Know something that should be featured in Faith Notes? Send a brief write-up and photos to 7913 Westpark Drive, McLean, VA 22102, fax to 703-917-0991 or call Lea Mae Rice at 703-917-6459.
Fairfax Church of Christ presents a series, “Raising G-Rated Kids in an X-Rated World” Sundays until Dec. 10 at the church, 3901 Rugby Road, Fairfax. The series, given by pulpit minister Bruce Black, is part of the 9 a.m. worship service. For more call 703-631-2100.
The First Church of Christ, Scientist of Springfield offers a Thanksgiving Service Thursday, Nov. 23 at 10:30 a.m. at the church, 5315 Backlick Road, Springfield. For more, call 703-941-7540.
First Church of Christ, Scientist of Fairfax has a Thanksgiving Day service Thursday, Nov. 23 at 11 a.m. at the church, 3725 Old Lee Highway, Fairfax. 703-356-1265.
New World Unity Church, at its new location at The Cary Building, 8136 Old Keene Mill Road, A-209 in Springfield, offers the following events and services. Call 703-913-8560 or visit www.NewWorldUnity.org for more.
* Sunday celebration service with music, meditation and a message every Sunday at 10:30 a.m. World Peace Meditation begins at 10:15 a.m. while youth and family ministry, serving infants to teens, provides age-appropriate lessons and activities during the children’s Sunday celebration at 10:30 a.m. The Metaphysical Bookstore is also available on Sundays.
* Men of Spirit, the community’s men’s group, enjoys fellowship and discussion on Sundays from 9-9:45 a.m.
* The first Sunday of each month, the 7 p.m. prayer service features a different, interactive form of prayer.
* SpiritSong, a vocal ensemble, meets Mondays for song and fellowship at 7:30 p.m. Auditions not necessary.
* “Discovering Your/Our Spiritual Gifts” is an exploration and experiment unfolding the ideas around spiritual gifts on Wednesday evenings at 7:30 p.m. Guided meditation begins at 7 p.m.
* On Sunday, Nov. 26, singer-songwriter Dwain Briggs is guest musician at the Sunday Celebration with a concert at 1:30 p.m. following a "Thanksgiving Leftover Potluck." Visit www.dwainbriggs.com.
Truro Church Undercroft has a Christian school fair Nov. 29 from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. at the church, 10520 Main St., Fairfax. Over 12 area Christian schools showcase their schools. For more information contact Carey Lansing at 703-691-1006.
Woodlawn Chapel Gospel Service offers a two-night Fall Revival Nov. 30-Dec. 1 at 7:30 p.m. at the chapel, 1801 Wright Road, Fort Belvoir. Features guest speaker Dr. F. Bruce Williams. For more, contact Jacqué Jones, Gospel Parish Coordinator, at 703-806-5904 orj firstname.lastname@example.org.
Abiding Presence Lutheran Church offers a World AIDS Day concert Friday, Dec. 1 at 7 p.m. at the church, 6304 Lee Chapel Road, Burke. Features musicians from Abiding Presence, Peace Lutheran and Times Square Church. Free. Nursery provided. Sponsored by 25:40. Visit www.2540.org for more.
St. John's United Methodist Church has its Big Dollar Day Yard Sale Saturday, Dec. 2 from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at 5312 Backlick Road, Springfield. All proceeds go to missions. For more information call 703-256-6655.
The Messiah United Methodist Church sponsors the following events. The church is located at 6215 Rolling Road, Springfield. For more, call 703-569-9862.
* Concert. Messiah's 16th Annual Concert of Handel's Messiah is Sunday, Dec. 3 at 3 p.m. The Messiah Festival Choir, professional soloists, and orchestra under the direction of Roger G. Miller will present the Christmas portion of this beloved work. Free, donations accepted. Childcare available. Come and be musically inspired to remember the true meaning of Christmas.
* Annual Singles Ministry Holly Ball is Saturday, Dec. 16, 8 p.m.-12 a.m. Black tie optional. Dance lessons 8 p.m., dance 8:30 p.m. $5 with a finger food, $10 without. Proceeds benefit Pass Christian Mission. Childcare available with an RSVP by Dec. 13 to Rev. Debbie Fambro at 703-569-9862, ext 213 or email@example.com.
* Christmas Comfort Service is Thursday, Dec. 21 at 5 p.m. For many people, the approaching Christmas holiday does not bring with it the same joy and happiness advertised on television or greeting cards. The service is a time of music, scripture, stories, silence, reflection, healing prayer and communion.
Pohick Church offers a children's Christmas pageant Sunday, Dec. 10 at 4 p.m. at the church, 9301 Richmond Highway, Lorton. Call 703-339-6572 for more.
The Northern Virginia Chorale, under the artistic direction of Robert S. Webb Jr., presents “O Clap Your Hands!” by R. Vaughan Williams on Saturday, Dec. 2, 8 p.m., at St. Mark’s Lutheran Church, 5800 Backlick Road, Springfield. Features McCullough’s “Canite Tuba: A Christmas Triptych” and Gabrieli’s “In Ecclesiis.” $15/advance, $20/door, $10/students. Call 703-239-2180 or visit www.northernvirginiachorale.org for more.
The Church of Nativity Craft Group has its annual bazaar Saturday, Dec. 2 and Sunday, Dec. 3 from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. at the church, 6400 Nativity Lane, Burke. Handcrafted items, knitted baby and children's sweaters, hats and scarves as well as Christmas items. Baked goods also available. All proceeds go to local charities. 703-455-6832.
Dr. Teresa Smith, a United Methodist Minister, leads a mini-retreat Dec. 7 from 10 a.m.–2 p.m. and Dec. 9 from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. in Burke. Titled “Do the Holidays Make You Feel Blue?,” the retreat is designed to help relax, and reflect, and formulate a plan for how to make it through the holidays. Eight participants maximum. $50. Scholarship aid available. For location and more e-mail Teresa@sodigital.org or call 571-236-9753.
The Ministry of Music and Performing Arts of the Greater Little Zion Baptist Church presents "Amazing Peace: A Christmas Musical" Saturday, Dec. 9 at 6 p.m. in the church, 10185 Zion Drive, Fairfax. Performed by the Greater Little Zion Combined Choirs, Thespian Society and Praise Dancers. Free. Contact Stacey Claytor, artistic director, at 703-764-9111.
Choirs, organs, strings perform Saturday, Dec. 9 at a carol festival, 4:30 p.m. at St. John's Lutheran Church, 5952 Franconia Road, Alexandria. Call 703-971-2210 for more.
Temple B'nai Shalom has its monthly Tot Shabbat Service on Saturday Dec. 16 at 10 a.m. The theme for this service will be "Chanukah." This service is geared for all children from infants through age 6. The temple is located at 7612 Old Ox Road in Fairfax Station. Call 703-764-2901 with questions.
Celebrate the Festival of Lights with dinner Saturday, Dec. 16 at 6:30 p.m. at Congregation Adat Reyim, 6500 Westbury Oaks Court, Springfield. The Adat Reyim Choir sings at a service beginning 8 p.m. For more, call 703-569-7577. A Chanukah service is Sunday, Dec. 17 at 3 p.m. at the synagogue. For more, call 703-569-7577.
Providence Presbyterian Church offers a Bible study titled "Pausing on the Road to Bethlehem: A Spiritual Journey through Advent" at the church, 9019 Little River Turnpike, Fairfax. The study runs Thursdays, Nov. 30 through Dec. 21, 10:30 a.m.-12 p.m. Free. The five sessions utilize music, art, poetry, and a variety of interactive activities centered on biblical passages that connect to Advent. Contact