Aliette Marchois Lechaux, 88, of Alexandria, and Paris, France, died at home, Sept. 2, of complications related to a protracted five-year battle with Parkinson’s disease. She survived her husband, Pierre Aymar Lechaux, who died on Nov. 25, 2007, of_respiratory failure related to lung cancer at Woodbine Rehabilitation Center in Alexandria, and sister, Jacqueline (Marbaux) Marchois, a French actress who lived in France and traveled widely to perform. She died of Kidney failure in the early 1990’s.
A memorial service and reception will be held at Christ Episcopal Church in Alexandria at 11 a.m. on Oct. 18. In lieu of flowers, the family encourages donations to The Carpenters’ Shelter or Saint Margaret’s School or Christ Episcopal Church.
Madame Lechaux is survived by her_ writer daughters, Caroline Lechaux_ Moloney of Alexandria and Dominique Lechaux of New York. Aliette Lechaux was born in Paris, France, to silent film and stage actress, Marcelle (Montclair) Marchois of Paris and the Limousin region and the Marquis Henri de Bonneval.
Madame Lechaux was raised in a Benedictine Convent in Chantilly, France where she spent her free time riding. During the war, she worked in German-occupied Paris as a book binder, doing fine leather collections of the classics she adored so, and writing. Following the war, she was the first fashion editor of the new national newspaper, "Le Monde."
She married medical student and former distinguished soldier and resistance fighter, Aymar Lechaux, in 1949. The newlyweds moved to Philadelphia, Pa., intending to stay a year for Aymar to complete his medical studies at the University of Pennsylvania. Aliette worked for the managing editor of the "Ladies Home Journal" in Philadelphia.
The couple then moved to Georgetown, where, having completed his equivalency medical studies, Aymar Lechaux worked as a resident at Georgetown University, before setting up a nearly half-century-long medical practice in Alexandria.
Aliette gave birth to Dominique in Georgetown in 1953, and Caroline, in Alexandria in 1958. She worked for her husband in his Pediatrics practice for nearly 20 years. Her longest career was spent as a tour guide and interpreter for visiting French dignitaries to Washington.
She was most dedicated to her many charities. The one she most cared about was the Carpenter’s Shelter, where she served meals and cared for the homeless. She was an active member of Christ Church for over 20 years.