Know of something that should be listed in Classes & Workshops? Send a brief write-up to 7913 Westpark Drive, McLean, VA 22102, fax to 703-917-0991 or Lea Mae Rice at 703-917-6459. Deadline is two weeks prior to the date of the event.
The Springfield Art Guild offers the following classes at Kings Park Community room at the Kings Park Shopping Center. Call 703-866-5254.
* Oil Painting Workshop. Every Wednesday, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. $15 per session. Drop in for professional instruction by Susan Norman. Students provide own supplies.
* Expressive Arts Workshop. Saturdays July 8, 15, and 22 from 1-2:30 p.m. Learn with Maureen Wolford. Cost $125, includes supplies.
* Open Studio/Critique takes place the first and third Thursdays of the month from 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Free. Tables, chairs, water and spotlights available. Students bring own supplies. Call 703-493-7676.
Life Through Art is an art center based in Springfield that offers classes, camps and healing sessions. Call Maureen at 703-455-4473 or visit www.lifethroughart.com.
* Women’s Art Healing Group. Meet and create art projects relevant to current life experiences. Meets twice a month on Wednesdays from 7-9 p.m. at 9018 Maritime Court, Springfield. $25 per session including supplies.
* Art Studio Critique. Welcome all aspiring and established artists. Work on own project with some instruction or critique. Meets Tuesdays from 10 a.m.-noon, at 9018 Maritime Court, Springfield. $10 per session with own supplies or $15 per session with most supplies.
* After School Art. Explore many different types of art including drawing, architecture, art history and sculpture. Meets at 9018 Maritime Court, Springfield. $25 per group session or $35 per individual session including supplies. Classes and schedules are individually created for each child’s interest and schedule.
Carol Zeitlin of Burke offers art classes and camps to students of all ages. Call Carol Zeitlin at 703-250-6930 or visit www.geocities.com/czeitlinschneier.
* Art Classes for 5-8 year olds. Available in drawing and watercolor painting. Classes meet in Burke on Tuesdays, Thursdays or Saturdays.
* Art Classes for 8 years and up. Available in drawing and watercolor painting. Classes meet in Burke on Tuesdays, Thursdays or Saturdays.
* Art Classes for teens/adults. Available in drawing and watercolor painting. Classes meet in Burke on Tuesdays, Thursdays or Saturdays.
* Art Lessons. Youth ages 8 years and older can take part in one of three art classes on Tuesdays from 4:30-5:45 p.m., Thursdays from 5:15-6:30 p.m. or Saturdays from 9:15-10:30 a.m. Classes are 9-11 weeks long.
* Drawing Lessons. Youth ages 8 years and older can take part in one of two art classes on Tuesdays from 4:30-5:45 p.m. or Thursdays from 5:15-6:30 p.m. Classes are 9-10 weeks long.
* Art Workshop. Teens and adults can take part in an art workshop, on Saturdays from 10:30-12 p.m. Classes are 9-10 weeks long.
* Chinese Brush Painting. Teens and adults can take part in Chines Brush painting on Saturdays from 11-12:15 p.m. Classes are 9-10 weeks long.
Greenspring Village’s English As a Second Language (ESL). Instruction to assist employees who want to improve their language skills. ESL classes meet twice a week. Volunteers who wish to enroll are asked to pay a $20 registration fee to be refunded at the completion of the course. Follow-up ESL courses for students who wish to continue are now in the planning stage. Visit www.ericksonretirement.com.
Adult English as a Second Language (ESL). Classes offered by Hogar Hispano of Catholic Charities at 24 locations in Northern Virginia. The cost is $40 per semester, textbook included. Call 703-534-9805 ext. 222 or visit www.ccda.net for the schedule.
Conversational English. Groups meet to practice English each Monday at 3 p.m. at Richard Byrd Community Library, 7250 Commerce St., Springfield. Adults only. Call 703-451-8055.
Skating Lessons. Skater's Quest of Fairfax gives free skate lessons with a qualified professional. Lessons take place at Dick's Sporting Goods, 12501 Fair Lakes Circle, Fairfax. To register or for more information, visit www.skatersquest.com or www.freeskatelesson.com.
