Know something that should be featured in Faith Notes? Send a brief write-up and photos to 7913 Westpark Drive, McLean, VA 22102, fax to 703-917-0991 or call Lea Mae Rice at 703-917-6459.
Fairfax United Methodist Church offers its Spring Music Festival closing recital Friday, June 2 at 8 p.m. in the sanctuary, 10300 Stratford Ave. in Fairfax. Hear an evening of vocal and keyboard music performed by David Leahey, director of music and Ian Lane, associate director of music. For more information, call 703-591-3120.
The Jubliee Christian Center offers a Healing Service on June 4 at 6:30 p.m. with Evangelist Peter Jourdy of Battlefield Ministries. 4650 Shirley Gate Road, Fairfax. Call 703-383-1170 for more information.
Lord of Life Lutheran Church will be hosting several summer camps at 5114 Twinbrook Road in Fairfax. Visit www.lordoflifelutheran.com or contact Christian Education Director Stacey Boyce at 703-323-9500 ext. 16.
* Art, Music and Theatre Camp is July 17-21, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. for kindergarten through sixth grade students. $50.
* Mystery Adventure Camp July 24-28 9 a.m.-2 p.m. for first through sixth grade students. $100.
* Vacation Bible School: On Treasure Island Aug. 7-11, 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. for 3-years-old through fourth grade students. $25.
* Mission Possible: Mission Camp Aug. 7-11, 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. for fifth and sixth grade students. $35.
The Rev. C. Douglas Smith, Executive Director for the Virginia Interfaith Center for Public Policy speaks on Sunday, June 11 from 4-5:30 p.m. on how the center works for those unable to speak for themselves and provide information on how to help at Accotink Unitarian Universalist Church, 1925 Lakehaven Court, Burke. Call Ron Brandt at 703-765-4779 for more information.
African-American, Jewish, and First Nation guest artists from Minnesota and Oklahoma perform on Wednesday, June 14 at 7:30 p.m. at Lord of Life Lutheran Church, 5114 Twinbrook Road, Fairfax. A free-will offering will benefit Hurricane Katrina rebuilding efforts. 703-323-9500.
St. Mary's Mother's Group has its annual "Kid's Stuff" sale Saturday, June 10 from 8:30 a.m.-1 p.m. at St. Mary's Catholic Church, 5222 Sideburn Road in Fairfax. Donations of gently used toys, infant and maternity items and clothing to size 14 until June 3. All proceeds go to support the nonprofit Mother's Group and its charity projects. For more information, call 703-298-4996.
First Church of Christ, Scientist in Fairfax sponsors a lecture on 'Curing the Incurable: The Power and Possibilities of Prayer' Saturday, June 10 from 2-3:30 p.m. at George Mason Regional Library, 7001 Little River Turnpike in Annandale. International speaker Maryl Walters, C.S.B., will present an interactive talk based on the spiritual laws explained in science and health. Parking available. Call 703-370-0029.
Sydenstricker United Methodist Church is accepting registration for its 2006 Vacation Bible School program, which runs July 24-28 from 9 a.m.-12 p.m. at the church, 8508 Hooes Road, Springfield. "Trading Places: Where Jesus Makes a World of Difference" is this yearís theme. Explore stories of Bible heroes and imagine trading places with children around the world. For more information, call the church office at 703-451-8223 or visit www.sumcdisciples.org.
St. Matthew's United Methodist Church offers the following events at 8617 Little River Turnpike, Annandale. Visit www.stmatthewsumc.org or call 703-978-3500.
* CrossRoads, a new ìcome as you areî worship service, will begin regular services each Saturday evening at 5 p.m.
* Rev. Linda Monroe will lead 'The Da Vinci Code Study' Tuesdays until June 13 at 7:30 p.m. Discuss the questions raised by the book and movie, as well as on the newly discovered ìGospel of Judasî and how the New Testament evolved. To register, call 703-978-3500. Childcare available.
The Messiah United Methodist Church sponsors the following events/services. The church is located at 6215 Rolling Road, Springfield. For more, call 703-569-9862.
* Sunday Services. Traditional Sunday morning worship services: 8:15 a.m., with Holy Communion every Sunday; 9:30 a.m. and 11 a.m., Holy Communion on the first Sunday; and Heartline, a contemporary praise and worship service, Sunday evenings at 7:15 p.m.
* Prayer at Messiah. Messiah offers the following prayer ministries: Sunday Morning Prayers, 7:15 a.m. in the Chapel; Tuesday Evening Prayer, 7:30 p.m. in the Chapel and Wednesday Prayer Group, 6 a.m. in the Chapel.
* Heartline. A contemporary praise and worship service Sunday evenings at 7:15 p.m.
* GriefShare. A support group for people grieving the death of someone close. Sundays from 2-3:30 p.m., for 13 weeks. For information contact Irene Rich, director of Congregational Care 703-569-9862, ext. 212.
* Blood Drive. Sunday, June 4. Appointments may be made by calling the church office at 703-569-9862.
* Hymn Festival. Come celebrate the Holy Spirit through music and word Sunday, June 4 at 4 p.m.
* Summer Blast Dance. Saturday, June 10, 7-9 p.m. in the Fellowship Hall. Dress is casual. 60's, 70's and 80's music by Crossroads. A $5 donation to the church accepted.
Jubilee Christian Center is offering free English classes as a second language during its Sunday School time, 10:10-10:50 a.m., on Sundays, at 4650 Shirley Gate Road, Fairfax. 703-383-1170.
The Shalem Institute is offering free monthly prayer opportunities in Fairfax. The time together will be devoted to relaxation, the presentation of different prayer practices, silence, journal keeping and small group sharing. No experience is required, and participants may attend regularly or drop in. Donations are accepted. Meetings take place the third Monday of the month, 7:30-9 p.m., at the Providence Presbyterian Church, 9019 Little River Turnpike, Fairfax. Ann Kulp, Kathy Spaar and Tad Wicker lead the meetings. To register for these events or for more information, visit www.shalem.org or call 301-897-7334.
Sydenstricker United Methodist Church, located at 8508 Hoes Road in Springfield, presents GriefShare each Thursday at 7 p.m. in the Agape House. It is a seminar and support group for people grieving the loss of someone close. Call Kathy at 703-451-9021.
The following is a list of various events taking place at Mount Calvary Baptist Church, 4325 Chain Bridge Road, Fairfax:
* Bible study and Prayer Service every Tuesday starting at 7 p.m.
* Sunday School at 9:30-10:45 a.m., except for the fourth Sunday of the month, when Sunday School is offered 9-10 a.m.
* Sunday morning service at 11 a.m.
* Commonwealth Care Center ministry every first and third Thursday night. Call 703-273-1455.
Fairfax Christian Church, located at 10185 Main St. in Fairfax, presents a class that explores traditional Christian spiritual practices of meditation and healing, on Sundays from 5:30-7 p.m. To register, call 703-385-3520 or e-mail email@example.com.
Clifton Presbyterian Church, located at 12748 Richards Lane in Clifton, offers Sunday worship services at 8:30 a.m. and 11 a.m. Call 703-830-3175.
St. Andrew the Apostle Catholic Church, located at 6720 Union Mill Road in Clifton, conducts Sunday masses at 7:30 a.m., 8:45 a.m., 10:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. It also offers a Saturday vigil at 5:30 p.m., and a Wednesday Latin mass at 7 p.m. Call 703-817-1770 or visit www.st-andrew.org.