Although St. Patrick’s Day (March 17) falls on a Monday this year, local Irish restaurants and watering holes still offer food, music, and a good time: in Irish, a “craic.” Here are some spots catering to the Irish in everyone:
* The Auld Shebeen. To this City of Fairfax restaurant and bar, St. Patrick’s is not just a day, it is a week. The Auld Shebeen offers live music from 7-9:30 p.m. each night leading up to March 17, and on the day itself, opens at 11 a.m. with live entertainment all day, said owner Dominic Keane. Performers include Irish bands The Flying Cows of Ventry, Cara and the NoVa Irish Session players; as well as dancers from Aoibhneas an Rince and the Fairfax Deputy Sheriff Coalition Pipes and Drums band. “We expect to be very busy,” said Keane, so for those who like food with their beer, reservations for lunch and dinner seatings are recommended. 3971 Chain Bridge Road, Fairfax. 703-293-9600, www.theauldshebeenva.com.
* Kate’s Irish Pub. With a daylong menu of Irish music, Kate’s Irish Pub is ready to celebrate the land of Eire. Cara performs 11 a.m.-3:30 p.m., Don Cobert plays from 4-8:30 p.m. and Dave Berry performs from 9 p.m. until the party winds down. Arrive early: seating is limited after 3 p.m., and no reservations are taken that day. 6131 Backlick Road, Springfield. 703-866-0860, www.katesirishpub.com.
* Ned Devine’s/Ned Kelly’s. This Herndon restaurant and bar opens early — 10 a.m. — to accommodate revelers. Along with all-day live music and dancers, Ned’s also hosts 2U, a U2 cover band. Also, on Saturday, March 15, the Kegbus stops at the bar to ferry people to the daylong arena party Shamrockfest and back, with breakfast and afterparty at Ned’s included ($50). 2565 Centreville Road, Herndon. 703-793-7376 or www.neddevines.com.
* Pat Troy’s Irish Pub. 111 N. Pitt St., Alexandria. 703-549-4535.
* Ireland’s Four Provinces. 105 W. Broad St., Falls Church. 703-534-8999.
* Murphy’s Grand Irish Pub. 713 King St., Alexandria. 703-548-1717.
* Daniel O’Connell’s. 112 King St., Alexandria. 703-739-1124.
— Lea Mae Rice