The District of Columbia Council of Engineering and Architectural Societies selected Diana Joch of Centreville, as the 2006 Young Engineer of the Year. This award honors members of the engineering profession for outstanding accomplishment in the field of engineering and affiliated technologies.
Diana is a Senior Systems Engineer for Northrop Grumman Mission Systems in Virginia. She was nominated by the Society of Women Engineers Baltimore-Washington Section based on her critical contributions to U.S. intelligence systems and financial networks through her software engineering expertise. In addition, Diana has shown tireless dedication to the engineering profession and the community through many professional and volunteer activities. Diana and her husband, Charles, live in Centreville and have three children: Ethan, Braeden and Rebecca.
A new Rotary Club is forming in Centreville. The club would like to encourage business leaders to attend the next meeting on Tuesday, April 4 at 11 a.m. at the Border Cafe in Centreville. Rotary is a global network of business and professional leaders who provide humanitarian service, encourage high ethical standards, and help build goodwill and peace in the world. The Centreville club has 15 potential members and is looking for at least five more to receive its charter. E-mail Gregg@gandcauto.com.
The Centreville Family Health Center (CFHC) is pleased to announce the arrival of Tammy Showalter, licensed massage therapist, to its staff. Tammy comes from southern Maryland where she has been on staff at the Healthsouth clinic. She is offering one hour, full body massages — either Swedish (relaxation) or deep tissue (sports-style massages) on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays at the rate of $75 for the full hour. Gift certificates are available as well. To schedule an appointment, call 703-222-3737.
Cardinal Bank has filed an application with the FDIC and the Commonwealth of Virginia for permission to open a banking office at 14000 Sullyfield Circle in Chantilly. The office, located at the juncture of Routes 28 and 50, will be Cardinal Bank's 12th community banking location in Fairfax County and 23rd branch in its footprint. The site includes two drive-through lanes plus one drive-up ATM for added customer convenience. The anticipated opening date is this May 2006.
Business and Professional Women (BPW) of Greater Fairfax will host Mary Grate-Pyos, president of Financially Focused Inc., author and columnist, speaking on "Real Women, Real Money, Real Financial Solutions" at its monthly dinner meeting on Monday, April 10, from 6:30-9 p.m., at Tysons Corner Embassy Suites, 8517 Leesburg Pike (Route 7), Vienna. Cost of the meeting is $25 for members and $30 for non-members. Call Elyse Galik at 703-652-8364.
Herndon Dulles Chamber of Commerce upcoming events:
* The Herndon Dulles Chamber of Commerce invites local businesses to its "Better Business Luncheons," held monthly at Sheraton Reston. On Tuesday, April 11, 11:45 a.m.-1:30 p.m., while enjoying a hot buffet lunch, glean knowledge from Cindy Gavelek of C-Scape Inc., who will explain how to become a power user of a contact management tool to gain more revenue. Register online or by calling 571-323-5300 or send an e-mail to email@example.com. Fees: Chamber members $25 in advance or $30 at door; $35 Nonmembers in advance or at door. Location: Sheraton, 11810 Sunrise Valley Drive, Reston.
* Chamber 101 is Wednesday, April 19. Learn how to use Chamber events and programs most effectively. Pre-register with Membership Director Ellen Kaminsky 571-323-5302 or by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Location: ITT Technical Institute, 14420 Albemarle Pt. Place, Suite 100, Chantilly.
* Chamber of Commerce Mixer is Thursday, April 13, from 5:30-7:30 p.m., at HRI Associates, 505 Huntmar Park Drive, Ste. 220, Herndon. Sample excellent wines, cheeses, etc., etc. Make great business connections. Fees: $10 for Chamber members; $15 for non-members. Register with the Chamber online at HerndonDullesChamber.org or call 571-323-5300, or email@example.com.
