Send announcements, which are open to the public at no or minimal cost, to The Loudoun Connection, 7913 Westpark Drive, McLean, VA 22102, e-mailnes of Pohick Bay Regional Park.com or fax to 703-917-0991. Deadline is Friday, two weeks before the event. Photos/artwork encouraged. For more information, call Matthew Razak at 703-917-6457. For additional listings, visit www.connectionnewspapers.com.
Youth Outreach Programs with the Loudoun County Department of Parks, Recreation and Community Services is seeking volunteers for the "Peace in the Streets" 5K Run, Saturday, April 14, at 8:30 a.m., in Sterling Park. Volunteers are needed for water and food stations, the finish line, flagging, and event set up and tear down. Families are encouraged to volunteer together. Training will be provided. Interested groups and individuals should forward an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 571-258-3195.
Loudoun Wildlife Conservancy. Join other individuals seeking to preserve and protect Loudoun's natural resources. LWC is always seeking new board members, committee chairs and volunteers. Current openings on the board include an environmental monitoring chairperson and a conservation advocacy chairperson. Upcoming events which require volunteers include Arbor Day at Banshee Reeks, April 14; the Leesburg Flower and Garden Festival in downtown Leesburg, April 21-22; and Wings Over Loudoun at Claude Moore Park, May 12. Contact volunteer coordinator, Lynn Webster, at email@example.com, or register to volunteer online at www.loudounwildlife.org. To volunteer at upcoming events, contact the public outreach coordinator, Bertie Murphy, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AARP Tax-Aide, a free, volunteer-run tax counseling and preparation service, is seeking volunteers to electronically complete and file 2006 federal and state income tax forms, through April 15. Volunteers of all ages and backgrounds are welcome but ability to use a computer is a must. Evening and Saturday shifts are available. Tax counselors receive free tax training and become IRS certified by passing the IRS examination. Call Patty Callahan, 703-207-0056 or via e-mail email@example.com or call toll-free 1-888-AARPNOW (1-888-227-7669) or visit www.aarp.org/taxaide.
There are vacancies for representatives on the following county and regional advisory boards, commissions and committees.
* Building Code & Appeals Board: One at-large representative
* Commission on Women: Dulles and Sterling districts
* Community Action Agency Advisory Board: One at-large general representative; three at-large, low-income representatives
* Community Services Board: At-large representatives
* Commuter Bus Advisory Board: At large and Potomac district
* Disability Services Board: At-large business representatives or representatives who have a disability or who have a family member with a disability
* Equal Employment Opportunity Plan Committee: At-large representatives
* Historic District Review Committee: At-large representative
* Housing Advisory Board: One at-large public representative; one nonprofit and/or faith-based service provider; one for-profit affordable housing developer
* Library Board of Trustees: At large, Potomac District
* Open Space Advisory Committee: Sugarland Run District
* Social Services Board: One at-large representative
* Transportation Safety Commission: Dulles and Sugarland Run districts
* Woods Road Special Exception Oversight Committee: At-large representatives
For information about specific vacancies, contact Cherie Giles, Board of Supervisors, 703-771-5034 or by e-mail at Cherie.Giles@loudoun.gov. Information about each board, committee and commission is available on the Loudoun County Government Web site at www.loudoun.gov/advisory.
The Loudoun County Electoral Board will need election officers for the primary election Tuesday, June 12 and the general election, Tuesday, Nov. 6. Information, including registration forms, are online on the Loudoun County Government Web site at www.loudoun.gov/government/officers.htm.
More than 100 young musicians from nearly a dozen different countries will converge in Leesburg, from June 30-July 5, to participate in the fourth annual International Gathering of Youth Orchestras. Sixty volunteer local families are needed to host the visiting young musicians. Visit www.ymppa.org, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703-728-2589.
Loudoun Volunteer Services' (LVS) volunteer-match Web site is aimed at both volunteers, who are seeking to find opportunities best suited for their particular interest or skill, and organizations seeking a way to publicly advertise their volunteer opportunities. To register for this free service, visit www.loudoun.gov/pio/volunteer.htm and click on "register your organization's volunteer opportunities," or to volunteer click on "looking for volunteer opportunities." Contact Lisa Rose at 703-777-0113.
The Wingler House lunch program is looking for volunteers to serve a hot, nutritious meal and the gift of friendship to older adults at the Ashburn senior living facility. E-mail email@example.com or call Debra Bressler at 703-777-0257.