E-mail announcements to email@example.com. Deadline is Thursday at noon for the following week’s paper. Photos and artwork encouraged. Call Rebecca Halik at 703-917-6407 with questions.
Holy Thursday Service with Communion at Washington Street United Methodist Church, 115 S. Washington St., on March 20, 7:30 p.m. Nursery will be provided. Enjoy an Easter Sunday Services at Washington Street United Methodist Church on March 23 at 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. Nursery is provided from 8:45 a.m. until 12:15 p.m. every Sunday. Visit www.wsumc.com.
There will be an Easter sunrise service at Riverside Park located by the Potomac River at the intersection of Mount Vernon Parkway and Stratford Lane on March 23 at 7 a.m. Free. 703-329-2990.
Mount Vernon Unitarian Church (MVUC) has services and events open to the public, and held at 1909 Windmill Lane. 703-765-5950. Come to one of the following upcoming events:
* March 9, 1-2:30 p.m.: Representative Jim Moran (D-VA) will address social justice issues such as poverty, health care, social services, and US involvement in Iraq.
St. Aidan's Episcopal Church, 8531 Riverside Road has activities happening during Lent and after. 703-360-4220:
* On Sunday mornings (through Mar. 9) at 9:30 a.m., the Adult Education will be focused on the "Millenium Development Goals," a global initiative to help halve world poverty and improve world health by the year 2015.
* Each Monday evening at 7 p.m. (through Mar. 10) there will be a Prayer Exploration Workshop. Adults will have the opportunity each week to try out a different form of prayer, including an imaginative led meditation, a form of prayerful scripture reading called lectio divina, walking the labyrinth, silent contemplative prayer, and a time of sung Taize music. Child care available.
* On Sunday, March 9 at 4 p.m., the rector, John Baker, will bring out his guitar and put on a Blues Concert and Lenten Meditation. Free and open to all.
* On Wednesday, March 19 at 5:30 p.m., families with young children are invited to a kid-friendly Holy Week service which includes dinner and will walk the kids through Jesus' last week with his friends.
* There is also a group of moms and pre-school kids that meets every Wednesday morning at 9 a.m. for coffee, muffins, and fellowship and moves into the church at 9:30 a.m. to take part in the Day School’s chapel service, which is a short child-friendly service full of singing and silliness.
Heritage Presbyterian Church announces the addition of the Rev. Holly K. Davis to their staff as Associate Pastor for Christian Education. Rev. Davis attended college in Indiana and Baltimore, served in Christian mission in rural England, then returned to the U.S. to marry her husband, Van, now a retired pilot for the U.S. Air Force. Rev. Davis and her husband have two grown children and live in Old Town. Heritage Presbyterian Church is located at 8503 Fort Hunt Road.
Convergence: A Creative Community of Faith at 1801 N. Quaker Lane, gathers each Sunday at 5 p.m. for a worship gathering. All are welcome. Visit www.convergenceccf.net, or call 703-998-6260.
First Church of Christ, Scientist, 1509 Collingwood Road, Mount Vernon, is now holding Wednesday evening meetings at 7 p.m. Everyone is welcome. For more information call 703-768-2494.
The Vajrayogini Buddhist Center offers classes in Buddhist Meditation at the Meade Memorial Episcopal Church, 322 North Alfred St. in Alexandria. Classes are held on Tuesday evenings from 7-8:30 p.m. Buddhist Nun Kelsang Varahi will be teaching. $10/class. For more information visit www.meditation-dc.org or call 202-331-2122.
Beth El Hebrew Congregation holds services at 8:15 p.m. on Fridays and 10:30 a.m. on Saturdays. Religious school is on Wednesdays evening and Sunday mornings. Adult learning opportunities take place throughout the year. Tot Shabbat on first and third Saturdays. Kolot Shabbat (musical service) the first Friday of every month at 7:30 p.m. Beth El is located at 3830 Seminary Road in Alexandria. For more information, call 703-370-9400 or visit www.bethelhebrew.org.
