Home Condemned After Fire

Home Condemned After Fire

A single family home at 403 Hume Avenue was so severely damaged by fire Monday afternoon, Nov. 13, that it was condemned by the fire marshal's office, according to the Alexandria Fire Department. Although there were no reported injuries, three residents were displaced and relocated by the Alexandria Chapter of the American red Cross.

First arriving units at 3:51 p.m. reported flames coming from the second floor windows. The fire was quickly knocked down but resulted in an estimated $100,000 damage, according to Jane Malik, department public information officer.

The cause was determined to be accidental. Numerous electrical cords and wiring were extending through the area of origin as well as the remains of a space heater. However, the exact source of the blaze could not be determined, according to the fire inspectors.