Know something that should be featured in Faith Notes? Send a brief write-up and photos to 7913 Westpark Drive, McLean, VA 22102, fax to 703-917-0991 or call Lea Mae Rice at 703-917-6459.
Springfield Christian Church is having a yard sale Saturday, June 9 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the church, 5407 Backlick Road, Springfield, to raise money for its youth trip this summer. Furniture, clothing, household items, electronics and other items will be for sale. Food also available. 703-354-4778.
Temple B'nai Shalom offers several events. The temple is located at 7612 Old Ox Road in Fairfax Station. Call 703-764-2901 with questions.
* Monthly Tot Shabbat Service. Saturday, June 9 at 10 a.m. Geared for infants through age 6.
* Luray Tour. Temple B'nai Shalom Active Retirees and Friends have a guided tour of Luray Caverns, lunch at The Victorian Inn, and tour and tasting at Sharp Rock Vineyards Wednesday June 13 from 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Full package: $35/members JCCNV or synagogue and $38/nonmembers. Without cavern tour: $20/members JCCNV or synagogue and $23/nonmembers. Winery only: $2. RSVP to Michele 703-764-0288 or email@example.com.
Ekoji Buddhist Temple presents "Buddhism 101," a series of five free Dharma School classes for adults, through Sunday, June 10 at 10 a.m. at Ekoji Buddhist Temple Tsuji Education Center, 6500 Lake Haven Lane, Fairfax Station. Free, no registration required. Visit www.Ekoji.org or call Mark LaWall at 703-239-0500 for more information.
This summer the Little River United Church of Christ in Annandale will be praying for peace at a monthly Taize-style service beginning Tuesday, June 10 at 6:30 p.m. at the church, 8410 Little River Turnpike, Annandale. Taize is an international, ecumenical community in France founded by Brother Roger. Services also offered the second Sunday of July and August. 703 978-3060, www.lrucc.org.
Church of the Apostles conducts a Spring 2007 ALPHA Course ending June 12 at 7 p.m. at the church, 3500 Pickett Road, Fairfax. The 10-week program explores the validity of the Christian faith in life today with a meal, talk and small group discussion. Call 703-591-1974, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.churchoftheapostles.org.
The St. Mary Mother's Group hosts its annual Kids' Stuff Sale Saturday, June 16 from 8:30 a.m.-1 p.m. at St. Mary of Sorrows Catholic Church, 5222 Sideburn Road, Fairfax. Half price after 1 p.m. Pants, shorts, shirts $1; dresses and overalls $2. Donate used items June 9-June 15. For more contact Lisa Murphy at 703-385-9506.
Super Saturday presents "Rock Solid" Saturday, June 16 from 9:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. at Springfield Church of Christ, 7512 Old Keene Mill Road, Springfield. For children 4- to 12-years-old, the event offers Bible-based activities that focus on building lives around Jesus. To pre-register, call 703-451-4011 and leave a message with the number of children planning to attend, names and ages. Or e-mail email@example.com.
Silverbrook United Methodist Church Book Club discusses "The Faith Club: A Muslim, A Christian, A Jew: Three Women Search for Understanding" by Ranya Idiby, Suzanne Oliver and Priscilla Warner Monday, June 18 at 7 p.m. at Silverbrook United Methodist Church, 8616 Silverbrook Road, Lorton. Bring a copy of the book. For more call 703-690-4159.
The Children's Ministry at Jubilee Christian Center hosts a "Fun Fest Day Camp" for children in kindergarten through 6th grade at the church, June 25-29 from 12:30-3:30 p.m. each day. Family Nite is Wednesday, June 27 at 7:15 p.m. The Camp includes Gospel illusions, clowns, jugglers, games, activities, and a movie, with special guests Ned and Joan Way of "No Way" Ministry from Louisville, Ky. And more. Jubilee Christian Center is located at 4650 Shirley Gate Road, Fairfax. $25. Pre-register by June 22. Call 703-383-1170 to register or visit www.jccag.org.
The Messiah United Methodist Church offers the following events and services. The church is located at 6215 Rolling Road, Springfield. For more, call 703-569-9862.
* Vacation Bible School. July 23-27, 9 a.m.-12 p.m. For children ages 4 through rising sixth graders. This year’s sixth graders, youth and adults needed as helpers.
