Know something that should be listed in Health & Fitness? Send a brief write-up to 7913 Westpark Drive, McLean, VA, 22102, fax to 703-917-0991 or call Jon Whiten at 703-917-6422.
Safeway presents its annual flu clinic campaign at stores throughout the mid-Atlantic region through Nov. 18. The clinics will offer customers (ages 12 and above) a choice of flu or pneumonia vaccinations. Shots will be administered in compliance with the Centers for Disease Control priority guidelines that gives highest priority to persons over the age of 65. As in previous years, no cost is assessed for Medicare Part B beneficiaries who simply present their card at the flu clinic and complete a roster billing form. Non-Medicare participants will be charged $25 for flu shots and $35 for the pneumonia vaccine.
Registered nurses will administer the shots at all Safeway locations. The dates and locations are:
* 5727 Burke Centre in Burke, on Tuesday, Nov. 8, from 3-7 p.m.
* 103550 Willard Way in Fairfax, on Saturday, Oct. 29, from 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
* 3043 Nutley St. in Fairfax, on Monday, Nov. 14, from 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
* 9596 Old Keene Mill Road in Burke, on Friday, Nov. 4, from 3-7 p.m.
* 12200 Fairfax Towne in Fairfax, on Friday, Nov. 4, from 3-7 p.m.
* 9525 Braddock Road in Burke, on Sunday, Nov. 6, from 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
* 5204 Port Royal Road in Springfield, on Saturday, Nov. 10, from 3-7 p.m.
The Epilepsy Foundation of Virginia sponsors an Epilepsy Awareness Stroll Saturday, Nov. 5, beginning at 9 a.m. at Lake Fairfax Park, 1400 Lake Fairfax Drive, Reston. For more or to register, visit www.epilepsyfoundation.org/virginia, or call 703-328-5007 or e-mail email@example.com.
The Ostomy Support Group of Northern Virginia's monthly meeting, "Skin Care and Complications," is Sunday, Nov. 6, from 1:30-3:30 p.m., at INOVA Fairfax Hospital, 3300 Gallows Road in Falls Church. Call 703-802-3457 or visit www.novachapteruoa.org.
Haven of Northern Virginia presents a free six-week support group for those whose loved ones have died by suicide, beginning Monday, Nov. 7, from 7:30-9 p.m., at 4606 Ravensworth Road, Annandale. Space is limited, registration is required. Call 703-941-7000 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Washington Regional Transplant Consortium presents "Hope for the Holidays," a free grief seminar facilitated by Kathleen Persson, Sunday, Nov. 13, from 2-4 p.m., at INOVA Fairfax, 3300 Gallows Road, Falls Church. Call 866-Be-A-Donor or visit www.beadonor.org.
The Fairfax Caregiver Seminar Consortium sponsors a series of seminars for caregivers of older adults. Seminars take place at various times and locations in Fairfax County, from September-November. Visit www.fairfaxcounty.gov/aaa or call 703-324-7948; TTY 703-449-1186. To register for one or more seminars, call 703-324-5205; TTY 703-449-1186.
Alzheimer's Family Day Center, located at 2812 Old Lee Highway, Fairfax, hosts various classes. Reservations are required, and classes are open to people who are caring for a relative or friend with dementia. For more, call 703-204-4664 or visit www.alzheimersfdc.org/classes.htm.
HAVEN of Northern Virginia sponsors the following bereavement support groups. HAVEN of Northern Virginia is located at 4606 Ravensworth Road, Annandale. For more information, call 703-941-7000 or visit www.havenofnova.org:
* Widow/Widower Bereavement Support Groups, for anyone grieving the death of a spouse. Meetings take place on the first and third Thursday of the month or on the second and fourth Tuesday of the month. The next Tuesday meetings take place Nov. 8 and 22, from 7:30-9 p.m. The next Thursday meetings take place Nov. 3 and 17, from 2-3:30 p.m.
* Suicide Survivors Bereavement Support Group, for anyone grieving the loss of a loved one to suicide, meets the first Tuesday of the month from 7:30-9 p.m. Next meeting takes place Nov. 1.
Mothers & More is a support group for women who have altered their career path to care for their young children at home. The group offers playgroups, children's and family activities, guest speakers, book club, mom's night out, movie night, chat group and more. For more information, call 1-866-716-7766 or visit www.novamoms.org. The group meets at the following:
* The third Wednesday of the month at 7:30 p.m., in the Braddock Hall at the Kings Park Library, 9000 Burke Lake Road, Burke. The next meeting is Nov. 16.
* The first Thursday of the month at 7:30 p.m., at the Fairfax County Government Center. Next meeting is Nov. 3.