexandria. Free child care is available to pre-registered participants. To register, call 703-277-2640. Visit www.fairfaxcounty.gov/aaa.
Self Help for Hard of Hearing People co-sponsors a hearing loss workshop, Saturday, Oct. 22, from 10 a.m.-12 p.m., at NVRC, 3951 Pender Drive, Suite 130, Fairfax. Free, but registration is required. Register to email@example.com or 703-352-9055.
Fairfax United Methodist Church presents a health fair, Saturday, Oct. 22, from 8 a.m.-1 p.m. The church is located at 10300 Stratford Ave., Fairfax. Call 703-591-3120.
The Fairfax Caregiver Seminar Consortium sponsors a series of seminars for caregivers of older adults. Seminars take place at various times and locations in Fairfax County, from September-November. Visit www.fairfaxcounty.gov/aaa or call 703-324-7948; TTY 703-449-1186. To register for one or more seminars, call 703-324-5205; TTY 703-449-1186.
The National Capital Chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society presents “Perspectives in Multiple Sclerosis,” with Dr. James Simsarian, on Wednesday, Oct. 26, from 7:30-9 p.m., at Inova Fairfax Hospital, Physician’s Conference Center, 3300 Gallows Road, Falls Church. Call 202-296-9891 or visit www.msandyou.org.
Safeway presents its annual flu clinic campaign at stores throughout the mid-Atlantic region through Nov. 18. The clinics will offer customers (ages 12 and above) a choice of flu or pneumonia vaccinations. Shots will be administered in compliance with the Centers for Disease Control priority guidelines that gives highest priority to persons over the age of 65. As in previous years, no cost is assessed for Medicare Part B beneficiaries who simply present their card at the flu clinic and complete a roster billing form. Non-Medicare participants will be charged $25 for flu shots and $35 for the pneumonia vaccine.
Registered nurses will administer the shots at all Safeway locations. The dates and locations are:
* 5727 Burke Centre in Burke, on Tuesday, Oct. 25, from 10 a.m.-2 p.m.; and Tuesday, Nov. 8, from 3-7 p.m.
* 103550 Willard Way in Fairfax, on Saturday, Oct. 29, from 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
* 3043 Nutley St. in Fairfax, on Saturday, Oct. 22, from 10 a.m.-2 p.m.; and Monday, Nov. 14, from 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
* 9596 Old Keene Mill Road in Burke, on Thursday, Oct. 20, from 10 a.m.-2 p.m.; and Friday, Nov. 4, from 3-7 p.m.
* 12200 Fairfax Towne in Fairfax, on Friday, Nov. 4, from 3-7 p.m.
* 9525 Braddock Road in Burke, on Sunday, Nov. 6, from 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
* 5204 Port Royal Road in Springfield, on Wednesday, Oct. 26, from 10 a.m.-2 p.m.; and Saturday, Nov. 10, from 3-7 p.m.