Born 1920, Jeffery O. Wellborn helped shape Reston and its people throughout his career. He opened the first independent real estate brokerage in Reston, in 1966, using the space occupied by the Reston Sales Office who controlled all marketing with no attention to re-sales until that time. He also accepted an appointment to the School Board, as well as offering kind counsel and encouragement especially to potential entrepreneurs.
As a community activist, he was one of the founding board members of the Reston Community Association (RCA) and supported many other community activities.
He selected a prime lot on Lake Anne to build the largest single-family detached home built-to-that-date in Reston. This lot adjoined a parcel of land known as Parcel D (a passage-way for non-lake residents). This lot reportedly had been selected for Robert Simon because of its lake shoreline and vistas. Every functional room in the residence had lake views. He met with another Reston activist, Patrick Kane, to suggest a purchase for the house to ensure its continued community-based use. Shortly after he left, he requested that Kane join himself, and then Supervisor Martha Pennino, using the home to co-sponsor a fund-raiser for Lt. Gov. Charles Robb.
His next project was the construction of the Lake Anne Office Building and partnered with Reston architects Davis and Carter. This building’s "lake windows" were built in parallel to the windows on his lake house resulting in his persuading Kane to rent space in this building.
His other project was the development of an innovative form of housing used at Mediterranean Villa. His real-estate office became a starting point in training for many area brokers, many of whom are still active in the marketing of Reston property. Wellborn properties’ "For-Sale" signs became an integral part of the Reston landscape for many years.
He died Jan. 11, 2008. Plans are being prepared for a memorial service at some future date.