Mount Vernon Presbyterian Church has worship at informal service on Sunday at 8:30 a.m. in the Fellowship Hall, or, come to a traditional worship service at 11 a.m. in the sanctuary. Sunday school classes for all ages, start at 9:45 a.m. On Wednesday evenings at 6 p.m. in the Church Library, located in the Fellowship Hall, a group gathers together for a time of fellowship and prayer and a light meal is provided. Mount Vernon Presbyterian Church is located at 2001 Sherwood Hall Lane. 703-765-6118 or visit www.mvpconline.org for more.
Good Shepherd Catholic Church on Mount Vernon Highway in Alexandria is offering a "Coming Home" process at 7:30 p.m. on the first and third Mondays of each month to ask questions, get an update on the church, and to help decide if it's time to reconnect with parish life. Contact Rob Doerschner at 703-822-0523.
The Urban Passage Inc., a faith-based non-profit organization, seeks adult volunteers, 50 years and older, to mentor high-risk youth at the Northern Virginia Juvenile detention Home in Alexandria. Volunteers are also needed to serve as youth advisory council leaders and community service project leaders for a program that serves terminally and seriously ill children at Inova Fairfax Hospital. Call 703-924-9840.
The Christian Women In The Marketplace meets to study God's word at the Royal Restaurant in Old Town Alexandria. The CBWC meets every Wednesday at 7 a.m. for breakfast. Additional information contact Pamela Nilsen at 703-660-6759.
Meditation. Every weekday noon-1 p.m., Roberts Memorial Methodist Church, 606 South Washington St., is open to the public for meditation. Organ music is played during this time. 703-836-7332.
AWANA is an international, non-denominational, Bible centered youth organization providing weekly clubs and programs for ages three-year-old through high school. Engleside Baptist Church's, 8428 Highland Lane, AWANA club consists of three parts, Handbook Time, Council Time, and Game Time. Club meetings are held every Wednesday night during the school year from 7-8:30 p.m. Call 703-780-5410.
Up Where We Belong Family Ministry will hold its Northern Virginia's Super Church event, the third Sunday of every month starting at 10:40 a.m., at Mount Vernon High School's main auditorium. Bring the family and participate in their worship celebration and eligible families will receive free groceries. Pre-registration is necessary. Contact Bishop Robert Lewis Taylor at 703-878-2247.
Christ the Saviour Anglican Church will worship at a new location starting Aug. 5. The services will be held at Washington Mill Elementary School, 9100 Cherry Tree Drive, Mount Vernon. A Christian Education Hour for adults and youth starts at 9:15 a.m., followed by the worship service at 10 a.m. For more details, visit www.christthesaviouranglican.org/.
Rising Hope United Methodist Mission Church, 8220 Russell Road, Alexandria, holds a weekly Sunday celebration service starting at 11 a.m. For more information on Rising Hope's programs call, 703-360-1976. All programs are free.
*"Kingdom of Living" Bible Study held each Monday evening from 6:30-7:30 p.m. The study is led by three members of Rising Hope and focused on understanding specific Bible chapters. Child care is available during each session.
*"Building a People of Power" Empowerment Series held each Tuesday from 6:45-8:30 p.m. A study led by Rev. Keary on Robert Linthicum's book on the Biblical foundation for advocacy and empowerment of people who may feel unable to affect change in systems.
* Celebrate Recovery-- a Christ-centered recovery program with groups for men and women follows the model developed by Saddleback Church, California. This is held each Friday with worship at 6:45 p.m., recovery groups at 7:30 p.m. and fellowship from 8:30-9 p.m. Child care is available, if requested in advance.
* Sunday Morning Adult Bible Study held from 9:30-10:45 a.m. each Sunday. Led by members of Rising Hope with various study guides used. Held at the same time as Rising Hope's Children's Sunday School.