Send announcements to The Loudoun Connection, 7913 Westpark Drive, McLean, VA 22102, e-mail to email@example.com or fax to 703-917-0991. Deadline is Friday, two weeks before the event. Photos/artwork encouraged. For more information, call Jennifer Lesinski at 703-917-6454.
This free listing is reserved for activities and events that are open to the public at no or minimal cost.
The Sully Elementary's Discovery Park breakfast with the builders program continues every Saturday in September. The official build begin Oct. 16, however, some prebuilding has begun. Breakfast with the builders will take place Sept. 30, in front of Sully Elementary School, from 8 a.m.-12 p.m. Everyone is welcome to come and help. Bring your power tools if you have them.
Free breakfast to anyone who drops by either to help to just to learn more about Discovery Park. Children, and adults, will have an opportunity to paint a tile that will be part of Discovery Park. Visit www.sullypto.com.
George Washington University is holding a graduate program open house Sept. 27, at George Washington University Virginia Campus, 20101 Academic Way, Ashburn, 4-8 p.m. Free and open to the public. Refreshments will be served. Call 703-726-3650.
Wednesday, Sept. 27, from 4-10 p.m., Broadlands Brick Oven Pizzeria, 42882 Truro Parish Drive, will donate portion of the night's sales to benefit Eagle Ridge Middle School, and prizes will be awarded. Call the pizzeria, 703-858-9199.
On Friday, Sept. 29, a golf ball drop to benefit the Dominion High School football program and ATLAS (Association of Titan Leaders Assisting Students) will take place following the football game against Wakefield High School, approximately 10 p.m.
Up to 10,000 number-marked golf balls will be dropped from a hot-air balloon above a putting green at midfield. The owner of the ball that lands in the hole, or comes closest, will win the $10,000 grand prize. Five other balls will be chosen at random to receive second prizes of $100 each.
Entries are $50 and may be obtained from Dominion football players or by contacting coach Mike Dougherty at 703-728-8393 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Entrants need not be present to claim the grand prize but must be in attendance for consolation prizes. In the event that multiple balls enter the hole, the jackpot will be divided evenly.
Broad Run High School's Project Graduation committee is selling White House Christmas ornaments to support the drug- and alcohol-free party for graduating seniors of the 2006-2007 school year.
The cost is $20 each for one ornament, $18 each for five to nine ornaments, and $16 each for 10 or more ornaments. Contact Carol Peters at 703-450-2344 or email@example.com.
Tuesday, Oct. 3, at 6:30 p.m., the Eagle Ridge Middle School and Briar Woods High School staff will face off in a basketball game at Briar Woods, 22525 Belmont Ridge Road, Ashburn. Proceeds benefit the schools.
Sully Elementary School Principal Clark Bowers will spend the night on the roof of the school if 750 volunteers are signed up to help construct the Discovery Park educational playground at the school by the end of the Parent vs. Teachers soccer game, Oct. 4. at 6:30 p.m. Discovery Park will need lots of volunteers to help build it during the week of Oct. 16.
The Park View High School class of 1991's 15-year reunion will be held during Park View's Homecoming weekend, Oct. 13-15. On Friday, Oct. 13, alumni will enjoy the Homecoming football game and will meet up at Bungalow Billiards in Cascades after the game. On Saturday, Oct. 14, alumni will have a semi-private gathering on the patio at Champps Americana in Reston. Visit PVHS1991.com.
The school system has scheduled community input meetings to establish attendance boundaries for several schools. For more information about the schools potentially impacted by the changes, upcoming meetings or how to submit written comments visit www.loudoun.k12.va.us; contact the Department of Planning and Legislative Services by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 571-252-1050.
* Arcola Elementary School in the Stone Ridge subdivision, Aldie: Monday, Oct. 16, 6:30 p.m., at Pinebrook Elementary, 25480 Mindful Court, Aldie; Thursday, Oct. 26, 6:30 p.m., at Aldie Elementary, 23269 Meetinghouse Lane, Aldie.
* Creighton's Corner Elementary School in the Brambleton subdivision, Ashburn: Tuesday, Oct. 17, 6:30 p.m., at Legacy Elementary, 22995 Minerva Drive, Ashburn; Monday, Oct. 23, 6:30 p.m., at Mill Run Elementary, 42905 Waxpool Road, Ashburn.
* Rosa Lee Carter Elementary School in the Loudoun Valley Estates II subdivision, Ashburn: Tuesday, Oct. 17, 6:30 p.m., at Legacy Elementary, 22995 Minerva Drive, Ashburn; Monday, Oct. 23, 6:30 p.m., at Mill Run Elementary, 42905 Waxpool Road, Ashburn.
* Forest Grove/Rolling Ridge elementary schools, Sterling: Wednesday, Feb. 7, 6:30 p.m., at Rolling Ridge Elementary, 500 E. Frederick Drive, Sterling; Thursday, Feb. 22, 6:30 p.m. at Forest Grove Elementary, 46245 Forest Grove Drive, Sterling.
* Middle school to be named, (MS-5), in the Dulles area: Tuesday, Feb. 6, 6:30 p.m., at Mercer Middle, 42149 Greenstone Drive, Aldie; Wednesday, Feb. 21, 6:30 p.m., at Freedom High, 25450 Riding Center Drive, South Riding.
On Oct. 17, from 10-11 a.m., the public is invited to attend a presentation by the Tidewater Chapter of The Tuskegee Airmen at Mill Run Elementary, 42905 Waxpool Road, Ashburn. Free. Call the school, 703-779-8927.
The community is invited Oct. 20, from 6-8:30 p.m., to visit Mill Run Elementary, 42905 Waxpool Road, Ashburn, for the International Family Festival. There will be food and entertainment from across the globe. Call the school, 703-779-8927.