More than a dozen occupants of a four story condominium at 6513 Grange Lane in the Kingstowne area were displaced early Monday morning by fire and water that damaged to their 14 unit building. Arriving just prior to 1 a.m. Fairfax County Fire & Rescue Department units brought the blaze under control in approximately one hour, according to a departmental spokesperson.
Upon arrival at the scene firefighters saw "heavy fire and smoke coming from the roof and sides" of the building. The incident Commander called in a second and third alarm, bringing over 90 emergency personnel to the scene, according to the Department's Public Information Office.
Although no injuries were reported, the American Red Cross is assisting displaced residents. Damage was estimated at $2.5 million.
According to fire investigators, "The fire was accidental. Improper disposal of smoking materials in a wooden planter on a balcony caused the fire."