Recycling and Utilities


Montgomery County provides a weekly curbside collection of recyclables for single family homes and townhouses.

Aluminum foil, cans, glass bottles and jars, and plastic bottles are acceptable materials to put in bins. To obtain a recycling bin and find out about collections call 240-777-6410.

* Shredded and clean paper should be secured in a closed paper bag or box and placed in the county-issued wheeled carts.

* Cardboard boxes should be set out next to blue bins.

* Single-family residents can also leave grass clippings, leaves and brush to be picked up on recycling day year-round for composting. They should be placed in a large brown paper bag, a reusable container like a trashcan marked "Yard Trim" or tied with twine, and cannot exceed 45 pounds.

* Plastic bags should be thrown away. Grocery bags and newspaper wrappers may be collected at local grocery stores.

* Hazardous waste can be dropped off by residents at local collection sites on specific days during the year. Visit www.montgomerycountymd.gov/solidwaste to find out about acceptable materials and other information.

Visit www.montgomerycountymd.gov/solidwaste to find out more about Recycling Holidays, and recyclable materials.


Pepco: 202-833-7500 7 a.m.-8 p.m. or 1-800-424-8028; www.pepco.com, 701 Ninth Street, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20068-0001

Pepco Power Outages: 1-877-PEPCO-62. They cannot respond to e-mail outage reports.

Pepco Life-Threatening Emergencies: 202-872-3432. Any time. Call for wires down, cables cut, poles stuck or loss of power to life-sustaining equipment.

Pepco Servicio en Espanol: 202-872-4641 7 a.m.-8 p.m.

Pepco TTY: 202-872-2369

Pepco Customer Service Center: 200 West Gude Drive Rockville 10 a.m.-2 p.m.

Washington Gas: 703-750-1000. Natural gas leak emergency: 703-750 1400. Office hours are Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.

Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission (WSSC): Billing 301-206-4001. Emergencies 301-206-4002. Toll free 1-800-634-8400. Visit www.wsscwater.com.

Verizon: For billing or service questions call 301-954-6260. Visit www.verizon.com. For assistance call 800-275-2355. For payment information and arrangements call 888-780-3962.

Comcast Cable or High Speed Internet Service: Visit www.comcast.com or call 301-424-4400.