Knitting. The Yarn Barn, located at 9413-C Old Burke Lake Road, Burke, sponsors knitting classes. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.geocities.com/theyarnbarnonline.
Emergency Preparedness Clinics. The American Red Cross of the National Capital Area's Fairfax/Falls Church Office and the Fairfax County Citizen Corps Council sponsor monthly Emergency Preparedness Clinics. Participants will learn how to make a kit to help through the first 72 hours of a local or regional emergency; help prepare a list for what should be on hand for disasters; prepare a family communication plan; learn about the different kinds of emergencies and how to prepare for them; first aid skills and more. To host a clinic or attend one, contact Jesse Viles, community outreach coordinator at 703-805-2332 or e-mail email@example.com.
Estate Planning. Attorney Bryan R. Bishop presents a free Estate Planning Seminar on the second Tuesday of each month at 7 p.m. at 8704 Lee Highway, Suite 201 in Fairfax. Reservations appreciated, but walk-ins welcomed. Call 703-641-0300.
Digital Photography of Nature. Learn new skills and improve old skills in a class offered by the Fairfax Audubon Society in Annandale. The class costs $150 for Fairfax Audubon Society members and $175 for non-members. Visit the FAS Web site at www.fairfaxaudubon.org or call 703-256-2060.
Mature Operator's Driver Improvement Program (MODIP). This eight-hour class for Virginia residents 55 and older covers safe-driving information. The course is sanctioned by the American Automobile Association (AAA) and is presented by certified Fairfax County Auxiliary Police officers. Upon completion of this course, drivers are eligible for the Virginia state mandated insurance premium reduction (check with individual insurance carriers for the amount). Classes take place the second Saturday of each month from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., at the Franconia District Station, 6121 Franconia Road. $10 per person for books and materials. Call 703-924-6588.
The Jewish Council for Aging SeniorNet Computer Learning Center at the Springfield Shopping Mall offers basic computer skills. Beginner and advanced classes are available. Cost is $75 for a 12-hour, six-week session. Call 301-255-4217.
Strength Training. The City of Fairfax Senior Center hosts "Easy Strength Training," classes on Wednesdays, from 10:30-11:30 a.m. at the center. The fee is $10 per month. Call 703-359-2487. The City of Fairfax Senior Center is located at 4401 Sideburn Road, Fairfax.
Senior Classes. The Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at George Mason University welcomes new members. The opportunity to attend a free sample class is available to those interested. Call the Tallwood office at 703-503-3384 or online at www.olli.gmu.edu, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Internet Training. Basic training for beginners who want to learn more about cataloging and the Internet at Pohick Regional Library, 6450 Sydenstricker Road, Burke. Adults only. Call 703-644-7333 for an appointment.
Internet Tutoring. Personalized Internet tutoring at Fairfax City Regional Library, 3915 Chain Bridge Road, Fairfax. Adults only. Call 703-293-6227 for appointment.
Israeli Dance Class. Tuesdays, 8-10 p.m., at the Jewish Community Center of Northern Virginia, 8900 Little River Turnpike, Fairfax. Beginner, intermediate and advanced. $5/session/JCCNV member; $6/non-member; $4/student or senior. Reservations not required. Call 301-982-0937.
Irish Step Dance Classes. Fridays at 6 p.m. and 7 p.m. Open to beginners ages 5-15 at Studio One, 6208 Rolling Road, Springfield. Call Jordan Dudney at 703-899-5317.
Learn the social dances (ballroom, Latin, swing, night club, country western and polka) in Cy Richardson's group classes on Tuesday nights at the Oaks Community Center, 5708 Oak Leather Drive, Burke. Six-week sessions (8 hours) beginning Sept. 5. $56/person. Free make up class. Singles and couples welcome. Call Cy at 703-250-5360.
Tiny Dancers now offers ballet, tap and hip-hop classes as week-long mini-camps for children ages 3-6. Each week-long camp session includes daily instruction in ballet, tap or jazz, a snack, fine motor exercise and dress-up dance interpretation. The session culminates with a recital at the end of the week. Sessions are offered at both the Fairfax and Gainesville locations. For information and registration, call 703-385-5580 or visit www.tinydancers.com.