* Friday Night Live! Friday, May 25, 6:30-10:30 p.m. Herndon Chamber of Commerce brings to the community a free, live, outdoor rock concert in downtown Herndon (behind Municipal Center, Lynn St.) every Friday evening, weather permitting, from May through August. Listen to Reggae group Black Sheep. Presented by the Chamber's Friday Night Live Committee, Title Sponsor Cox Business Services. For directions, visit www.HerndonRocks.com.
BNI Northern Virginia is hosting a "Coffee, Tea, You & Me" networking session on Friday, May 25, from 3-5 p.m. at the IHOP in Centreville. This week's special topic is "Creating Profitable 1-on-1's With Your Team!" Use one-on-ones for real business growth opportunities. The Centreville IHOP is at 13810 Braddock Road, Centreville. Call 703-201-4267.
Oberon Associates Inc. announced that Centreville resident Sandra Corbett, vice president, Human Resources has been named a finalist for the 2007 HR Leadership Award of Greater Washington. The award honors HR executives for outstanding contributions to their organizations and to the field of human resources management. Winners in six categories will be announced during the seventh annual awards ceremony at the Crystal City Gateway Marriott on Tuesday, June 5.
Corbett oversees Oberon’s efforts in talent acquisition, retention and organizational development. She has more than 13 years of experience in the Defense Engineering Services Industry. She graduated from Chantilly High School in 1991 as well as West Virginia University in 1995 with a degree in Political Science with a minor in Japanese and International Relations. She resides in Northern Virginia with her husband and three children.
The principals of Thompson, Greenspon & Co., P.C. announce that Charles F. (Chip) Helme III, CPA, has been elected managing principal of the firm effective May 1, a position that Thomas E. Cox has held for the past 12 years. Helme joined the firm in 1986, after graduating with a B.S. in Accounting from George Mason University. In addition to assuming the role of managing principal, Helme will continue working with clients, primarily in the construction and nonprofit industries.
Congratulations to Anna Lenox of Centreville who received "The Mortar Board" Award for her commitment to continuing education at the Fairfax Court Appointed Special Advocates’ (CASA) annual Volunteer Appreciation Dinner on April 26. Fairfax CASA recruits and trains volunteers to advocate for the best interests of abused and neglected children in Fairfax County. To learn more about Fairfax CASA or to apply to be a volunteer, visit www.casafairfax.org.
* Herndon Festival Business EXPO. The Herndon Chamber of Commerce invites everyone to see what products and services are hot at the annual Business EXPO located on Pine Street in downtown Herndon during the weekend of Herndon Festival. Business Expo is open from 10-5 p.m., Saturday, June 2 and from 11-5 p.m. on Sunday, June 3. Exhibitors: To display your products and services at the Chamber's Business Expo, call 571-323-5304 or download the application from www.DullesRegionalChamber.org. Full information for the multi-day Herndon Festival, which begins the evening of Thursday, May 31, can be found at http://www.herndon-va.gov/festival/.
The Credit Union Executive Society (CUES) has bestowed a prominent industry honor upon Apple Federal Credit Union. In ceremonies taking place Wednesday, April 25, Apple’s Web site, www.applefcu.org was recognized with a merit Golden Mirror Award for achievement in Web site Marketing.
The Dulles Regional Chamber of Commerce and the Northern Virginia Community Foundation are seeking applicants for the Business and Technology Scholarship. This scholarship was established to provide business and technology merit scholarships to strengthen the area's workforce readiness supply. Students can obtain applications at these schools:
* Centreville High School, 703-802-5400;
* Chantilly Academy, 703-222-7460;
* Chantilly High School, 703-222-8100;
* Mountain View School, 703-227-2316;
* Westfield High School, 703-488-6300.
The application forms are available now and are due back by May 21. E-mail to email@example.com.
* Festival Golf Tournament. Thursday, May 31, 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Herndon Centennial Golf Course, Ferndale Ave. The Herndon Chamber of Commerce and Hilton Washington Dulles Airport present the 20th annual Festival Golf Tournament. Registration, lunch and putting range from 11 a.m.-12:15 p.m.; shotgun at 12:30 p.m. Day includes beverages on the course, gifts, dinner, prizes, raffle drawings, casual networking and fun. Sponsors to date: Hilton, Eggspectation, Griffin-Owens, TML Copiers and Digital Solutions, and The Observer Newspapers. $150/individual; $600/foursome. Sign up via www.dullesregionalchamber.org, by email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or by phone: 571-323-5304.
* Herndon Festival Business EXPO. The Herndon Chamber of Commerce invites everyone to see what products and services are hot at the annual Business EXPO located on Pine Street in downtown Herndon during the weekend of Herndon Festival. Business Expo is open from 10-5 p.m., Saturday, June 2 and from 11-5 p.m. on Sunday, June 3. Exhibitors: To display your products and services at the Chamber's Business Expo, call 571-323-5304 or download the application from www.DullesRegionalChamber.org.
The Centreville Rotary Club has moved its meeting location from the I-Hop in Centreville to the EggsSpectations Restaurant in Chantilly. The Rotary Club meets Tuesdays from 11:30-12:30 p.m. for lunch. There is a new guest speaker every week with topics ranging from estate planning to how the Rotary helps during emergencies. Contact Gregg Caldwell at email@example.com.
The Clifton Business Connection chapter of BNI invites area business professionals to visit their weekly networking meeting held every Wednesday at 11 a.m. at Heart in Hand Restaurant in Clifton. Visit www.bninova.com.