* Annual Student Job Fair – Meet hundreds of job candidates in one day in Chantilly on Wednesday April 19 from 3-6 p.m., at Dulles Expo Center (North Hill). Register by April 12 to recruit. Address: Chantilly Shopping Center Drive, Chantilly. Fees: $50 for Chamber members; $70 for nonmembers. Free to students. Register by April 12 for display space via the Events page of www.HerndonDullesChamber.org or call 571-323-5300.
"Entrepreneurship 1-1: Starting a Business in Fairfax County" seminars will continue in 2006 with nine dates for the year. The Fairfax Economic Development Authority conducts the workshop for individuals interested in beginning a business in Fairfax County.
Held on the first Tuesday of each month at FCEDA headquarters, 8300 Boone Blvd., Suite 4550, Vienna. Sessions begin at 8 a.m. with refreshments and networking. Sessions are free but pre-registration is required. Interested participants can register on the FCEDA's Web site at www.FairfaxCountyEDA.org. The scheduled 2006 dates are: April 4, May 2, June 6, Sept. 12, Oct. 3 and Nov. 7.
The FCEDA promotes Fairfax County as a business and technology center. The FCEDA assists businesses by identifying possible sites and facilities, and is a source for up-to-date demographic and economic information.
A free home financing seminar will be held Thursday, April 20 from 7-9 p.m. at the Holiday Inn Select Chantilly, 4335 Chantilly Shopping Center, Chantilly. Free credit report for all who pre-register for the event. Space is limited, call 703-734-7499 ext. 301.
The Virginia Business Opportunity Fair (VBOF) will be held May 7-9 at the Westfields Marriott and Dulles Expo Center in Chantilly and the event theme — "Upward Momentum: Power Plays for the Strategic Advantage" — is fitting. Kicking off with an opening golf tournament, the three-day event includes workshops, a trade fair and power networking.
The Herndon Dulles Chamber of Commerce and the Northern Virginia Community Foundation (HCCSP/NVCF) are seeking applicants for the annual Business and Technology Scholarship. This scholarship was established to provide annual business and technology merit scholarships to strengthen our area's workforce readiness supply. Eligibility is limited to employees and dependents of Herndon Dulles Chamber of Commerce members pursuing a post-secondary degree or certificate in a business- or technology-related field. Eligible employers can obtain applications by contacting the Chamber from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. at 571-323-5301 or by e-mailing the request to firstname.lastname@example.org. The application forms are due back to the Chamber by May 26. The awards will be made in early June.
A Business Networks International (BNI) Referral Networking meeting takes place every Thursday from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. at the Centreville Lonestar Steakhouse off Route 29 in the Centreville Square Shopping Center. Contact Chris Allen at 703-653-8946.
Bowman Consulting of Chantilly is partnering with PBS&J of Chantilly and Volkert & Associates of Alexandria, on two public sector projects. In conjunction with PBS&J, Bowman Consulting will provide civil engineering and surveying services for an open-term contract with the Town of Leesburg. Working with Volkert & Associates, Bowman Consulting will serve as engineer of record for various infrastructure projects throughout the City of Alexandria.
The Herndon Dulles Chamber of Commerce announces the full list of its 2006 Chamber Partners, businesses that provide substantial support beyond membership dues.
* At the top level (Platinum) are Cox Business Services, Hilton Washington Dulles Airport, Millennium Bank, Westfields Marriott.
* Gold Sponsors: Cascades Technologies, Inc., and TPI Group Inc.
* Silver Sponsors: Griffin-Owens & Associates, MainStreet Bank; Northwest Federal Credit Union, OMNIPLEX World Services Corporation and Resource Bank.
* Emerald Sponsors: Friendly Systems, Inc., Network Solutions and Potomac Bank of Virginia.
* Bronze Sponsors: First Financial Mortgage Service, LLC, and GraceFul Care Inc.;
* Media sponsors: The Connection Newspapers and The Observer Newspapers.
Visit the "About" page at www.HerndonDullesChamber.org or call 703-437-5556.