<lst>Know something that should be featured in Faith Notes? Send a brief write-up and photos to 7913 Westpark Drive, McLean, VA 22102, fax to 703-917-0991 or call Jon Whiten at 703-917-6422.
St. Stephen's United Methodist Church presents a free Community Fun Day on Saturday, Sept. 10, from 12-5 p.m., featuring games, rides, and food, at 9203 Braddock Road, Burke. For more, call 703-978-8724.
King of Kings Lutheran Church, 4025 Kings Way, Fairfax, offers the following events/services:
* Crafters and vendors are needed for the church's annual Craft Fair, Saturday, Sept. 24. For more, call 703-378-7272.
St. Christopher's Episcopal Church celebrates 50 years as a faith community in Springfield with a Joyful Celebration Service at on Sunday, Sept. 11, at 9:30 a.m., exactly 50 years after the first service. A Gala Reception follows the service. St. Christopher's is located at 6320 Hanover Ave., Springfield. For more, call 703-451-1088.
St. John's United Methodist Church, located at 5312 Backlick Road, Springfield, presents its third annual Community Fun Festival, Saturday, Sept. 10, from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. The event includes train ride, moon bounce, big ocean slide, whirlybird, games, craft and vendor booths, food and free live music. For more, call 703-560-6655.
St. Mark's Church is selling gently used Sony Vaio computers with flatscreen monitors for $500. For more, visit www.stmarkdc.org. St. Mark's is located at 11911 Braddock Road, Fairfax.
St. Matthew’s United Methodist Church, 8617 Little River Turnpike, Annandale, hosts the following events. For more, visit www.stmatthewsumc.org or call 703-978-3500.
* Open Hearts Open House on Saturday, Sept. 10, from 4-8 p.m. The Open Hearts celebrates community with family and children’s games, fellowship activities, candle-lighting ceremony and free food.
* Sunrise Service on Sunday, Sept. 11, 6-7 a.m. This special sunrise service offers a time of remembrance for the community.
* ESOL Classes are offered Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 7-9 p.m. Fall Classes start Sept. 13. Five free class levels cater to the student’s English language proficiency.
The Lutheran Church of the Abiding Presence on 6504 Lee Chapel Road in Burke, presents a Memorial Service on Sept. 11, at 4 p.m. Fifty singers from six area churches, soloists and members of the American Youth Symphony Orchestra and Fairfax Choral Society will present, concert style, "The Faure Requiem." This service is being done to memorialize those who were lost in 2001, to remember families who lost loved ones and to pray for the country.
The second annual Adat Reyim Craft and Fun Fair takes place Sunday, Sept. 18, at the Springfield synagogue, 6500 Westbury Oaks Court, Springfield. Non-Judaic crafts accepted. Vendor tables available for advance fee of $25, all tables indoors. For more, call 703-569-7577.
The Messiah United Methodist Church sponsors the following events/services. The church is located at 6215 Rolling Road, Springfield. For more, call 703-569-9862.
* Messiah Day. Sunday, Sept. 11, at 12:15 p.m. The church celebrates its ministries and mission with fellowship, food and lots of fun. There will be games, a moonbounce, a talent show, a dunk tank and more.
* 40 Days of Purpose. The church will join churches nationwide to study the book "The Purpose Driven Life" beginning Sept. 18. For more on the program, call the church.
* Sunday Services. Traditional Sunday morning worship services: 8:15 a.m., with Holy Communion every Sunday; 9:30 a.m. and 11 a.m., Holy Communion on the first Sunday; and Heartline, a contemporary praise and worship service, Sunday evenings at 7:15 p.m.
* Prayer at Messiah. Messiah offers the following prayer ministries: Sunday Morning Prayers, 7:15 a.m. in the Chapel; Tuesday Evening Prayer, 7:30 p.m. in the Chapel and Wednesday Prayer Group, 6 a.m. in the Chapel.
* Singles Sunday School, each Sunday, at 10:45 a.m., in Room 266.
* Divorce Recovery. The eight-week program is designed to help divorced or separated persons learn how to grow and discover new doors to the future, and begins Wednesday, Sept. 21, from 7:30-9 p.m. Call Salley Sutton, 703-569-9862, ext. 213 to pre-register.
Burke United Methodist Church hosts a 75th Anniversary Celebration on Saturday, Sept. 17, from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. The event features an antique car show, craft fair, historic displays, bake sale, children's activities, music and a complimentary lunch. The church is located at 6200 Burke Centre Parkway, Burke. For more, call 703-250-6100.
