Send announcements to the Alexandria Gazette Packet, by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline is Friday at noon for the following week’s paper. Photos are encouraged. Call Rebecca Halik at 703-917-6407 with questions.
The school nurses of Alexandria City Public Schools are sponsoring a student health and immunization fair on Wednesday, Aug. 29, at Polk Elementary School, 5000 Polk Ave., from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. The event is free and open to ACPS students in grades K-5 who need physical exams, lab tests and/or immunizations in order to meet school entry requirements. Information for families on general health care and guidance in how to apply to health insurance programs will also be available. All students should be accompanied by a parent or guardian and bring copies of their immunization records, health histories and allergy information. Families should pre-register by calling 703-321-1990.
George Washington Middle School invites rising sixth-graders and their parents to an orientation and ice cream social on Thursday, Aug. 30, beginning at 7 p.m. in the auditorium. Students will learn about schedules, classes and Prexie Pride. Call 703-706-4500 for details.
Alexandria City Public Schools' upcoming back-to-school nights will provide parents with opportunities to learn about their children's classes and meet their teachers. Back-to-school nights for the 2007-08 school year are scheduled as follows:
* Thursday, Aug. 30, 7 p.m. -- Francis C. Hammond Middle School (sixth grade), 4646 Seminary Road, 703-461-4100.
* Monday, Sept. 10, 6:30 p.m. – Maury Elementary School, 600 Russell Road, 703-706-4440.
* Tuesday, Sept. 11, 7 p.m. -- Minnie Howard School, 3801 West Braddock Road, 703-824-6750.
* Tuesday, Sept. 18, 7 p.m. -- George Washington Middle School (grades six through eight), 1005 Mount Vernon Ave., 703-706-4500. 7 p.m. -- Francis Hammond (grades seven through eight).
* Wednesday, Sept. 19, 7 p.m. -- T.C. Williams High School, 3330 King St., 703-824-6800.
* Monday, Sept. 24, 7 p.m. -- Douglas MacArthur Elementary School, 1101 Janneys Lane, 703-461-4190.
* Tuesday, Sept. 25, 6:30 p.m. – William Ramsay Elementary School (kindergarten through second grade), 5700 Sanger Ave., 703-824-6950. 7 p.m. -- John Adams Elementary School, 5651 Rayburn Ave., 703-824-6970. 7 p.m. -- Cora Kelly School for Math, Science and Technology, 3600 Commonwealth Ave., 703-706-4420. 7 p.m. -- Charles Barrett Elementary School, 1115 Martha Custis Dr., 703-824-6960. 7 p.m. -- Jefferson-Houston School for Arts and Academics, 1501 Cameron St.,703-706-4400. 7 p.m. -- Patrick Henry Elementary School, 4643 Taney Ave., 703-461-4170.
* Wednesday, Sept. 26, 6:30 p.m. – Lyles-Crouch Traditional Academy, 530 S. St. Asaph St., 703-706-4430. 7 p.m. – George Mason Elementary School, 2601 Cameron Mills Road, 703-706-4470. 7 p.m. – James K. Polk Elementary School, 5000 Polk Ave., 703-461-4180.
* Thursday, Sept. 27, 6:30 p.m. – William Ramsay (grades three through five).
The new T.C. Williams High School, received a Green Innovation Award in the Best Institutional Project category during the Virginia Sustainable Building Network's recent annual meeting. Environmentally sound features include a 450,000-gallon underground cistern to collect and store rainwater for use in toilet flushing, air-conditioning operations and irrigation; a rooftop garden to provide stormwater management; waterless urinals to reduce the amount of water used inside the building; and a permanent measurement and verification system to track water and energy usage at the facility.
Minnie Howard School will hold "Hello High School," a freshman orientation program for its incoming students, from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 23, in the school auditorium, 3801 West Braddock Road, Alexandria.Lunch will be provided. Highlights include team-building activities and scavenger hunts. Students also will hear from several ninth-grade teachers, counselors and administrators. School bus transportation will be available. The bus schedule is posted on the Alexandria City Public Schools Web site at http://www.acps.k12.va.us/news2008/nr2007072701.php. For more information, contact the school at 703-824-6750.
Alumni from TC Williams High School Class of 1998 are participating in a Class Reunion Web site at http://classreport.org/usa/va/alexandria/tcwhs/1998. There are no registration fees required to join. Each class member has full participation privileges. Other alumni classes from TC Williams High School can be accessed at http://classreport.org/usa/va/alexandria/tcwhs/.