* Noah’s Ark Camp. July 12-13, 9 a.m.-12 p.m. For children ages 3-6. Youth and adults needed as helpers. Registration for both camps is Sunday, June 3. Contact Robin Ringler at 703-569-9862 ext. 210, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Heartline is a contemporary praise and worship service Sunday evenings at 7 p.m.
* Sunday worship times are 8:15 a.m. with Holy Communion every Sunday, and 9:30 a.m. and 11 a.m. with Holy Communion on the first Sunday of the month.
* Young Adult Bible Study is Mondays, 7-8:30 p.m. in the Youth Center. Join young adults in their 20s and 30s for a Bible study based on the "Lost" television series.
* The Child Enrichment Program has openings in 2-year-old classes for the 2007-08 school year. Call Betsy Findley at 703-569-3033 for more.
* Men’s Breakfast. Messiah United Methodist Men host their monthly breakfast Saturday, June 9 at 8 a.m. in honor of Father’s Day. All fathers, grandfathers, daughters, granddaughters, sons and grandsons are invited to see a video presentation by Denver Bronco Steve Fitzhugh.
St. Matthews United Methodist Church offers a Vacation Bible School: Soaring to New Heights with God, July 16-20 from 9 a.m.-12 p.m. at 8617 Little River Turnpike, Annandale. Children ages 4 through sixth grade will learn about the sport of hot-air ballooning as well as participate in Stop Hunger Now, a relief mission to feed starving people overseas. 703-978-3500.
The Shalem Institute is offering free monthly prayer opportunities in Fairfax. The time together will be devoted to relaxation, the presentation of different prayer practices, silence, journal keeping and small group sharing. No experience is required and participants may attend regularly or drop in. Donations are accepted. Meetings take place the third Monday of the month from 7:30-9 p.m. at the Providence Presbyterian Church, 9019 Little River Turnpike, Fairfax. Ann Kulp, Kathy Spaar and Tad Wicker lead the meetings. To register for these events or for more information, visit www.shalem.org or call 301-897-7334.
The following is a list of various events taking place at Mount Calvary Baptist Church, 4325 Chain Bridge Road, Fairfax:
* Bible study and Prayer Service every Tuesday starting at 7 p.m.
* Sunday School at 9:30-10:45 a.m., except for the fourth Sunday of the month, when Sunday School is offered 9-10 a.m.
* Sunday morning service at 11 a.m.
* Commonwealth Care Center ministry every first and third Thursday night. Call 703-273-1455.
Beth El Hebrew Congregation has services at on Fridays, at 8:15 p.m. and Saturdays, at 10:30 a.m., at 3830 Seminary Road, Alexandria. Religious school is on Wednesday evenings and Sunday mornings. Adult learning opportunities take place throughout the year. Tot Shabbat is on the first and third Saturdays of the month at 11 a.m. Kolot Shabbat, a musical service, is the first Friday of every month at 7:30 p.m. For more, call 703-370-9400 or visit www.bethelhebrew.org.
International Calvary Church is a Christ, Bible and Spirit- centered church. Sunday services are as follows: English services at 9:45 a.m., Korean services at 11:30 a.m. and youth services at 11:30 a.m. Sunday School is as follows: English classes at 11:30 a.m. and children's classes at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday Bible study and Youth Meeting are at 8 p.m. and Friday Prayer and Youth Meeting take place at 8:30 p.m. For more information, call 703-569-1918. The International Calvary Church is located at 5700 Hanover Ave., Springfield.
RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults) is for people who are interested in becoming Catholic or learning about the Catholic Church. A group will be meeting on Wednesdays, at 7:30 p.m., at St. Leo the Great Church, 3704 Old Lee Highway, Fairfax in the Old Parish Hall and will continue to meet throughout the school year. Call Martha Malloy at 703-273-5369.
Jubilee Christian Center is offering free English classes as a second language during its Sunday School time, 10:10-10:50 a.m. on Sundays at 4650 Shirley Gate Road, Fairfax. 703-383-1170.
St. Leo the Great in Fairfax hosts "Night of Praise" the first Saturday of each month, featuring praise music and Eucharist adoration at 7 p.m. Located at 3704 Old Lee Highway in Fairfax.