Highview Christian Fellowship, located at 4100 Hunt Road in Fairfax, presents the "Walk Thru the Bible" ministry, Saturday, Sept. 17, from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Participants learn about the major people, places, and events of the Old Testament. Tuition is $25 and includes training materials and lunch. Checks should be made payable to: HPCA. For more or to register, call 703-323-6367 or visit www.highviewcf.org.
The Women's Ministries of Jubilee Christian Center presents an 8-week Fall Women's Bible Study, using the book, "Believing God" by Beth Moore. The study is on Mondays, from 7:30-9 p.m., starting Sept. 19, and also on Tuesdays, from 9:45 a.m.-noon, starting Sept. 20. The church is located at 4650 Shirley Gate Road, Fairfax. The cost is $20, which includes the book; if you have the book, the cost is $5. Call 703-383-1170 to register.
Truro Church MOPS would like to invite all mothers of preschool aged children to join MOPS for relevant speakers, small group time with other moms and food. The group meets the second Thursday of every month, and the next meeting will be Sept. 8, at 7 p.m., at Truro Church, located at 10520 Main St., Fairfax, in the church fellowship hall on the lower level. For more, call Amanda Qreitem at 703-222-2332 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
<lst>The following events take place at the Jewish Community Center of Northern Virginia. JCCNV is located at 8900 Little River Turnpike, Fairfax. For more information, call 703-323-0880, ext. 19. If Fairfax County Schools are closed or have delayed opening, the senior program is canceled.
<cal1>Active Adult Programs
<cal2>Active Retiree Program. Meets each Thursday at 10:30 a.m. Upcoming meetings:
* "New Beginnings," Monday, Sept. 15. Pat Kellerman, the author of "Starting Over: Reinventing Life After 60" leads the program which features a complimentary light lunch. RSVP to Pam Weiner at extension 47 by Sept. 12.
* Concert and singalong, Monday, Sept. 22. Lisa Shaw from the Levine School of Music will perform a free concert of musical theater favorites.
* The Jewish Insider's Guide to Virginia Politics, Thursday, Oct. 6. Debra Linick, the Jewish Community Relations Council's assistant director for Northern Virginia leads a discussion, "Statewide Elections and Beyond."
* Balaleika Concert, Thursday, Oct. 20. The Washington Balaleika Society Ensemble performs.
* "Medicare Part D Made Easy," Thursday, Oct. 27. Howard Houghton will discuss the latest changes to Medicare Part D.
<lst>JCCNV Senior Connection: Coffee, Cards and Conversation. Fill your Tuesday mornings with cards, conversation and laughter. Senior Connection meets on Tuesdays at 9:30 a.m.
JCCNV Games and Conversation. Monday Mornings, from 10 a.m. to noon. Fill your Monday mornings with games such as Scrabble, Mah Jongg, Cards, Rummikub and others. This is an informal, drop-in activity. Coffee, tea and refreshments are provided. Cost is $2 for members and $3 for nonmembers.
<cal2>Inova Healthsource's "Fight the Flu" campaign. On Friday, Oct. 21, from 9 a.m.-1 p.m., a registered nurse will be at the JCCNV to give flu shots. Pregnant women and children under 18 should get their vaccinations in their physician's office. The cost is $25. Medicare Part B is accepted as payment in full for the flu shot. Seniors or others enrolled in a managed care plan should receive their flu shots from their primary medical provider.
<lst>The following events take place at the Jewish Social Service Agency at 3018 Javier Road, Fairfax. For more information or to register, call 703-204-9100.
Support Groups for parents of Children with Special needs. Open to parents of children with ADHD, Asperger's Syndrome and other developmental issues. The group will focus on building a support network for parents, children's developmental issues and balancing one's own needs with those of the family. Tuesdays at 7 p.m., Call to register.
Stress Management Workshop. In this four-session workshop, children and teens learn to recognize stress, practice ways to relax, learn positive "stress-busters," and build quieting activities into busy lives. Call for class dates and times.
Social Skills/Therapy Groups. Weekly meetings open to children who have difficulty in social situations because of ADHD or other challenges. Learn appropriate social behavior, listening, problem solving, dealing with emotions and making friends.
Girl Talk. Open to adolescent girls, meet weekly to focus on overcoming difficulties with peers, social skills and other age-appropriate issues.